Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Well considering some game don't have uncapped framerate I find it very useful to know, so I'd rather they boast about it than say nothing at all :p

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Look at how many PC games in the past few years have NOT had uncapped frame rates...
    It's not really the "standard" anymore. It's working it's way back in, strongly, but... for a long time... it was not.

So, being upset because another developer is supporting it, and letting gamers know... seems a bit silly.

But, it also reminds me of how PC "gamers" used to get pissed because a FPS didn't have an FOV slider/option. Talking about how it was always a staple of the genre... when... it really wasn't.
    Yes, in most older FPS games you could modify the FOV through CFG edits and console commands, but, it was not a "standard" feature.

3. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

The list of games with a capped 30/60 fps is tiny in comparison to those that don't have fps caps. Aside from games ported to western audiences I can't think of a lot of games that are locked at 60. Fps games especially.

People complained about fov sliders because for some it meant the difference between being able to play the game or not, Its was largely a joke brought around by TotalBiscuit about FOV sliders.

Having fps thats dictated by hardware and using any resolution your pc can handle has always been the standard for pc gaming.
    That is the whole point, pushing past the locked limits of consoles.

I don't think it went away at all,

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    low fov for me makes me a midget. i like fov that is close to my "life" fov. now that is not one to one on a 2d screen but some things look off and other do not. I do not get sick though, i beat motion sickness when i was a kid and liked to read in the car on trips, that used to make me sick as hell.

I dunno about people with adult motion sickness but some claim that improper fov can bring about motion sickness.

If you do not know how motion sickness feels it is like you have to puke when you get to a point. I builds to to my memory.

I DO think that some people play that up to push for ridicilous things like 3rd person cameras and the like in fps games. but i do not think that everyone that says crap fov can aggravate their conditions, i got no real reason to doubt them all.

It also boils to to the idea that fov sliders have a been a thing in games going way the hell back, cough people running ridiculous fovs in quake 2 for example, its not like it is overwhelmingly difficult request to include one, and no it is not more cinematic to play in a fov that makes you feel like a 4 foot midget or constrains your view artificially.

Last edited: May 8, 2019

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Anyone know why is this message on the steam page? It wasn't there a few days ago.

"Planned Release Date: May 14, 2019"

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    APEX engine had bits for DirectX 12 in Just Cause 4 though nothing beyond that (Can't be enabled or anything.) so it's possible that Avalanche Sweden and development around the engine has seen integration of DirectX 12 though if the game will use it or not remains to be seen.
    DOOM Eternal from idSoftware and on idTech7 should however continue from the development in idTech6.5 and Wolfenstein 2 New Colossus and be VLK only. :)

idSoftware had some help involved with development of RAGE 2 too but I think it was mostly supervising and the first person shooting and mechanics around this from what I recall reading at least since Avalanche has mostly done third person before.

EDIT: FOV's a bit of a issue though unless patched in as a option, vertical FOV of 55 I think for the Just Cause games (So what that's 16:9 and conversion for Horizontal instead of Vertical and ~75 somewhere value then?) Just Cause 3 had a tool patching the value allowing for changing it up to 90 somewhere. (~120 converted?) which well it really helps depending on user preference and things like ultra wide. (80 - 90 would be better, hoping it's not down around 60 - 70 again.)

No it was 45 wasn't it so around 65 from vert to hor I think.

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Kolt, cerebus23 and Undying like this.
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Pardon my laziness to not google it, what engine is this game using? It's not ID tech, right?

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    no it was mentioned a few pages back? but not id tech.

Serotonin likes this.
  10. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It uses Avalanche's "Apex" engine and not idTech. This is a good thing honestly.

Serotonin likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why is that a good thing? Apex didnt perform well with just couse 4 and we wont have vulkan support. It also does noot look as good.

honestly im dissapointed its not id tech 6/7.

12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I don't think id tech is really that good in handling a fast and massive open-world. I may be wrong as far as current iterations and developments, but what we've seen and know of so far it just really isn't good for that. This is most likely why they are not going with that engine. I guess I should have stated that it's a good thing it's not idTech, not so much that it's a good thing that it's the Apex engine. That being said, Mad Max was Apex engine and just ran and looked great (for the time), so I'm basing my criteria off what I know personally. I haven't played Just Cause (any of them.. just too boring looking for me) so I can't speak for that too much.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Mad Max and Just Cause 2 is what I'd compare it against, Avalanche New York under Square Enix updating it to full physically based lighting and adding additional effects without proper optimization likely from just not having enough time or resources is what broke Just Cause 3 and even Just Cause 4 which went the other way and scaled it down losing several visual effects and greatly reducing others to where the game looks around one year to one *generation* behind from one scene to another.

Mad Max in particular was ridiculously well optimized hitting 3840x2160 via downsampling and still maintaining playable performance back then though we shall see how things are under Bethesda and I believe HDR was already confirmed as not supported on PC but I have to re-check that.

EDIT: No maybe that was some other game, need to re-check more it seems.

EDIT: But I guess Mad Max running as well as it did is also a strong pro because it was published by Warner Brothers and their "care" for PC only really "improved" after Arkham Knight started losing them not just reputation for their PC port quality (Or lack thereof.) but also money as of the refund feature ending up on Steam and seeing some good use.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just saw this in steam,

Preload Information
    If you want to get a head start on downloading the game, you’ll be able to preload RAGE 2 ahead of launch. Preload will begin May 10 at 1pm ET.

Launch Timing
    Here is when you’ll be able to play the game depending on your platform and location. The game will unlock at different times depending on your territory:
    • AU, NZ, Asia: RAGE 2 will unlock at 11:01am ET on May 13
    • Rest of World: RAGE 2 will unlock at 8:00pm ET on May 13
    • North America: RAGE 2 will unlock at 12:01am ET on May 14

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    i'm curious about this game, might buy it. No clue what this franchise is about.

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  17. lol.. in other words, fck players.

Stone Gargoyle and cerebus23 like this.
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    *Jim Sterling voice* Triple A!

I'm going to buy the standard edition and enjoy the campaign and be done. Not wasting money on a version with dlc just for the BFG. Dick move though, just like the MK guys keeping Shao Kahn gated behind a preorder.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I am guessing there will be a mod of some sort to make it available for standard edition.

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    You can't judge Apex by the performance of Just Cause 4.

Just Cause 3 and Mad Max ran on the same engine, but where developed by two completely different teams.
    Just Cause 4 was developed by the New York branch of Avalanche, the same guys who made JC3. They are the new studio, and can't seem to get their footing right.

While, Mad Max was developed by the original Avalanche studio in Stockholm. And, these are the guys developing RAGE 2.
    If it was the New York studio, I'd have my worries. But the Stockholm studio is rock solid.

And while I love idTech, the engine would require some major rewrites and changes to be able to handle a fully open world like what RAGE 2 is offering.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.