Ryzen & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by testcy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres a gpedit policy you can set to prevent restarts when a user is logged on.

2. minerja

minerja Guest

GPU:
    1060 3GB
    I guess, its cos people like to have choice...

Besides, i use XP on my Ryzen 2400G with a 750ti. Works great. Significatly lower power usage than my old XP rig. Much smoother gameplay (on XP generation games).
    Why? Because I can, and becuae I have to due to sh**y STARFORCE and other idiotic DRM systems, that are built into most of the 150 games i have from that era. Virtually all cannot be patched to remove the DRM (0fficially at least) and the DRM doesnt wotk under any virtualisation...so XP it is...why shouldn't i upgrade to a new MB/CPU and benefit?

Besides, to an average user, what benefits does Win10 actually bring, over say Win 7 (and i dont mean security or under the hood techie benefits,that the average user doesnt give a cr&& about)
    Don't get me wrong i love XP, Win 7SP1, and Win10 64 Bit (the very first release) pretty much equally, but, with each update on each OS, lets be honest, each one has got progressively worse...
    Go compare Win 10 first release to latest....it was so much slicker...as for Win 7, SP1 is fastest of all, but SP3 plus the very last updates for smoe reason is fantastically slow....even on an SSD....

So, back to my fist comment...it's all about choice.

After all, no-one is demanding that you take your 10 year old car off the road, or replace that 10 year old fridge/freezer....just cos....so why should we accept the same with software...
    J

3. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    I'd forgotten about this.

About to update my 3770 and go back to AMD. Glad I came to do my research but damn this is gonna hurt, losing 7.

I'm an old-timer and set in my ways now. I hate changes like this.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Yeah I saw that and great info. Thanks.

But at some stage I've got to bite the bullet.

I'm just glad I found this thread as I'd totally forgotten about it.
    I used to be a mad overclocker 20 years ago but it's a rare day I visit tech forums these days. I used to do this stuff with my eyes closed. Now I don't know what a NVMe drive is. Hahaha.

airbud7 likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I was the same way my friend..."I hate changes Grrrrr"....But when I did upgrade about a month ago it was really easy and free to! ....

you will like win 10 just as much.

geronimo666 and platypus like this.
  6. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    I've got a really old win 10 image on a DVD (build 7100 I think) that I made to update a laptop a few years ago. I wonder if that will work still, or is it better to use your link?

I will always regret that update as it killed my hd7970m.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    MSI's x470 boards do support W7. But you will need a PS/2 KB*M in order to install drivers. Even if you use migration software that is supposed to add in the USB drivers it doesn't work.

I was lucky that I still had a PS/2 KB laying around I could use to install the drivers manually with that. Other than getting the USB working (And the M.2 drive) I haven't had any issues with Ryzen and an existing W7 install (Didn't even have to uninstall my old x58 drivers for it to work. I tried it with and without and it made no difference.) The only problem I ran into was with GPT partitioning. But that's it.

Performance is better in Windows 10 though in games and benchmarks.
    Currently running a W10/W7 dual boot

Though I am reasonably pleased with using OpenShell to try and get W10 to look like W7 as much as possible.
    There are a lot of problems with W10 that I don't have with W7 though. So I feel the need for both.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    platypus likes this.
  8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Nothing slows down the pc, and you can fix everything with 1 app.

9. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Ha.

Just decided to try the upgrade.
    Went from win 7 ultimate to win 10 pro. All activated and no money changed hands.

Stoked, many thanks!

10. RaV[666]

RaV[666] Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD6950 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Hi to all.
    So, i have 5960x and would like to get to the amd base again, i dont really NEED the 3900X ,but i want it :).Question is, is ryzen 3000 still working on the windows 7 ? I dont care about power plans etc. I can have a manual oc.But, does the 3000 series work ? Does the x570 chipset work ? If not, does the x470 with ryzen 3000 work ? Win7 or 8 i can live with, but not the 10.
    So, did anyone try ?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I would sooner recommend windows 8 and then use start8, glass8 and the windows 7 theme that can be had from deviantart, you get the same function and looks of 7 and improved usb/driver capabilities from 8 (for example, UASP is not fully possible on 7, as the scsiport driver does not support SSD Trim, even if you use the asus uasp driver)

12. testcy

testcy Guest

GPU:
    -----
    Has anyone managed to successfully install Windows 7 (or 8.1) on RYZEN 3 3200G / B450?

13. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Wrong!!! Intel DOES support windows 7 on H310C(R2.0) chipset and Biostar has a working 8th igpu driver. Windows 7 runs great and is Rock Solid Stable on i3 8300 and Pentium G5400. All i had todo is put intels usb3 drivers into the boot and install wims. :p

https://www.ntlite.com/community/in...9th-and-10th-generation.577/page-2#post-10179

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/H310M-S2V-20-rev-10#kf
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13201/intel-preps-h310-revision-with-win7-coffee-lake-support
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/65855/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver
    https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/event/H310_windowstool/

Enjoy swallowing those words, you may need some ketchup :p
    "smug mode" is now engaged :D

Users may also want to visit mdl and win-raid as there are quite a few threads active.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ok, 1 chipset is supported only by Intel on Windows 7..... So, why exactly did you respond to my post?

Maybe you should have researched a little better. Per Microsoft, as of July 25, 2019... Intel 7th generation and later processors are not supported on Windows 8.1 and earlier.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ported-together-with-the-windows-version-that

So, as I said, Intel 7th Gen and later processors, lack official support on Windows 7. Microsoft has final say in what is "officially" supported by their operating system, not Intel. In fact, Windows will even notify you that your processor is not officially supported if you choose to use Windows Update, also per Microsoft.

Also, chipsets and processors are separate components. As my post was in regards to processors and not chipsets, you should really learn the difference between them. That becomes quite important if you're going to tell someone they're wrong. There is no mention in my post of chipsets whatsoever. In fact, the term "processor" appears 3 times, while the term "chipset" does not appear at all.

So, exactly where was I wrong about Windows 7 processor support? I provided a link, directly to Microsoft's own support article that says I'm still correct.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Claims Intel supports windows 7, then states needing to modify the USB 3 drivers to make it work.

Good....job?

16. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Blame intel for that not me. Like AMD give you usb3 drivers for Ryzen.
    Where exactly did i say i had to mod the drivers?
    NO i didnt need to mod the drivers you simpleton, you dont have to, just add them from the zip.

We had to put ahci drivers into an xpcd for years, boohoo, having to add 2 drivers, such hard work and nigh on impossible to do, took me weeks of hard work.

To quote myself(except links)
    "Wrong!!! Intel DOES support windows 7 on H310C(R2.0) chipset and Biostar has a working 8th igpu driver. Windows 7 runs great and is Rock Solid Stable on i3 8300 and Pentium G5400. All i had todo is put intels usb3 drivers into the boot and install wims. :p

Enjoy swallowing those words, you may need some ketchup :p
    "smug mode" is now engaged :D

Users may also want to visit mdl and win-raid as there are quite a few threads active."

Where does it say modded drivers, where? WHERE EXACTLY?
    Doesnt mention driver modding/modded drivers AT ALL. :mad:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  17. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    Sorry, but you are mistaken. I am currently posting from a MSI X570 Gaming Plus Ryzen 3900X machine on Windows 7 x64 and it is perfectly stable.

18. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I wont be buying Ryzen but i will be trying windows 7 on intel 10th gen when it appears, hopefully the H410 chipset. 7 is better in my opinion.

19. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570
    Well it appears uploads are not available on this site. So see this link as to installation and drivers.

20. ryegrass

ryegrass Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570