Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    At least Samwell kept himself hydrated. I hope he had some lemons to go along with that water.

[​IMG]

airbud7 and Darkest like this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Best that actors could do in season 8 was to photo-bomb it. Maybe in time, we'll call it futuristic drink season.

airbud7, Darkest and Solfaur like this.
  3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That wasn't a one off either.

[​IMG]

airbud7 and Solfaur like this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It's the damn hot winter days in Westeros, you need all the fluids you can get.

airbud7 and Darkest like this.

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Seems they were all offered drinks so that they would not fight like usual. How is Edmure still so bloody stupid? How come they are fine with the north being independent but all the others are fine to be part of the now 6 kingdoms.
    Why is Bran suitable? He didn't like it as a kid, he didn't want Winterfell as an adult either and says himself he is not even Bran and spends most of the time in the past. How on earth is that suitable?
    Surely others would not want that the Starks take over just about everything.

When Dany died I felt nothing because "that's not her". We had 3 really bad guys to deal with in ONE short season, and we already know what the show does to the mad dogs, it kills them in the end and since the season was so short you would know her death would come quick. So it just appears that her going mad was just to create a bit of dumb entertainment at the end of the show.

The best comment on the show I've seen is this:
    "Arya went west, Jon went north, Drogon went east and the show went south".

Well, I plan on watching, since at least one of them will be based on the books and D+D will not be involved.
    Although GoT went down the gutter in the end it still provided an enormous amount of entertainment... so it's worth checking out. I hope HBO realizes that they cannot mess it up like this series..

Icanium likes this.
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Well that was a thing.

On reflection GOT seemed like we happened to be watching a pivotal point in Westero's history, that we would see climatic events and the likes of things we would never see again or would have seen at any other point in the land's history and that the conclusion would be something truly ground breaking and pivotal. So why do I feel on reflection and having read a bit about the back story and lore that all we saw was just a little slice of an on going history and that for the most part very little has changed?

Dragons were around before are back and may well remain back given that Drogon buggered off somewhere.
    An elected King? How is that any different to Robert, he got a bunch of his mates to back him up and elected himself to be King by killing the current ruler, people will be people and someone who believes they have a more legit claim will do what they can do to act on that claim how are things any different?
    The North was independent before, it's independent again right up until someone says you know what lets make this the seven Kingdoms again
    The Night King was about the only real resolve but it turned out to be such a one dimensional plot line with nothing going on in the background that for we now the next time Winter rolls round the white walkers may well be back.

I mean I am not dis-appointed when it was good it was bloody good when it was bad it was silly and rushed and the last two seasons 100% needed to be longer with better paced character development it certainly would have given a tad more meat to bones that we got but you know what has been a source of additional on going enterainment? The folk who have done nothing but complain and bitch and moan and whine and poke holes and point out flaws and done their videos and suggested how things could have been better and yet have still watched the show right through to the end....

am I being stupid but if something is as bad as some people are making out then why on gods green earth do people still watch? The only thing more silly than some of the stuff in the last two seasons are the folk complaining that this last season has some how retroactively made the earlier seasons worse AND THEN still kept watching.

7. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yes let's pander to the 'real fans', perhaps you would care to explain what a real fan is? Is it one of the vocal minority who thinks that their opinion is the one that matters because they shout the loudest about how they disliked the the thing the show did. The folk who turn up on forums like these every single episode to do nothing but complain about how the thing they watched isn't the thing they wanted, or jumped on to youtube to complain about how an episode about a siege on a castle by the undead being lead by a winter wizard riding a dragon wasn't quite in keeping with historical battle tactics and how THEY could have done better?

What about the quiet majority that watch week after week and are happy with what they get, that they see the time, effort and cost that has gone in to the show and perhaps are able to over look the flaws for the fact that they are getting a piece of entertainment on a scale that most networks would not be willing to put the time and money in to and accept it for what it was when taken as a whole a bloody good piece of entertainment?

