American senator proposes bill against loot boxes in games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 14, 2019.

1. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Hey guys, let's not make this a political thread.

3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Loot-box is a little bit (a lot in fact) like gambling and this is something that is regulated by pretty much all government.

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Anarchy is not really a good political system.

Fox2232 likes this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    EA "The Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that our massive backroom lobbyist payments have dissolved this bill permanently. The last remnants of the old gambling laws have been swept away.
    Activision" That's impossible! How will the we maintain control without the bureaucracy?
    EA: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories, and lobbiest payments will keep the locals in line.

lol

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    seems reasonable.
    The loot box stuff being marketing to children is all too similar to the way cigarettes were marketed to teenagers,
    highly predatory.

I've seen the nature of it, one fellow I knew spent thousands on "lootboxes" and he thought it was something to lord over others, very sad.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
  8. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    They have adults hooked on it, why not include the kids? LOL, Again our GOV has there hands full, don't want the kids gambling spend more time with them!!! Its not rocket science and if little timmy gets bullied about it teach him to fight, that's what they did back in my youth.
    The title says it is political already, you think someone on capital hill give 2 chits REALLY?

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Surprising seeing a 'govt is the problem' conservative...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...9a1c81ad2e544f001dcf6/?utm_term=.addfa4f08810
    Though again, I read the article and it is impossible to tell what his real ideas are because he just talks about 'changing the culture' and not concrete policies...well, 'loot boxes' and he's 'against the elites' while being a meatshield for the one in the White House.

[​IMG]
    :p

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Seatbelts and helmet laws...the end.

Geeze..this should be easier to find...

Senator Hawley’s legislation would apply new consumer protections to games played by minors including: • Games targeted at those under the age of 18. • This would be determined by subject matter, visual content, and other indicators similar to those used to determine applicability of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) • Games with wider audiences whose developers knowingly allow minor players to engage in microtransactions
    In such games, this bill would prohibit several forms of manipulative design:
    Loot Boxes • Microtransactions offering randomized or partially randomized rewards to players
    Pay-to-Win • Manipulation of a game’s progression system – typically by building artificial difficulty or other barriers into game progression – to induce players to spend money on microtransactions to advance through content supposedly available to them at no additional cost • Pay-to-win - Manipulation of the competitive balance between players of multiplayer games by allowing players who purchase microtransactions competitive advantages over other players
    Enforcement • These rules would be enforced by the Federal Trade Commission, which would treat the distribution of such games by publishers and online distributors as an unfair trade practice. • State attorneys general would also be empowered to file suit to defend the residents of their states.

https://www.hawley.senate.gov/senat...nipulative-video-game-features-aimed-children

https://go.usa.gov/xmUQn

Last edited: May 18, 2019

11. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    the bill is here:
    https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/s748/text

have a teaser:

Sec. 1. Table of contents.

Sec. 2. Definitions.

Sec. 3. Online collection, use, and disclosure of personal information of children and minors.

Sec. 4. Fair Information Practices Principles.

Sec. 5. Digital Marketing Bill of Rights for Minors.

Sec. 6. Targeted marketing to children or minors.

Sec. 7. Removal of content.

Sec. 8. Privacy dashboard for connected devices for children and minors.

Sec. 9. Prohibition on sale of connected devices for children and minors that fail to meet appropriate cybersecurity and data security standards.

Sec. 10. Rule for treatment of users of websites, services, and applications directed to children or minors.

Sec. 11. Study of mobile and online application oversight.

Sec. 12. Youth Privacy and Marketing Division.

Sec. 13. Enforcement and applicability.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

What does it tell that it took nearly 70 posts to get the actual content posted in the thread? :eek:

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    you are now my common sense guru buddy.

I have no clue why people think the government should micromanage every aspect of simple everyday life.

last time I checked life in itself was a Gamble....Now give my kid his dam loot box that I paid for!
    :p

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, sorry. Loot box was meant to be empty anyway. So hand over more cash, unless you was in that for box itself. But it is digitally distributed in form of text.
    "Box" - Here you go.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    If I buy that sh*t they better airdrop it in my front yard now!

[​IMG]
    now that's my definition of real loot box^

:D

sverek and Fox2232 like this.

16. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    I dont get something, if buying something not knowing what's inside but you are expecting something in particular is gambling.
    Why aren't Kinder eggs and other kids stuffs gambling?

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    .... they are. But nobody cares since it's not popular to bash chocolate manufacturers. I called it hypocracy for a reason.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE

If lootboxes get banned, Valve will have to get off their lazy asses and start making games again. Hello HL3

Fox2232 likes this.
  19. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Tell me how to feel? :p:confused::eek::rolleyes:

airbud7 likes this.
  20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    the only reason i want this thing to pass is so that games can no longer use this as a crutch instead of making really good games. Adults are savvy to this method of predatory sales tactics, kids are not and only kids think its worth paying 5 bucks for some emotes and a gold skin or something.