The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You can do what most of us are doing and sell your 2700x to fund your new cpu purchase. You are right that samsung stop making B-die instead now they are focus on high density more memory on the sticks as 16x2 32GB of ram has become a very viable option now :)

Great to hear some of you guys are upgrading too :)

Jagman likes this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    "HyperX Predator DDR4 memory was used to set a new overclocking world record for the fastest DDR4 memory frequency at 5608MHz.
    The world record for highest frequency was set by overclocker 'TOPPC' of MSI using a single HyperX Predator DDR4 8G module on an MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC.
    At the time of this release, the record-breaking frequency is posted on HWBOT, the site for PC enthusiasts looking for news, tips and information on overclocking, benchmarks and competitions," says Kingston's gaming division.

I have Fatest Predator |4133MHz CL19 4x8GB| -> i wonder if ZEN2 can run it at 4000-4200MHz CL18 :eek:

I know it's the old record ;) but still....
    -> https://betanews.com/2019/01/22/hyperx-ddr4-5608mhz-ram/

[​IMG]

Jagman likes this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD 7nm EPYC Rome 64 Core & 32 Core Behemoth CPU Specs Leaked

With the launch getting so close it’s no surprise that two AMD behemoths have leaked online. A 64 core, 128 thread EPYC Rome engineering sample CPU and a 32 core, 64 thread EPYC Rome engineering sample CPU.
    Both built on TSMC’s 7nm FinFET process technology and both feature the company’s new Zen 2 microarchitecture. The chips appeared as entries on the SiSoft Sandra benchmark database, so this leak is as legit as they come. With that being said, let’s get into juicy bits!

Related AMD 12 Core Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Series CPU ES Benchmark Leaked – Higher IPC vs Threadripper 1920X

AMD 7nm EPYC Rome 64 Core, 128 Thread CPU ES Specs & Performance Benchmark Leaked
    Let’s first start with the 64 core part, the entry for which has unfortunately since been taken down but luckily we’ve managed to snag all the details beforehand.
    This chip was ranked 3rd on the database’s Arithmetic performance leaderboard before it was taken down, beating every other CPU entry ever recorded on the database except for two.

[​IMG]

This CPU, which is an engineering sample, has the following code name : ZX1406E2VJUG5_22/14_N.
    At least two pieces of information can be discerned from the code name, which is that it has a base clock speed of 1.4 GHz and a Turbo of 2.2 GHz.
    Unfortunately we don’t know the TDP rating for this chip as of yet, nor the final clock speeds that we can expect to see on 64 core EPYCs.
    What we can tell so far however is that these chips will pack a gigantic performance punch.

AMD 7nm EPYC Rome 32 Core, 64 Thread CPU ES Specs & Performance Benchmark Leaked

Moving on to the 32 core part. The entry for this part can still be found on the SiSoft Sandra Database.
    This engineering sample has the following code name : ZS1711E3VIVG5_24/17_N which means that it doesn’t feature much higher clock speeds than its bigger brother.

[​IMG]

In fact it runs at a base frequency of 1.7 GHz and a turbo frequency of 2.4 GHz. Which is surprising considering it has half the number of cores.
    Although this particular chip could be a low power part, which would explain the low clock speeds. And unlike the 64 core ES, this part only appeared on the database once so far.
    Add to that fact that this entry is for a Dell PowerEdge R6515 server, this means that we’re bound to see more of AMD’s EPYC Rome parts as they’re sampled to the company’s partner

s.

Jagman, Jackalito and chispy like this.
  4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    The current AMD EPYC 7601 (32 core) has a base clock of 2.2 GHz and boost clock of 3.2 GHz (12 cores) and 2.7 GHz all cores. With 180w TDP.
    I'm expecting ROME 32 core to at least match that. Personally I think they clocked the 64 core part so low as to not show their hand before release.

chispy likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD X470 and B450 BIOS Updates To Open PCIe 4.0 Support When Paired With an AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Processor

The AMD X570 platform will be the first fully PCIe 4.0 compliant mainstream platform but existing AM4 motherboards such as the ones based on the X470 and B450 chipset would also be open to supporting the new
    PCIe standard when paired with a new Ryzen 3000 series processor & updated to the latest BIOS.

A few days ago, Gigabyte officially unveiled their new BIOS updates for X470 and B450 boards and soon after, users on Reddit (via mVran) found out that their existing X470 motherboards now listed an option for PCIe Gen 4 configuration in the BIOS menu.
    Similarly, veteran leaker Momomo_Us on his twitter feed reported that the same option is available on Gigabyte’s B450 motherboards. This more or less confirms that PCIe 4.0 support will be available on existing AM4 boards but there’s a catch.

While there’s support for PCIe Gen 4.0 on current motherboards, it is only possible with the AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors using the Zen 2 core architecture and even then, only the first PCIe x16 slot is said to be compatible with Gen 4.0 speeds
    as that operates over the CPU PCI-Express lanes while the rest of the slots would still function over the PCH which are only PCIe 3.0 compliant and we can also expect a single M.2 port to run at PCIe 4 speeds.

That’ll mostly vary from board to board.

This support won’t be limited just to Gigabyte motherboards but would be available across all existing AM4 motherboards from major motherboard makers as they have already shipped out their respective AM4 BIOS updates to support AMD’s next-gen Ryzen processors.

