Ryzen 3000 processors could very well support 5000 MHz DDR4 memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 12, 2019.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Exactly the most benefit will come to the APUs since Ryzen cpus are already hitting DDR4-3600Mhz + , good vibes :)

2. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Evildead666
    at least for sony i dont see them needing to do that.
    the Xbox is the faster unit, yet gets outselled multiple times by PS.
    counting only the gens prior to PS4/XBone, its roughly 3:1.

without games, faster is useless...

3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I don't think it's that simple. The Xbox One X is faster than the PS4 Pro. But the original XBox One was not any faster than the PS4. In fact from what i can recall it was actually slightly inferior often having a 960p resolution while the PS4 had 1080p. The original XBox One also had a crushed black problem. There was also the higher price because of the gimmick called Kinect and system resources were reserved for Kinect even when not used. On top of that the bad press because MS wanted to prevent people from reselling their used games before backtracking right before launching the console.

The XBox One was pretty much DOA before being launched and MS has been in damage control mode since then. Not sure had the XBox One X been the original Xbox One and the PS4 Pro the original PS4 the sales figure would have been the same worldwide.

Aura89 likes this.
  4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You're thinking about performance in general. Ryzen is far more frequency bound because the interconnect ("Infinity Fabric") runs at the RAM speed. A higher RAM speed on a Ryzen system isn't just higher speed RAM, it's a higher speed for the data between CCX units. I have 3600MHz RAM which I'm currently running at 3466MHz, rather than lower with even tighter timings, because benchmarks show that even past 3200MHz there is increased CPU performance.

It's hard to run at 3600MHz on Zen+ when the CPU overclocked. And even at 3466MHz I'm pumping 1.43 volts through my RAM to keep the system stable.

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Sure getting low speed loose timing kits is relatively cheap but getting anything with 3200/cas 14 is still insane now were talking 5000mhz so the $$$ required will be even more. The 2400g I got atm cost me about 200$ and the gskill ram in the system cost around 240$ which is still insane if u ask me.

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @MonstroMart
    the fact that i still see a 1:3 (4) ration in sales, makes me not believe that. and its not that sony wasnt always perfect in decisions regarding ps4 stuff in general.
    we had 4 pallets with consoles (2 each), the PS4 were gone within a month, xbox (lower priced) took about 4 more month to sell,
    the 499 still has half the pallet left (while i still sell 4 PS4 before one Xbox)..

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm confused by your statement, xbox was lower priced? When?

Xbox one/s/x have always been either more expensive, or the same price, depending on when they changed prices. The only time it was understandable, was with the xbox one x, though it was late and more expensive, so it still didn't sell well (Comparatively)

Now if you're talking about some sort of sale that was making the xbox one cheaper: Fine, but this would have been after the PS4 and Xbox had been released for awhile and the momentum for the PS4 was already underway, so obviously, people were more interested in buying it. And if it was the original PS4 compared to the Xbox one/S, again, the PS4 had the momentum, and is a more powerful system.

So your statement doesn't give much information what versions of the consoles they were, and how the xbox was "lower priced" when they have never been, aside from a sale, lower priced then the PS4 variants.

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    there are different units at different price, similar to ps4 (pro, non pro),
    im not talking about more sale because of momentum or when they were initially released., just about the fact that anytime i look at what goes out the door, ps4 is selling multiple times before an xbox gets sold.

9. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    After hearing that Samsung is discontinuing B-dies i ran out and bought 16GB of T-force 3200MHz 14-14-14 memory, i have been on the fence for the last 2 years because of Ram prices at the time which was why i had bought the Corsair Vengance LPX that and i needed a low profile memory as at the time i was using a TR sliver arrow cooler so needed low profile memory.

With the vengeance i could get to 3200MHz but it wasn't stable and the sub timings as totally crap, Max stable i got was 3133MHz with 16-17-17 and other timings was pretty loose since i don't normally bother with heavily tweaking memory but the sub timings even after tweaking before system would fail to post took an age and was still far from what the Corsair specs.

So i thought maybe it was my memory controller but knowing that B-dies overclock like crazy and works best with Ryzen CPU's and have better latency timings than the Corsair hynix crap... To my surprise it wasn't the memory controller on my CPU.

I got my memory from overclockers UK, £139 ($176) which is a steal tbh and has breathed in more life into my CPU... which i will be replacing with the 12 core Ryzen 3700x.. kinda wished i picked it up sooner now. Then again this kit was £240 not too long ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1.4v is more than enough, or should be... what SOC voltage are you using? i needed 1.2v to get mine to 3600MHz, 1.2v is also the max before you start to degrade the memory controller on the CPU. I am not 100% if 1.2v is for the first Gen Ryzen or the 2nd Gen but i am not pushing anything more through it. You also have to be careful with the Ryzen APU's as apparently due to the GPU alot more SOC voltage is going through it than what the BIOS tells you. Gamers Nexus found at 1.2v SOC voltage some boards was pumping through the APU 1.4v.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    If we assume that Ryzen 3000 IPC gains are ~10% - it means that Ryzen 16C part should only boost @3.8Ghz all core to match $2000 Core i9 9980XE!
    And if we are comparing AVX2 workload then 9980XE drops clock by 15% and Ryzen will be even faster, so only question left is how will it compare vs AVX512?
    https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9980xe