Motherboard / ram for 2700x

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by platypus, May 15, 2019.

1. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Hello all.

I've been out of the hardware scene for many years now, so I'd like some advice on the latest gear if possible.

Some caveats...
    I think I'm locked into a 2700x unless ryzen 3000 has something special up its sleeve.
    It will be running at stock speeds. I'm done with overclocking.
    Looking at x470 simply because I have 6 sata drives and need as many USB ports as I can get. So i/o is the priority.

RAM. I'm not up with any ddr4 so finding something compatible is my biggest problem.
    I believe 3000 and above is necessary.
    The real question is, I would like 32gb. Is this possible and if so will it kill performance? 16gb is doable but I feel it won't be long until 32gb is a requirement.

I have a nice custom water loop sitting in the cupboard but don't really want to go that route unless I have to. As I said, stock is where I'm at these days.

Motherboards at my local shop.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Categories/Motherboards/AMD-Socket-AM4/ATX

RAM at my local.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Categories/Memory-RAM/Desktop-Memory/All-DDR4-Memory

All advice appreciated.

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thought i try to give an answer since no one did.

Well I have this Motherboard that does work fine and if your using 2700X not overclocking which you do not need to overclock anyway it should be fine.Also the motherboard has all the offset voltages if you want.It is also upgradeable if desired in the future.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/631807/MSI-X470-Gaming-Plus-AM4-ATX-Desktop-Motherboard

If you want 32GB Ram I would get this as it would work just fine at rated 3000Mhz. Getting it to run faster with 32GB is a different story but with some voltage I would say the Motherboard above would handle Ram@3200Mz with a voltage bump to 1.38 on the Ram.I also have used 16GB stick in the above motherboard.
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/624500/GSkill-32GB-2x16GB-DDR4-Trident-Z-3000MHz

platypus likes this.
  3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    platypus likes this.
  4. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Thank you so much for your reply.

That's the sort of board I'm after, it doesn't need to be at the extreme end anymore. I haven't used MSI for years, I think the last was a GD70 probably running a 1090T. It's been a while...

I'm a bit conflicted with 32GB. I can see the need for it coming though, some games are starting to get very heavy on ram. I'm currently using 16GB on a 3770. Its adequate for now... just. I'm also thinking with 32GB ecc is starting to enter the equation. That will kill performance for stability. I'm starting to lean back towards 16GB again and do the upgrade with ddr5.

How sparse are these new mobos. Haha, I guess these new CPUs have so much on board now. They look barren!

Looking forward to getting back into an AMD chip.

5. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Thanks for the reply.

That board is out of stock with no more coming due to X570.
    I live in a very remote part of western Australia and shipping here isn't an option unfortunately.

I get the impression with Ryzen there are no really bad boards you must stay away from?

6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I have a 3770K on 2400DDR3 ram and it is good also .The MSI X470 Gaming Plus with 2600X is just a little bit better.
    If you have the 3770 just wait until the Ryzen 2/3 is released because for gaming it is pretty much all the same give or take a few FPS between Intel/AMD.

AMD is the sweet spot now but no need to to waste any money right now just because one CPU can get 5 FPS more than another on a certain game.

If you play games at higher resolutions then any choice you make is pretty much equal.With Ram/CPU/GPU setting,just got to set them up correct.

EG: Of set them up correct but using just Ryzen 2600X Ram settings.

Ryzen vs RAM 2133MHz vs 2400MHz vs 3200MHz vs 3600MHz With Tweaked Timings 2560 x 1440 Ultra setting Shadow Of The Tomb Raider.
    ♦ 2133Mhz (16GB)CL10-10-10-10-21
    ♦ 2400mhz (16GB)CL10-11-11-11-21
    ♦ 3200mhz (16GB)CL14-14-14-14-28
    ♦ 3600mhz (16GB)CL14-15-15-15-42
    Chart of test
    Video Of Test

7. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    I was planning on taking your advice but windows 10 seems to have put an end to that. The upgrade seems to have broken my PC so badly that even Microsoft can't fix it.
    They are going to phone me tomorrow to try and find a solution.

I knew I shouldn't have gone near windows 10.

8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Interesting ,I think Windows 10 is the best operating system I ever used .I am still on 1809 Build 17763.503 on a few machines.I personally could never go back to anything else.
    I am that guy in the neighborhood that fixes the peoples crap computers and I get so pissed off at times when I have to use stuff like Windows 7/Vista taking 5 hours to get something done lol. Hell even the apple stuff from 2010 are better.

Well good luck in getting some help from Microsoft ,if it does not work out I am sure people on this site can walk you through just about anything.

9. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    nothing a good reformat/reinstall probably won't fix.

10. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    It's an interesting one.

I connect to the net via a fritz box and wifi using a fritzbox USB dongle. I can actually connect but the problem is windows can't see that connection if that makes sense. So I can't get updates, have no security, no windows live etc.

Microsoft elevated it again for the 3rd time this morning. They say they have never seen this before.

Microsoft just rang back while I was typing, now saying I might have to reinstall win 7 and start over as it might be an activation problem. They are going to get back to me to confirm.

What is interesting is I got this upgrade for free, even after all this time has passed since the free upgrade offer expired. They certainly haven't said it's a problem and I need to cough up $$.

11. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    $89.00 mb /$99 2x8 Ram 3200/$ 79.99 CPU/R5 1600
    Subtotal$279.97
    Tax$23.10
    Grand Total$303.07
    MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard

Depending on review , i am sure this will be my next build

AMI BIOS