[​IMG]

World's First PCIe 4.0 SSD Demo, Phison E16 Hits 4GB/s

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  6. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thats pretty cool on the PCIe going 4.0 for us poor X470 owners ... lol

OnnA and chispy like this.
  7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Ryzen 3000 16 core engineering sample running all cores at 4.2GHz scores 4278 in Cinebench R15, not far off a 24 core Threadripper 2970WX!!...... Retail 12 core samples have a 5GHz (single core?) boost clocks.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Jackalito, OnnA and MaestroBayten like this.
  8. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I noticed the 12 going to 5.0 and the 8 is 4.8 max but the 12 core is 105watt and 8 95watt so i wonder if the 8 will overclock up the 200 mhz to match it this is going by leaked spec's I realize..

9. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    ^ Possibly, but AMDs binning is quite good so it'll be a bit of a silicon lottery (in other words, normal) as to what you get. I'd be more than happy with an 8c/16t 4.2 - 4.4 all core with a 4.8GHz single core boost plus the IPC gains of course :D

10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Agree .......

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Series 16 Core – 3.2 GHz Base, 4.3 GHz Turbo, OCed to 4.2 GHz on All Cores & Benchmarked

Let’s start with the 16 core part. Based on what’s being purported, this chip actually has a base clock speed of 3.2 GHz and only boosts to 4.3 GHz.
    This however, did not stop someone somewhere from overclocking it to 4.2 GHz on all cores and running a Cinebench R15 benchmark on it with quite an astonishing result.

If the leak is to be believed, this 16 core running at 4.2 GHz on all cores scored 4278 points in Cinebench R15.
    To put that into perspective an 8 core Ryzen 7 2700X scores 1828 points. A 16 core Ryzen 7 1950X Threadripper scores 3055 points and Intel’s 16 core i9 7960X scores 3163 points.
    In fact, it takes a core i9 7960X overclocked to nearly 4.8 GHz to match the leaked 16 Core Ryzen 3000 chip at 4.2 GHz.

These results indicate that Zen 2 brings above 10% improvement in IPC in addition to higher clock speeds thanks to the 7nm process.
    Combine that with a doubling of cores, AMD’s Ryzen 3000 series could easily deliver double the multi-core performance of their predecessors up and down the stack.

[​IMG]

AMD Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 Series 12 Core – 5.0 GHz Turbo

Now, moving on to the purported speed demon of the Ryzen 3000 series. This is a 12 core part with a yet unknown base clock speed but one that allegedly boosts to 5.0 GHz right out of the box.
    This chip was allegedly being showed around over the past little while to motherboard makers.
    In fact, just two weeks ago we had reported that such a chip exists and that motherboard makers were taking a look at it, but we had no idea how high it boosted, we just knew that it had a “really high” clock speed.

12. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    ASRock updated my B450M Pro4 to "next gen Ryzen"

1.Supports AMD next generation Ryzen™ processors
    2.Update AMD Combo_PI 1.0.0.1.

They can't sell me one fast enough!

Edit:

I got an added bonus of being able to tweak the BCLK. Hooray!

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    chispy and Jackalito like this.
  13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    An AMD-based system's most important performance pairing lies in the CPU and system RAM, as a million articles written ever since the introduction of AMD's first generation Ryzen CPUs have shown (remember the races for Samsung B-die based memory?).

There are even tools that allow you to eke out the most performance out of your AMD system via fine memory overclocking and timings adjustment, which just goes to show the importance the enthusiast community derives from such tiny details that maximize your AMD Zen-based CPU performance.

Now, notorious leaker @momomo_us has seemingly confirmed that AMD has worked wonders on its memory controller, achieving a base
    JEDEC 3200 MHz specification - up from the previously officially supported DDR4-2666 speeds in the first-gen Ryzen (updated to DDR4-2933 speeds on the 12 nm update).
    The importance of system memory for AMD lies in the fact that the CPU's CCXs use the memory bus as a way to calculate their Infinity Fabric speeds, which allows for inter-CCX communication - higher memory data rates thus equal higher CPU performance as a whole.

The increase in the base JEDEC specification support means that AMD have worked on adding a little grunt to their memory controller which should help
    improve IPC due to increased Infinity Fabric capabilities.

momomo_us also confirmed at least up to 4400 MHz OC "official" support from AMD, a far cry from current AMD Zen silicon - even in its 12 nm iteration.
    Let's wait to see if the current salty 5000+ MHz DDR4 speeds are indeed possible, come the product's launch.

[​IMG]

4400MHz + OC :p -> That phat Infinity Fabric will deliver MOAR :eek:

chispy, Kool64 and Jagman like this.
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    How much low hanging fruit can be left? Here's to hoping there is still an orchard or two left.

chispy likes this.
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    6/12 ZEN2 tested :p (faster than 2700X)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chispy, Kool64, Webhiker and 2 others like this.

16. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I'm really excited for tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a 5 GHz / 4.5 GHz all cores Ryzen 12 core CPU.

OnnA and chispy like this.
  17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    The 6 core X model is looking like it’s going to be a nice “side grade” over my 1600X

MaestroBayten, OnnA and chispy like this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    7.7.2019 Availble in stores

R7 3700X 8/16 65tW 4.4GHz 329$
    R7 3800X 8/16 105tW 4.5GHz 399$
    R9 3900X 12/24 499$
    It should be avaible with ~2 or 3 Games (AMD Sponsored Titles for Gamers)

Ready for PCIe 4.0 Navi GPU.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  19. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    do you think they'll sell the lower end chips starting then too or do you think they'll come later?

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    IMhO they will have it all at start....
    as i said i will pick up this one (with Division 2):
    R7 3700X 8/16 65tW 4.4GHz 329$ --->>>> it's like a Low wattage Power House for Gamers !

Last edited: May 27, 2019