Planar Magnetic Headphones for gaming?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ESlik, Apr 5, 2019.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I see Hyper X is about to release it's new Planar Magnetic cans for gaming. I want to try the Planar Mag. headphones, but I don't want to wait for Hyper X. Anyone here with this type of headphone? All opinions are valued. Would I be wasting money? {again.lol.] Really appreciate any and all info on Planar Magnetic drivers etc. Thanks all...

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Any type of speaker has its own pluses and minuses. Also the usage of certain type of speaker doesn`t automatically mean a certain level of quality.

It is considered that planar speakers are more precise and quick. I met contradicting opinions about the lack the "oomph" on bass side.

Long ago I have tested Fostex T50RP. At first they sounded very dull on the treble side, but the longer I listened the more I got accustomed to their sound and it felt like you get less fatigue in longer sessions.
    Also Audeze, HiFiMan and OPPO make planar magnetic ones.

PS https://soundgearlab.com/learn/planar-magnetic-headphones/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    sverek likes this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I’ve heard some hifiman planars and they seemed to lack a punch in sound, especially bass area. Which is understandable, since dynamic headphones literally punches air into your ear drums.

I am interested to see how they gonna tune them. However, considering the fact that gaming headphones focuses on mid/mid-high ranges for better footsteps feedback, it could work out great.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That is only valid for competitive gamers. For casual/single-play gamers "oomph" is much more important.

5. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Thanks for the input fellow members. I'm kinda torn between the hi fi man series, and waiting for the Hyper x. The Hyber X just MIGHT be better tuned for gaming. I have a few gaming dacs, and that might allow me to set EQ etc. to get all I need for both music AND gaming. What do you think? Do Planar Magnetic headphones work well with external 5.1 and 7.1 DACs?

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No way to answer that question blindly. Most probably your external DACs will handle any headphones. But such thing as incompatibility exists in the world of audio equipment.

7. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    What exactly do you mean by external 5.1 or 7.1 DACs?
    Takstar just came out with their planer magnetic headphones, the Hi 2050 and Hi 3050, for around $180.
    Takstar makes the Kingston HyperX Cloud headphones, wonder if they also make the HyperX planer magnetic headphones?

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I haven't tried so-called 5.1/7.1 virtual (that's all it is) surround gaming on headphones for a long time now, pretty contented with my stereo only DAC stack/combo. And yes, I do game with planar mag headphones as well, like my modded T50RP + MrSpeakers Alpha Pads + Mayflower T50RP kit (can't recall exactly which mod I'd used as it was a while back and there're literally hundred of mods for the T50RP). T50RP, with its stock earpads, sounds a tad unrefined, with grainy highs and rather muddied mids. A simple earpad change resolved most of its issue with stock pads. Even with the HiFiMan HE4XX, I don't find bass to be lacking unless your preference is basshead level, or very forward bass that muddies mids. There's absolutely nothing wrong with gaming on planar mags, but I do suggest that OP tries out whichever can he's interested in just to ensure that he/she likes the sound signature.
    [​IMG]