ASUS VG278QR (G-Sync Compatible)

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Indomitux, May 15, 2019.

1. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

Hi there,

I've just bought this monitor two days ago and i think G-Sync doesn't work. I'm making crazy..

I think that I've configured the monitor in the right way...i hope...following the official Nvidia steps..

I turned on monitor (Freesync activated by default) and Nvidia control panel immediately detected G-Sync compatible monitor. Perfect (The monitor is included in the Nvidia compatibility list)

Nvidia Control Panel : Vsync ON (OFF inside games)
    Nvidia Control Panel : Max refresh
    Nvidia Control Panel: Type model monitor ->G-Sync Compatible.

So far, everything should be ok.
    Configuration resolution: 1920x1080 165hz Windows 10. Perfect detected.

The point is...

I run all my games and Fraps, Rivaturner,etc shows fixed 60fps and monitor 120Hz. No changes, no VRR... I don't understand why... I think it's not working and games are running like a 60Hz standar monitor.

No tearing,stuttering,etc...but only 60fps stacked when fps should change 80...87...92...95...102...etc and the monitor everytime at 120Hz.

Can someone help me, please?

2. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

Btw, displayport connected.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    On the GSync tab in NVCP, make sure Step 3 is also enabled. "Enable settings for the selected display model"

4. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

Yes, it's enabled too. More options? I've tried all what i know...

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I know with my Samsung that I have to turn the monitor off/on to get GSync to work properly. The driver seems to have this issue. Also check CRU to make sure FreeSync range is reported and correct.

6. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    In some games i had to force vsync on in nvidia cpl and disable full screen optimizations from game executable to get gsync working. Also I used rtss to limit fps below refresh rate so it stays in gsync mode to avoid that annoying vsync input lag. If gsync doesnt work i just run games without sync tech.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  7. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

mkh, yes, you're right. Nvidia indicates to configure inside NV control panel -> gsync and vsync = YES both must work together
    I've disabled freesync monitor (Nvidia gsync compatible menu and options disappear) and i've noticed games work in the same way!! (no tearing,smooth,etc). Monitor 165hz and fraps 60fps.
    So i guess Nvidia Compatible is not working because FPS(games) everytime is locked to 60fps. I don't undersand!!
    More suggestions? Please.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    What games are you trying this on? What driver version are you using?

I have similar VG278Q (also certified Gsync Compatible) and have no issues. Except with Fallout 4 where I must set things up in a very specific way to make Gsync work.
    Otherwise I get the exact same behavior as you said, reported framerate half of refresh rate and refresh rate is fixed (72 fps and 144 Hz).

Most likely due to the fact that FO4 forces an fps cap unless you remove it.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Try using RTSS for your FPS counter instead of FRAPS, or if you have GFE installed, use that.

10. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

Almost the same monitors, just a little difference 165/144hz. Enough to play all kind of games. Both very good monitors.

Yes! fps 60 and monitor Hz 120! as you said. So, in this case, it means that gsync compatible is not working?? or is it working perfect??

11. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

I'm gonna try them. Thank you.
    RTSS 60fps like fraps.
    I'll try GFE...

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Why are you capping at 60fps?

13. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

Capping by itself. All games run 60fps but i dont cap anything. GSync changes everything by itself and i cant do anything. That's the point. I don't know how to change fps to dynamic.

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Ahh, ok. You need to do 2 things: 1) Make sure NVCP has a monitor profile for the desired resolution and refresh. If not, create one. 2) Use CRU and make a matching profile if there isn't one already. 3) Restart driver.

Something is causing VSync to cap at 60. Try setting power to Adaptive or Prefer Max.

15. Indomitux

Indomitux Guest

1- Config NVCP -> 1920 x 1080 165hz already done. This point OK
    2- Done
    3- Done

No changes :( I start a game (BF1,5..COD...BOPS...etc) and 60fps fixed everytime. It doen't change values to dynamic and sync Asus monitor also 120hz fixed. It's like something is capping the fps games or Gsync compatible is working in this way. I dont know.