Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I see, thanks.

As for "why wildlife", well it's probably not the best way to put it. More like mutants. I'm not expecting normal Bears or Deer roaming around. Was mostly asking if there's any "life" (in general) in the wild, be it mutants, monsters, 'weird stuff', etc (but worded it poorly). Take the Fallout series for example (at least starting with Fallout 3), Global Nuclear war, most "normal" wildlife is gone, it's now just mutated (Radroach, Ghouls, feral mutated dogs, etc). There's mutants and large uniquely-evolved variations of animals, "monsters"' etc. So what I had in mind was... say, you explore the "wilderness" (or rather, the wasteland) and come across some caves and inside there's no particular mission to do, but there's just some packs of weird mutants roaming around, or you go in what's left of a rotten forest (maybe, just an example) and you come across a pack of mutated Boars or something (with a different name, of course).

You get the gist of it.

The thing is, doesn't have to make sense. Because it's an open world game. And, mechanically-speaking, if open world games are mostly empty from 'randomness' of things happening around and within it, then it quickly becomes boring to travel in that said world to reach Point B for your next mission with the same generic bandits to clear outpost #567, rinse and repeat. Well, if I have to clear out enemy outposts and get in my 23rd "Vault" to grab my brand new weapon, then I absolutely need to have random things to interact with in the wild if I feel like it. If I see some abandoned ruins in the distance and it's not on the map or part of a mission, then I'd like to go there to 'explore the wilds' and see some cool crap like an old ruin of the world like it once was prior to the disaster, and it's now taken by mutants; but I'd get to see that because I explored the game's open world and didn't do it as part of a mission. It was simply there as an isolated 'x' thing to discover and have a "Oh crap this is cool" moment in the veins of Breath of the Wild, for example.

If that stuff is mostly missing from the game I'll pass for now and wait until it becomes dirt cheap in about a year with more patches and DLCs in.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Looks and runs well on my PC. I'm still using an older driver though, 419.67. 430.64 causes more problems on my PC than it solves. I have the steam version and it didn't ask for any bethesda login, I can play without it just like doom. Quite pleased so far.

AsiJu likes this.
  3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    that s why farcry 3 was such a great open world game, because you don t feel that repetitiveness when u wander around and even hitting outposts would still feel satisfying even after outpost number 101

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    well no wonder it will run well on 1080p, as ur 1070ti is made for 1440p gaming, 1080p is a walk in the park for that card..

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yep, noticed but since I'm playing at 3440x1440@100Hz the performance is very important.

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    played the first few hours on nightmare mode before heading to bed last night and im getting hit left and right by flashbacks to older games i love everythin from quake 2 to killzone mad max bulletstorm crysis fear and even the original rage once you get into them tight spaces it all feels very familiar and the mutants behave exactly as they did in the original pouncing off walls at you, its pretty darn great. the weapons my god they have some kick behind them and feel so darn good to use as bits fly off enemies and that red skull shows up on the very final shot as they die is a nice touch. there is a bit of a metro style feelin in closer areas you visit which is helped by rly good use of use of sound i wasnt expecting it to feel so tense it can be bit creepy sopmetimes. over all the fun factor is dialed up to 150 no wait 200 no fk that 350!!!

if i have to mention one major gripe i have there no native dualshock 4 support gotta run it through steam to make that work and get rumble workin

the game runs exceptionally for me on medium 1080p but well i can kinda see many overlooking rage 2 based on the graphics it can often look more just cause 2 the very first time you head out with the colour contrasts on offer then once head into the open world you will get an instant mad max vibe as you survey the huger horizon while sat in a vehicle on a downward slope as the world begs to be explored. i doubt im getting a solid 60fps *(mebbe 50)* even with the resolution scaling but it plays nice every place i have been and the combat is a joy thanks to the respnsive controls and meaty feel to them all.its obvious that visual eye candy was not the primary goal here its all about the physical punchy fluidity instead and on that level it has easily matched Doom 2016 even if it takes a bit of getting used to in such wide open areas

its gonna feel weird sayin this but damn you did good bethesda im in im all in this could actually be the Doom 2016 beater

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    AsiJu likes this.
  7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Need help guys. I loaded the game but it won't start up. I click to start the game, and nothing happens. Same issue on my wifes Alienware. We are both running Win 7 64bit. Cannot get this game to open. I opened steam, verified integrity of files etc. and still could not get this game to start on either computer. Any suggestions? Thanks all.

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    OK. Thanks..I'll try the new drivers. I would have thought the game would at least start, regardless of the date of driver.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Holy crap, you're playing this with a controller? :p

11. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    i am i know it sounds kinda off for a pc gamer but i have always prefer the kick back a controller gives you in shooters for a long time now i blame halo, yer theres not as much precision but its what i prefer as an older gamer with aging hands i will be 50 soon so dont hate on the resident oap lol

AsiJu, signex and lucidus like this.
  12. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    That worked! Still can't figure why older drivers won't at least start the game, but that was the solution. Thanks again Stone.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just seen on Steam, the game needs a Beth. account as well.

Im out.

14. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    Yeah, there is absolutely no other launcher involved

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nope, as if i had, i wouldn't be buying it on Steam would i :p

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    gotta mention some of the streamers who are crappin all over the game cos they are playing it all wrong the game 100% built to be an all in go in here are your tools type experience yet these guys are hanging back and trying to play it like its CoD or somethin making it more difficult than it need to be. CohhCarnage has the right head on and he is enjoying the hell out of it and chat is too.

17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    430.64 is the first driver to patch some ddos potential back doors. What problems is it giving?

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It slowed down opengl performance (og doom source port), yakuza kiwami 2 had stuttering, and mpc-hc + madvr video playback had a delay before playback. YMMV.

Serotonin likes this.
  19. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I read someone asking about wildlife, well i found one, a bull. :D

20. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Another question. What video settings in the game menu relate to the utilizing of the RTX effects? I'm trying to see what, if any, difference I might see with my two 1080 Ti cards.