Nvidia, slowed performance, GTX 970...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TimmyP, Apr 24, 2019.

1. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    yes! being passive aggressive is for whamen
    thats fair, i should have phrased it more clearly. its not every maxwell. but my post was emphatic because it certainly exists & ive heard soooo much empty hand-waving that stems from simple disbelief rather than data. not being able to reproduce it isnt surprising or conclusive - thats the expected, designed behavior. bugs never manifest on every single potentially affected configuration unless its some sort of massive spaghetti-code-type error.

thanks for the benches btw. obviously within margin of error there. are you on win10? i wish i could simply contribute the data i recorded in december, but i never anticipated needing it later & didnt save results. was painstakingly methodical - clean driver install (DDU) every time, benches after fresh reboot, closed all running processes. over 10fps difference in quake & rainbow six, significant synthetic bench drops, etc. was on win7, 970 & 990 chipset. yes, i even swapped a mobo out of morbid curiosity lol

2. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I'm curious, the 430 driver shows a more stable GPU frametime but either the FPS graph or the test results is wrong, the graph shows way below 45 FPS all the time on 430 driver.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never even noticed that, will retest it a few times with and without other monitoring tools.

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The GTX 970 is a curious case though. Long term, I always feared that its weird VRAM setup would hurt it when more games started using 4GB VRAM, and Nvidia no longer giving it first citizen priority driver work.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    980ti is the only card from the series that still perform decent. Having more vram and higher memory bandwith really helped. Seeing how 980 is outperformed by a mare 1060 this days tells me drivers optimizations are no more.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Let's be honest, driver optimisation isn't really an Nvidia thing as they more often than not get it right first time.

Hoping to run more tests soon, but I've avoided new games as I expected the worst but newer games seem to be better than i was expecting.

7. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    @Undying The 1060 beating the 980 was not because nvidia was neglecting the 900 series or not optimizing them, 1000 series was just too overpowered. And the main reason of 1060 marketing was that, 980 performance for the average user. The 980 was roasted by the 1060 even by the own nvidia https://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060.

And this is why myths like the mandela effect exists, people just forget things very quickly.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Can you share your results with us? We'd all be interested.

The 970 was never was as fast as the 1060 6GB to begin with. I mean, just check a benchmark from when the 1060 released and you'd see that the 970 was always slower.

jbscotchman likes this.
  9. cicala

cicala Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080-Ti

>id look into this

no-one needs to look into anything

The 970 runs as it should and anyone claiming otherwise is clearly affected by placebo or just low IQ

Smough likes this.