MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. aj_hix36

aj_hix36 Member

I can confirm this works.

2. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    also work for me thanks !!!

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    @Unwinder I'm really enjoying that well made Steampunk skin! And I'm not that much of a skin guy (I used the default skins for ages!)

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    does AB curve editor cause a visual bug in RTSS OSD ?!

this gameplay video i recorded locked the gpu clock to 2200mhz which is doable on my gpu but it never keep those numbers because of the temps , however AB locked the numbers to 2205mhz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMZrGOGLKs

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There is no any “ visual bug”.

6. Unwinder

7. Unwinder

I cannot disclose details yet, but some more skins by Chris are around the corner.

eGGroLLiO and toyo like this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Kaldaiens a bit of a wanker at times, hes probably tripped over a weird rendering engine bug specific to Yakuza or his own overlay is the problem.

9. Unwinder

Some development news:

There will be some changes in Vulkan hooking implementation in the next beta. If you followed Vulkan specs, then you probably heard about nice concept of Vulkan layers. Layers are aimed to provide official mechanism, allowing to intercept 3D application’s Vulkan API calls, i.e. do exactly what each third party overlay hook is doing. Layers indeed greatly simplify the task of API hooking and minimize the risk of conflicts between multiple simultaneously running Vulkan overlays. However, concept of layers has one rather serious disadvantage: each implicit Vulkan layer installed in the system is _always_ active and passively monitor intercepted API calls even when overlay software is not running. So any bug in Vulkan overlay, which is implemented as Vulkan layer, may easily prevent Vulkan applications from running, even if you simply install such application with bugged overlay without actually running it (that was the case in Vulkan overlay/videocapture layer of one competing videocapture software for example).

I strongly dislike the idea of having something RTSS overlay related permanently active in the system when you even don’t start RTSS, so I’m still using traditional API hooks to manually intercept Vulkan API calls exactly like under DirectX/OpenGL APIs.

However, such implementation (i.e. Vulkan overlay working as traditional API hook) has disadvantages too. Vulkan is a low-level API, so many things like parameters validation or software readbacks from ICD are purposely missing in API in favor of optimizing performance. Lack of readback interfaces means that API will not allow you to read a logical or physical Vulkan owner device from swapchain for example. So to implement Vulkan overlay via traditional API hooks you absolutely need to intercept Vulkan device and swapchain creation. That’s exactly why Vulkan OSD in RTSS is invisible if you dynamically start RTSS while Vulkan application is already running – hook needs to be active during Vulkan application initialization to know which physical device creates logical device and which logical device creates the swapchain. That’s also the reason why special RTSS configuration can be necessary for certain Vulkan applications, which load Vulkan runtimes dynamically (e.g. setting application detection level to high for Rage 2).

In the next RTSS beta I’ll try to combine both approaches. There will be new tiny RTSS Vulkan bootstrap layer (just 30Kb total), which will be always active and do nothing but monitor Vulkan device and swapchain creation, precache device and swapchain handles and provide interface for RTSS overlay to read that data from bootstrap layer. So actual overlay renderer will be still implemented as traditional API hook, loaded only when RTSS process is active. This way the risk of affecting the system by bootstrap layer will be minimal. At the same time it will allow seeing Vulkan overlay with dynamic RTSS start scenario. It will also remove the need of special profile configuration for Vulkan applciations like Rage 2.

Susahamat, The1, eGGroLLiO and 3 others like this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Couldn't you add the layer on start and remove it on rtss close? the khronos layer reg keys are related to what you're talking about right? (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ImplicitLayers)

11. Unwinder

Correct, those registry keys are the places where Vulkan layers are registered. Of course you can add the layer on RTSS start and remove it on close, but from functionality point of view it will be close to equal to what we have now. This way you still won't be able to render Vulkan overlay if you first launch Vulkan application then start RTSS while Vulkan app is running.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ah, yes that occurred to me as soon as i'd posted.

13. Unwinder

It is time to test the next beta with new Vulkan layer implementation, which I mentioned a few posts above. RTSS v7.2.3 Beta 1 Build 20575 is uploading and will be avaialable for download soon. Changes list includes:

· Updated digital signature for the installer and the main executable. Considering that whitelisting new digital signature in anticheat systems may take significant amount of time, the previous whitelisted MSI GlobalSign digital signature is still being used for hook libraries, media encoding core and plugins in order to provide continuous gaming experience to the community
    · Interoperability D3D11 page flips on some systems are now filtered by framerate calculation module in OpenGL/Vulkan applications. This change should fix issues with On-Screen Display flickering and double displayed framerate in new experimental Vulkan codepath in No Man’s Sky under certain conditions
    · Added workaround for Intel HD Graphics Direct3D driver bug, causing some parts of On-Screen Display to be invisible or rendered in solid black color in Direct3D8 and Direct3D9 applications on integrated Intel GPUs
    · Added Vulkan bootstrap layer for Vulkan On-Screen Display implementation. Now On-Screen Display in Vulkan applications is supported for dynamic RivaTuner Statistics Server start scenario (i.e. when you start RivaTuner Statistics Server while target Vulkan application is already running). Bootstrap layer usage also eliminates the need of setting application detection level to high for some Vulkan applications loading Vulkan runtimes dynamically (e.g. Dota 2 or Rage 2)
    · Improved implementation of hook library connection to shared memory. New implementation improves On-Screen Display compatibility with some third party applications (e.g. PPSSPP) for dynamic RivaTuner Statistics Server start scenario
    · Improved skin engine:
    o Optimized skin rendering performance for skins using multiple overlapped animated indicators
    o Added position smoothing support to skinned indicators

ultraex2003 and toyo like this.
  14. Unwinder

15. Unwinder

BTW, scanline sync technology celebrates one year tomorrow. We launched it on May 28th 2018.

Huge thanks goes to @mdrejhon for catalyzing this amazing feature. ;)

Adiurd, toyo, HARDRESET and 2 others like this.

16. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    rage 2 overlay is ok after new update v7.2.3 Beta 1 Build 20575 !!

17. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    I can also confirm it's working.

18. Unwinder

Thanks ;) Furthermore, I can confirm it too ;)

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Unwinder, i have a small (if not pedantic) request about the Ctrl+Add profile window, can the default behaviour be to have all items deselected instead of selected?

If there is a checkbox somewhere that already does this, I have not seen it.

20. Unwinder

There is no such checkbox somewhere, but I'll think about it.

HARDRESET likes this.