Star Citizen sells 'Concept Motorcycles' at $36 and $48

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2019.

1. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    one of the biggest ponzi scheme in the history of video games

Lucifer, chispy and Picolete like this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Microtransaction doesn't need bank and user ID, 3 week ago there was people arrested for cleaning dirty money since one year with Fornite's user doesn't knowing that they were helping them.
    This is the evil point your were talking.

3. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    LOL... just... LOL...

edit: Just noticed i made 10 year as a guru member two weeks ago, next round is on me!

4. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    10 years ago...?
    Because it's literally the distance at which that's supposed to happen. It's how we defined it.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guess that 7 million dollar something house needs some more upgrades?

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    pwned

7. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    If it took them so much to get to beta, i just hope it will not get them the same amount of time to get to 1.0.
    Good idee but for the devs. that make the money.
    For the rest is just like throwing away the money in the fire in a cold winter in the wild, you get something: the heat, but not the room at the hotel.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    These are fair and reasoned points - but I will always lean towards objective reviews by accredited journalists (college degrees and ten years in journalism, minimum) and (in principal) people I trust. Hilbert falls into this category, as I shall typically respect the opinion of someone who deeply understands the issue of credibility and respect amongst their flock. Hilbert has made mistakes in the past, but has always corrected them. A sign of character.

Now, the above sentences only apply if I am to hand over my money - if it's just background chit-chat and anecdotal internet/social media noise (metacritic), any olde nonsense will be interesting - but I draw the line when it comes to money leaving my wallet.

On point:

Graphics and story be damned - because 'This War of Mine' is an amazing achievement of story-telling and gameplay, yet looks like an early Amiga game. In addition to this, I have not heard of these writers before and the people 'directing' have not actually directed anything virtually before that has been critically acceptable...so it means nothing to me.

re: AAA disappointment...well, again, I just do not give in to marketing and the whole banging of the drums you get with multi-$ marketing. I just don't. I might become very interested in said thing, but again, if something involves me removing notes out of my wallet, wild horses could not drag me to hand over cash without critical and objective multi-variant analysis.

I look after my money. I don't just hand it over to someone without good cause, and, SC simply does not have good cause. I have looked and I have not found it...yet...hence I want to read final reviews and see what the lay of the land is, as far as I can humbly tell, it lacks the ability to conduct myself in the game the way I would like to, which is essentially this:

I want to role-play as a space pirate and:-
    1. permanently deprive other players of their possessions.
    2. permanently deprive other players of their ships.
    3. make players 'walk the plank' (airlock-death), killing off their characters, permanently.
    4. make players band together to try and take me out, aggressively.
    5. hold entire solar systems to ransom.
    6. manipulate players to their own demise.

I really am serious about this. I want to enter a solar system and be genuinely afraid for my gaming experience, because my character is in turn feared by other players, and so could be hunted down. I want to walk around a space station with the ears of my fallen victims hanging around my neck. I want there to be songs sung about my devious acts around fireplaces to scare noobs into eating all their vegetables.*

That is MMORPG worth experiencing, because without real loss - the ships in game have no real value to me, and so, I have no intention of handing over money for something that has no value.

So yeah - the above is possible, but again, even it is is: I will wait for journalists to critique the final product (and Hilbert!) before money leaves wallet.

That, is about as balanced as I can be, fellow Gurus.

*Ninja edit: I want to see people on Twitch brought to tears because of me stealing their in-game possessions. That is an emotional experience worth its weight in platinum. No movie can do that to the same degree, yet, we seek out emotional experiences such as that on a weekly basis.

Imagine having that available to you with the click of a mouse...that's is something worth paying money for.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    XenthorX and SamuelL421 like this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You have to laugh, they cant afford cheese to go with their Chardonnay.
    Whoever buys these need a head check.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why? There are users that log hundreds to thousands of hours in this game. They could have potentially payed only $40. I paid only $40 and I have over 100 hours played. Don't care much for the direction it's going but I got my money worth out of it. I've paid $60 for games I've played far less.

Or maybe they are just wealthy and want to invest in the game? Like @XenthorX posts here a lot - judging by his specs he clearly has money and he invests into the game. What's wrong with that? Hes probably played thousands of hours. What's another $40-50? What's the big deal?

