Low GPU usage , low fps in some games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SittingInMyRoom, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Just cleaned it jesterday , wasnt almost any dust inside

2. Playing now, looking at the gpu and cpu temps, they are not good at all 85C+ fan does spin but at only 20-30%, i tried about 3-4 softwares (gpu tweak2 , speedfan, msi afterburner, asus fan xpert which i could not install) to control it, but they do not show any fans, no power tab in bios. the gpu usage is not stable at all , same for the cpu clock and usage. Any suggestion guys?

3. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Dude. Focus on the GPU clock speed. Stable? and as advertised?
    Temps seems high though. Even for a notebook, fans should kick in hard.

4. Clocks same always 672/900/1344 , means stable, fan is not really speeding up, only when i minimize the game... after cleaning it went down maybe by 2-3c max

5. So, i took s better look, the gpu clocks are stable and never go down, but the cpu stands idle, and than i get low gpu usage and about 10-13 fps, when the cpu clocks up to 2.4ghz atleast i get 30 fps because of half vsync
    Game is gta online, happens in other too, using high performance already

6. If you have a facebook or isntagram account i can record you a little bit of gameplay, to be precious the msi ab osd

7. So whats the problem?
    The GPU usage was low because the CPU was sitting idle, the CPU was sitting idle because of the two partitions on my HDD, how did i find out? Was reading many many forums til sb said that the HDD can cause the CPU to go idle, tried deleting some apps and defragmenting the HDD, helped much, when i merge the partitions i will edit this with the answer did it help even more.
    EDIT: No it did not help, cpu still dropping to idle

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2019
  8. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Which plan has been set in Settings - Power Options btw?
    Should be set to 'High performance' of 'Balanced'. Try 'High performance' anyway ;)

9. Yes its on high performance, when task manager is oppened its always at 2.4-6ghz but as soon as i maximize the game it drops to idle 0.8ghz, no power options in bios temps are fine now 75 and below

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Summarized: your CPU gets 85+ degrees Celsius at 0.8 GHz with fans spinning at 20-30%.
    This makes no sense.

EDIT: or is it now 75+ degrees? Still wrong though.

Last edited: May 8, 2019

11. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    You never mentioned what laptop this problem was occuring on.

Assuming it is still the ASUS K53SV you have noted in your profile, It sounds like the CPU fan's temperature sensor is not communicating properly with the BIOS and your CPU is throttling to keep it from reaching TJmax (or more extreme, hard-shutdown)

It could be damaged or the BIOS is corrupt in some fashion. Even though Sandy Bridge has basic support in Windows 10, ASUS doesn't provide any official Windows 10 drivers for the laptop.

You can try ASUS PC Diagnostics (hasn't been updated since 2017) to see if it can detect why your laptop isn't running at full performance, but if you say you have the high-performance plan enabled and are still seeing low CPU frequency, either a Hardware/BIOS issue or some software in Windows (or Windows systems files themselves) are a likely culprit.

Have you tried the balanced power plan to see if it ramps the CPU frequency up in-game?

Power plans in Windows can be customized to utilize the CPU at a certain percentage based on idle and load conditions.
    Maybe the profiles got altered at some point?

You can reset the power profiles in windows to their defaults by typing powercfg –restoredefaultschemes in a command prompt window.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    FatBoyNL likes this.
  12. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Honestly, I'd give it up. The GPU isn't supported and everything is running in Win10 legacy mode, more or less. Don't know if updating the Intel iGPU drivers could help (if any). But that iGPU also lost support I think.
    Btw, the 'dedicated 2GB' for GTX540M doesn't mean $hit. It is NOT capable to use it properly, it's just a marketing gimmick. Far faster desktop cards from that era only could use up to 1.5 GB maximum.

13. Dude when the CPU is working at 2.6 ghz i can get constant 30fpsat high settings
    Mda400, bios is 315 i didnt update it dont know who did, it was on better perofrmance down on taskbar and balanced in power settings, but still same thing

14. Yes its that lap, as soon as the cpu goes to 2.6ghz the temps go up about 5-10c depends... Staying on the same place where it boosts itself it stays at that clock unitl i move somewhere else, veryfied game files atleast 5 time but nothing

15. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    There is a newer bios version that supposedly updates CPU microcode. May not hurt to update to see if something in the current bios version is faulty.

Otherwise, the laptop's hardware barely supports the OS you are running. If a clean install of the operating system doesn't solve the issue, then it is surely a hardware compatibility issue.

16. Any suggestion to do that safer so i dont fck up my system?

17. So, just now i was reading one more forum, saying its trotthling cause of the temps, no in zula europe i get constant 2.6ghz on 90c+(when the lap was not dissasembled and without cooling pad) fan would spin up so its not broken, could it maybe be gta 5 and ets2 because i get lower cpu clock even there?

18. Throttlestop was the solution, disable turbo and thats it, as it looks like, guys you were right its thermal throttling, THANK YOU 2 ESPECIALLY FATBOY FOR YOUR TIME GUYS

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2019
  19. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Congrats dude! :D
    Good to see you seem to have solved it. Just keep an eye on the CPU temps to stay safe ;)

20. Each core never got abouve 85C running the cpu at 2.0ghz which is its stock speed without the turbo
    Thanks again