The last two seasons may have been a bit of a let down but you know what, this show has kept me entertained for 8 years now, via social media, news articles various videos, forums posts and the show itself it has given me 8 years of entertainment and while it has had some mis steps and mistakes over those years, so bloody what? Yes I will buy the complete boxset when it comes out and will no doubt be further entertained and that will be despite knowing how the whole thing ends.. Does the mis steps of the last season suddenly mean you were not entertained by the previous 7 years of content we got, if it does then sorry can you really call yourself a real fan?

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone else glad that it's over?
    I think I'll watch Season 1-6 once again (and maybe even 7) for fun but obviously skip 8.

airbud7 and emperorsfist like this.
  9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Actually, yes, in a way. Just like countless others, you have resorted to "bitching about people bitching", thinking that you're somehow different. Your two posts are more or less several paragraphs that read "Why do some people hate what I like?!" Why do you care? The show's over, is it not? If you were so happy being part of the "silent majority" that was continuously "entertained for eight years", why not stay that way? It's not like anything's going to change, apart from the two writers possibly feeling slightly butthurt for a few moments, because someone on the internet questioned their skills as TV writers.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Dragam1337, Solfaur and Darkest like this.
  10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    lol, k :oops:

Newsflash, you're in the minority, not majority in this matter anymore, because surprisingly, even the mainstream media caught up (for a change) with how bad this pathetic excuse of a season and series finale was. Also, why the butthurt? Are you somehow related to the production of this show, are you directly affected by the (objective) criticism in some way? You say you liked it? I'd have said good for you mid-season, but now that it's over, I can only feel sorry for the very, very, VERY poor taste you must have, if this tripe is even remotely entertaining to you. That, or you're into parodies.

At this point it's irrelevant of how good the show was in the previous seasons, with such a disgrace of an ending, it ruined its entire legacy. You got me I guess, I'm not a true fan anymore, because I'm not willing to close my eyes and pretend season 8 never happened.

Dragam1337 and Darkest like this.

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    https://www.pedestrian.tv/film-tv/sophie-turner-blasts-got-petition/

How about that...

“All of these petitions and things like that — I think it’s disrespectful to the crew, and the writers, and the filmmakers who have worked tirelessly over 10 years, and for 11 months shooting the last season,” she said. “Like 50-something night shoots. So many people worked so, so hard on it, and for people to just rubbish it because it’s not what they want to see is just disrespectful.”

Hang on a minute there lady! People invested a considerable amount of time to watch the show, they bought the DVD's/Blu-ray's and merchandise, stuff that pays your wages and you slam them like that ? The saying "never bite the hand that feeds you" springs to mind and I'm a firm believer in that saying.

and from the same site, here's Kit Harrington at it.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/film-tv/kit-harington-reacts-to-critics/

“How I feel about the show right now is quite defiant. I think no matter what anyone thinks about this season — and I don’t mean to sound mean about critics here — but whatever critic spends half an hour writing about this season and makes their [negative] judgement on it, in my head they can go frack themselves. ‘Cause I know how much work was put into this,”

I don't think anyone is disputing the amount of work that went into the show, even the last season, if anything I have seen many critics applauding the effort from acting, to directing to CGI and the rest. People just have a beef with the writing but whatever.

Solfaur, Dragam1337 and Darkest like this.
  12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The people who have been disrespected are the fans, the people who kept the show going for 8 seasons and gave many of the younger actors on the show the careers they have today. They're the ones who bought the box sets, paid the cable or streaming bill, bought the merch. Hard work doesn't mean something is going to turn out well, and while many members of the crew most definitely put a lot of hard work in, I do not for a moment believe that to be true of the writing team. Then there's the numerous cock ups in the editing, Starbucks cups and water bottles littered around left and right, episode 3 being way too dark etc.

Just because you put effort into something does not mean you cannot be criticised, that is what this petition essentially is, it's a way for the common man to voice his concerns in a way that can be heard. If you go to a five star hotel due to past experiences, only to find your mattress on the floor, the light-bulbs broken, and the bathroom mirror missing, you're going to complain about it. You're not going to shrug it off on the basis someone worked really hard to paint the walls and fit the carpets.

Solfaur and Dragam1337 like this.
  13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I am sad more than anything... still can't really believe that it ended as it did...

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    And so the fan-shaming stage started.