XenthorX, HandR, Ricardo and 2 others like this.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    In my opinion another cash grab :confused: , people need to wake up step back and use their brains to see the whole picture on this ponzi scheme game , wake up people this kind of never ending false promises always asking for more money without a release date cannot be good for the gaming community. Ever since i saw this so called company selling a ship for $27,000 US Dollars ( real money for vaporware of only zeros and ones 010011010 ) i knew something was wrong , this is not normal behavior and unacceptable. Still in Alpha state , release date for the game ???

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If you unblock me - you would know.

There is no value in the items being offered, because you cannot lose them or, sell them to other players for RL cash.

Giving CR money is not investment. It's just giving CR money. That's all.

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    If people enjoy funding this game, it's difficult to see why I should object to what they do with their own money. Talk about "scams"--take a look at some of the utterly ridiculous stuff being Kickstarted these days--or, rather, what they are attempting to kickstart. Some of the "Projects we love" I see in their emails are so stupid, such obvious cons, it's unbelievable, imo! One thing must be considered and that is that if Roberts walks away from this game unfinished--or in a really buggy, unplayable state--then he can kiss his $4.4M digs goodbye, and wherever he's stashed assets purchased with money from SC--they're gone, as well. He will be sued forever--and he will never work in the industry again. Stick a fork in him, etc. All in all I think Roberts has some very powerful incentive to finish this game! Whether or not the game will meet expectations for it--after eight years of development and a movie production budget to match--is another question. If I was Roberts I'd be giving some attention to announcing release dates that go beyond just his "timeline", because those can be changed at will and everyone knows it.

I still, after all this time, have absolutely no clue what this game is. I'm scared that the reason I don't know what the game is, is because Roberts himself doesn't yet know....! Really--Roberts needs to get off it and *formally announce* a release date! Extra ships and all that rot they can add after the game hits 1.0 and ships! He'd better start managing expectations right now, and doing a bit better than the often inscrutable "timeline"--which seems to me deliberately obtuse.

chispy likes this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I selectively read some of your posts lol - I guess technically it's a donation rather then an investment but the return is essentially the game.. if it gets completed.

Look I'm not going to recommend or even support people that spend thousands on the game (those that are should know what they are getting into), but for people that have logged over 250+hours.. I can see them buying little things for $40-60 and I don't really see the issue with it. I compare it to Avengers Endgame, which I saw the the other day and it was ~$16 - for 3 hours of entertainment, that's like $5 an hour. In Star Citizen I'm under 50 cents an hour. If I dropped another $40 on the game I don't feel like I'd be wasting it anymore than I did to see the movie.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I disagree with arguing by analogy. Full stop. It is fallacious.

You actually made your subjective point without using a fallacy - you see it as time investment. OK. I get it, but...if the virtual item cannot be 'lost', then it has no value.

16. torsoreaper

torsoreaper Guest

Dude you can't quote Q2 2020 given their history. They have pushed things back so many times it's ridiculous. Just google "star citizen delayed".

17. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Full disclaimer, I do not personally own the game, though I know a few who kickstarted early and still play. None of them were ever hardcore supporters (spending huge amounts on ships) but even a year ago they would have rushed into an argument to defend their purchases, the timeline for completion, or Roberts / devs. Again, just my observations from the outside looking in, but there seems to be growing skepticism from that group as to whether this game will ever get a full release or not.

Agreed, this would be a game worth paying for.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Ricardo likes this.
  18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Mooooooooooooooooooo. < The cash cow has spoken.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The writing has been on the wall for so long, anyone would be stupid to put more into this.

20. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Actually, the games have currently let them gather ~$300M, as some funding -including 2018's $46M investor- is/was off their pledge counter (other income, subscriptions->). According to CIG's own financial report, dev spending already overtook 'official' pledges in 2014, and they had already spent more than had been pledged by 2017 ($193M spent vs $175M on the pledge counter and ~$206M total income by Dec 2017).

Project cost so far is about $250-260M ($193M+$60M over Jan '18 - May '19 estimate, based on $45-50M annual spending since 2015 vs ~$40-45M 'income' not just pledges). At least to me, it seems that without last year's $46M investment (for a 10% stake in CIG) the project would have been dead in the water this month or maybe next month tops, so in effect some single guy (yeah and his son...) bought CIG an extra year, it seems. With currently $30-50M (vague enough?) left to burn, the 2020 S42 open beta date on their roadmap is likely within their reach.