RTX 2070 - nothing new - stuttering

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by driften12, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. driften12

driften12 Guest

It spikes in game. On desktop it’s rather stable.

Valve says it's ISP issue. Nvidia says it's hardware issue, so I contacted Gigabyte. I'd rather think it's connected with software, but I'm out of ideas how to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  2. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    CSGO was a similar situation with vsync on, with vsync off I was getting frametime inconsistencies, but that's normal when the framerate fluctuates.

Can I just ask, are the actual microstutters you are seeing just with CSGO then? And do they occur when vsync is on and off? The main thing you mentioned about Battlefield V was seeing frametime spikes but assuming you're getting framerates of 80+ due to turning off vsync / framelimiter, then not having smooth frametimes is completely normal.

As an additional note, I've been playing around with my PC more and was able to get the same smooth framerates with Speedstep, Speedshift, Turbo Boost and C States enabled. Turns out they work without issue when I installed all the Intel drivers from MSIs website, which for some reason are much newer than the official Intel ones.

This is true.

3. driften12

driften12 Guest

I know frametime can fluctuate, cause it depends on what's happening on screen. But I'm getting frametime spikes - when it suddenly rises from 2-3 ms to like 30-50 ms or even more, and I don't know why.

This can be related to frametime plot on 9600k, discovered by GN - google it
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure though, cause it can explain random stutters during game, but it doesn't explain the stutters I get right after I join the server / players join the server / players spawn next to me.

Also, stutters are more visible with maxed out graphic settings. When I turn overything low, the stutters are still there, but are less visible. Thats why I suspect GPU/CPU

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  4. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    Maybe it's windows 10 backgrounds tasks. Try shutup 10 with recommended settings and ISLC. Helped me some.

5. driften12

driften12 Guest

Unfortunately, it's not. I did some heavy monitoring, also optimized windows 10 - no result.

I think I'll try to RMA the CPU and change it to 9900k - let's see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  6. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    Before you fork out cash on a 9900k, make sure that your motherboard isn't going to cause throttling issues with it. If yours is this one (https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/asro...th-gen-core-atx-motherboard,review-34737.html) then you'd probably want to get another motherboard as well.

7. driften12

driften12 Guest

This is very interesting. Thanks for a very useful tip. Priority to me is fixing this stutter issue, as 9600k has problem with frametime spikes, I thought replacing it with 9900k (ofc if RMA will work) will do the trick. Now it makes me want to try meddling with BIOS settings more, as propably leaving few things set on AUTO was a bad idea, even if everything was stable with OCCT, prime95 etc, and the temps and voltages were acceptable. I really thought that mobo can run safely any new Intel processor - it has 12-phase power section...or well, maybe it's because 9900k's power consumption. Anyway, if I ever decide to RMA the CPU, I will rather go for 9700k now.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Interesting,

I saw later someone mentioned that you can also disable it per-application, and keep it on globally.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Perform a clean boot and run ISLC in the backround. If you still get stutters, it's HW issue.

10. driften12

driften12 Guest

If we consider clean boot as running the game just after I installed Windows, without ANY other software installed besides Steam, then yes, I tried it, no results.

I decided to RMA the cpu and maybe change it to i7. Lets see if this helps.

It looks like PC is „choking” for 1/10 seconds and then it runs smooth for a while. Idk why

Or maybe its a memory issue? Tested it in memtest, got like 300 errors once, but I tested it carefully again, sticks one by one, and again in dual channel and everything was fine. No idea then. Thanks for help anyway

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Give it a try, a service installed by a driver may cause the stutter.

12. driften12

driften12 Guest

Sure, I will. As You noticed before, I'm getting too much DPC latency on nvidia drivers - not sure what causes it...

13. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    1.Nvidia drivers
    2.Win10

14. driften12

driften12 Guest

Ok. Need tips what to do next... (excluding safe boot) as I decided not to RMA the CPU - it's pointless, it passess all the test and its stable, I would waste just another few days for RMA procedure. I'll propably sell it and get 9700k - still I doubt it won't fix it.

15. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    AMD 6800
    Nice pickup, so I would understand it that you could just disable CFG for CSGO only and it would not run in between the game and the OS but the feature would still be on for any other program that would run. That makes it way more practical.

-Tj- likes this.

16. driften12

driften12 Guest

Okay, tried clean boot - didn't help, stutters are still there.

Giving up for now. Big thanks for help!!

17. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    AMD 6800
    So I messed around in a few games of CS tonight and I think the stutter is caused by the clock speed fluctuating even though everything is on High performance or prefer performance. I setup a second profile in MSI AB for a locked clock at 1980 boost and the games stutters were much less.

Here's how to lock the clock. Might be worth a try.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes, I disabled it as a whole for now. I also have nod32 like the guy who found this "trick" and I think I'm safe enough to keep it off globally.

I don't really have any major stutter issues, but I noticed right away Destiny 2 ran smoother. Idk is it also optimized bios thingy, I refreshed that with newer lan, irst, gop and cpu firmware drivers, but overall yeah I noticed even smoother system operation.

19. driften12

driften12 Guest

I switched to 9700k - same problems.

Tuning internet connection helped a bit in CS:GO - now the stutters are less noticeable, but still occur sometimes.

Bought PUBG yesterday...and I'm basically speechless

https://imgur.com/a/oJGI22C

(1080p, ultra - default settings)

I'm on the edge of despair. Shall I try to RMA the GPU? Honestly, got no other ideas what to do now. I'm heavily disappointed with the new PC and I can't RMA it as a whole, cause I bought parts.

20. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    The only thing that you can is try another gpu or rma the card. Run superposition on extreme and see if the same hapends. Also world of tanks encore lasts for like 2 mins.

-Run DDU
    -DOnt use afterburner, use Hwinfo 64, close all aps that will show fps exept for Hwinfo 64
    - use 2 cables from the psu
    - you can try and change the bios on the card(can avoid rma)

if you have done all this and still no luck rma the card