Sucks that it's coming from the actors, towards whom I had nothing bad to say, as I could tell most of them gave all they got with what they had. As Repo Man said, both Sophie and Kit were basically kids at the start of this and ended up super-stars. Maybe, just maybe show a bit of gratitude and not attack the fans, ESPECIALLY when virtually nobody blamed them for the mess? My only explanation is they both still have some sort of contract and have to say these things. If that's not the case, shame on them, since again, nobody was blaming the actors (on the contrary).

Darkest and Dragam1337 like this.
  15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    They're sticking up for their colleagues, what did you expect. That whole production crew is a family, like it or not.
    To think you'd be above lashing out due to frustration is kind of silly to me. They're just people.

16. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    You know what, you're right. the shows done I am not 100% happy with the way things went but I am not part of the crowd that wants to pick the bones. They could have done things better if people want to be part of the 'well the whole thing was a waste of time and made more terrible by the events of season 8' crowd then by all means go for it. I am happy with the moments we got. The shock of the Red Wedding, the terror of watching John and the survivors barely escape Hardhome and watching as the Night King raises the dead, seeing Drogon come to Dany's rescue from the Sons of the Harpy and while they may have all resulted and lead to the ending we got, those moments IN those moments, the debate, discussion and feeling will remain unchanged. I owed the show nothing and the show certainly doesn't owe me anything. I am glad we got to see something on this scale and scope brought to life over the course of a decade and when it was good my god was it f*cking good and when it was bad it was head slapingly bad and the net result was something that still turned out to be better than most stuff we get.

If folk want to spend the next year picking the bones, by all means feel free. I am not sure it will change much. I would love to see a redone last two seasons that fleshes out some the plot points that were quickly brushed over but I suspect that 'fan' reaction in this case may have the opposite effect to what they are hoping.

So yeah I am done with GOT for now I'll leave these two here, the first link has a review which actually kinda sums up how I think about the whole thing. It was fine, great when it was great bad when it was bad and could have been a hell of a lot worse and actually throws out a theory that I never picked up on about Bran and the 3 eye Raven. The second I just thought was funny.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/05/20/game-of-thrones-right-ending-weird-execution/

NSFW

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Glad that is over, and I offer nothing but indifference to the mess the producers had on the last season.
    Lesson learned, no more overhyped series for me. And remember to stick to books, there is a certain level of immersion at the personal level reading a good story.

emperorsfist and Solfaur like this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Production of finale was as amateur as one can get. They wanted to make bittersweet ending. But what they actually did:
    - everyone who was to die died
    - everyone who was to survive did survive
    - Starks Got 2 Thrones... making North free

I call that pretty good ending as long as we excuse poor writing which made those deaths possible. And actually poorly written scenes of death itself. (They made it as uneventful as possible.)

So, how did they tried to make it bittersweet?
    - cold color filter
    - sad background music

At best this finale induces Cognitive Dissonance. And this "happy ending" made me sad. Not because of color filter and sad music, but because I realized that even last episode was broken.

Who saw explanations made by Dumb&Dumber knows that almost everything they did in 8th season was done for wrong reasons.
    Like when they made Daenerys go bonkers... Then they realized that people will be like: "WTF?" And would not actually care about those town's folk being burned as they would still be like: "WTF?!?" after she was done 20 minutes later.
    So they brought perspective of Arya (making another stupid plot in process) in attempt to dislike Daenerys for endangering her. But we were even more like: "WTF!?!"
    = = = =

At this moment I am not sure If I want to see what's west of Westeros. And this is the worst part, because Arya is my character and they did not do her justice. (And I do not mean Maisie by that, she did great what they ask her to do.)

And that's another sad part. Entire Crew did brutally good job at delivering disappointingly written season. And there is no way to fix it.

Dragam1337 and Solfaur like this.
  19. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Oh boohoo, some of you bought dvd's and had to suffer by watching the show whilst you still enjoyed it and get upset when literally some children who grew up working on the show that you love/loved so much gets upset with the internet dribble (some of it justified), but the internet Steven Spielberg and Tolkien writers are all coming out of their caves lol.

Like Amaze said, you guys should be well, well above this.

Just remember, you have the book to look forward to :)

The Laughing Ma likes this.
  20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Nails it

Solfaur likes this.