Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I usually steer clear of bandwagons but I decided to make this the one to hop on and I signed it :p

Like you say, it won't do anything but its good for the giggles.

PS. over 700k signatures now lol

Darkest, Solfaur and Dragam1337 like this.
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It will do nothing for s8 of course but it might influence the prequels.

Darkest, Solfaur and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    An estimated 10.7 million U.S. employees say they plan to skip work on Monday, the day after the long-awaited conclusion to HBO’s hit fantasy series, according to a survey from the Workforce Institute at Kronos Incorporated. However, absences may just be part of the problem for employers, as about 27.2 million employees said the finale could cause them to miss work, show up late, work from home or otherwise be less productive than they would on a normal Monday.

While employers may be tempted to chastise workers who experience “Game of Thrones” hangovers, any attempt to embrace the massive television event could have a positive effect on office morale.

“What do we say to the God of Absence? Not today – or at least organizations can if they embrace, not avoid, a cultural phenomenon like the 'Game of Thrones' series finale,” said Joyce Maroney, executive director at the Workforce Institute. “Empower employees with flexible schedules and the ability to request time off or swap shifts from anywhere, at any time so they can enjoy moments that matter in their lives, and don’t be shy to use pop culture common ground to build camaraderie with employees and managers.”

The final season of “Game of Thrones” has shattered HBO viewership records, and that trend will undoubtedly continue for the finale. About one-third of all employed U.S. adults, or 34 percent, plan to watch the live broadcast, according to poll data.

The Workforce Institute conducted the survey in partnership with Harris Poll. The online survey asked questions of 1,090 employed U.S. adults aged 19 and older from May 7 to May 9. The firm said its percentages are based on the survey results and U.S. census data.

The final episode airs at 9 p.m. ET on HBO.

I'm going fishing Monday an blame it on Game of Thrones! ......Shhhhh! ...don't tell the Boss! :D

4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Wow, for a damn TV-show.. I wouldn't ever do that. The talk of office morale is BS though, as wages have been quite stagnant for ages, lots of people do not even take vacations because the corporate stranglehold on society is that vast.

airbud7 and Solfaur like this.

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I used to be like that, wake up early (never actually skipped work or was late though, lol) for the latest episodes to avoid spoilers. In season 8 though, I only did it for episode 3 and boy was I pissed that I didn't sleep 1 more hour, didn't make that mistake again.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    People are strange.

7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its simple, in season 8 they had to have and after show to explain to us the audience what was going on.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™

This is waaaaaaaay beyond strange. It's beyond alarming. Fictional tv series, my god!

Do people have no control over themselves?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sad part is that their explanations proven them to be even more stupid than actual episode made them look like.
    No, and you are not in control either. You take dozens of compulsive actions every day and do not even realize.

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Bitter sweet ending my arse... MEH ending is more like it... -_-

Idiotic all the way through... like really... why didn't drogon burn / eat john? Why didn't greyworm kill john AND tyrion? No way that he would have agreed to ever let john or tyrion live.

And i really still don't buy the "DANY IS BATSHIT CRAZY YALL!!!11"...

Adjusted my overall rating of the show from 10 to 7.

Last edited: May 20, 2019

11. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Aside from being one of the most boring thing i've watched this year, the underwhelming level of the conclusion is on the scale of Star Wars The last Jedi.

"What would be satisfying? ok, let's not do any of that" :eek:

I mean... it felt like watching Lord of the Ring movie trilogy final slow paced 15min, extended to an hour.
    But plot twist: in Lord of the ring, Frodo put the damn ring into the lava damn it, that's satisfying!

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    The finale was the cherry on the top of a steaming pile of crap, that was season 8, and the last nail in the coffin of what was GoT. For me, this was the worst, underwhelming, non-sensical, boring ending of a TV show that I've ever seen. At no point did anything make any sense.

I give up Dumb&Dumber, every single one of my expectations has been subverted...

And to sum up season 8: WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN

RIP GoT

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    airbud7, XenthorX, Dragam1337 and 2 others like this.
  13. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I have been wondering how s8 and the final episode will impact the planned prequels. Will fans who waited two years for the crap that was the final episode still want to see GOT prequels? Before s8 I was looking forward to the GOT prequels but after s8 no longer. S8 just shot the prequels if the foot.

Dragam1337, Darkest and Solfaur like this.
  14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I had accepted the fact that the last episode wouldn't be anything special, so i did find the episode rather OK.
    The dragon flying away was a bit too much though. But its a happy end how everything turned out, so im good with that.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think it is one of most decadent show finales I ever saw.

16. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I'm probably going to be in the minority here but I think they ended the show well. Yes we had some brain farts again like what Dragam1337 said about Greyworm and him not killing Tyrion and Jon or at least trying. When Jon stabbed Daenerys I was totally expecting Greyworm to come at him and this would have lead to a duel that could have maybe ended in Jon's favour or something. Problem is, you kill Jon and you piss off almost all the viewers, kill Greyworm and you get "omg #GoTsowhite!" not to mention it would have been treading at trope territory which is what GoT tries ( whether successfully or unsuccessfully is up for discussion ) to actively avoid.

I keep playing different scenarios in my head for all the characters and when I do, all the outcomes lead to a situation where a fan favourite would die and this resulting in more dislikes toward the show so I suppose they chose a "safe ending" and I'm cool with that. Just a shame the lead up to it was so sloppy.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I knew the finale was going to be a stinking pile of crap, but it exceeded all my expectations and was even worse!

Seasons 1-5 = 8/10
    Season 6 = 7/10
    Season 7 = 6.5/10
    Season 8 = 3/10

The nonsensical season 8 has managed to ruin the entire show for me, I'll never go back to it again knowing the end result. It was badly written and researched trash. The fact that the two clowns behind it are now dipping their incompetent legs into Star Wars, another of my favourite franchises, is just flat out depressing. I didn't think things could get worse after TLJ and Solo but if it's possible Benioff and Weiss are the guys to do it.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    This video explains pretty much perfectly the entire issue with GoT.

Icanium, Darkest and Solfaur like this.
  20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I hope they didn't sign a contract already for the SW movies. Disney should REALLY reconsider their decision, if it's not too late. I was in shock after I've seen TLJ and felt so depressed on the SEVERAL interviews with Mark Hamill, who you could literally see how they broke his heart with the messed up direction this new trilogy had. And that prick Ryan Johnson was even defending Dumb&Dumber in his tweets a while ago. These assholes should be out of jobs in a normal world, where the opinion of the real fans actually mattered. But we live in a messed up world, where extremely small, but vocal minorities get to ruin everything with their BS...SUBVEEEEERSIOOOOOOOOON! :mad:

airbud7, Icanium, Darkest and 2 others like this.