Review: AMD Athlon 220GE and 240GE processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2019.

1. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It is by far (it replace a pentium in my HTPC).

In 2019 AMD always talk faster than factory :) It's Zen core + Vega, it is not so dated.
    Athlon 940 were dated, they were from AM3 gen adapted to AM4 board.

Not at all, it is so low tdp that you can cool it passively, and it is abble to do nearly everything you can do with HTPC...
    Also the 2200G cost the price of 3 200GE, or also is more expensive than my motherboard with the CPU and the passive cooler...

I would say it is THE CPU for HTPC, with passive GPU (for 4K because internal is a bit weak on this (btw the 2200G too) ), passive PSU and a single noctua to cool everything... It's perfect.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if you want a htpc, you want the grunt to decode content that hasn't been hardware accelerated yet.

These aren't htpc cpu's.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I meant more the fact that it's a 2c/4t CPU, which isn't really something you expect to find in 2019. Besides, some would argue Vega is dated, despite it being released relatively recently.

4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It is exactely what it does since a month... (in my HTPC definition i have "silence" and "low power" too, and in this point it is excelent).

As always it depend on what to do with core, having a 10 core Xeon in my under TV box would be useless, 2c/4t isn't for gaming or heavy work too, but this one do better than some equivalent in Intel, having that in mind it is a good CPU.
    BTW: i agree with Vega, i havent buy it for that, it's just an extra-bonus

5. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Great review. I didn't expect those great results.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    As much as i wish they weren't, i'm not surprised by it anymore.

I mean, there's still i7's that are dual-core, such as the Core i7-8500Y, which i'll grant you, they state it's a "5w" processor.......but, no where in 2018 should an i7 be a dual-core, that's just....wow

Sure, you could say that it's the "i7 of the 5w processors", but that's just confusing in my opinion no matter which way it is. The amount of people who i have seen choose an i7 dual-core over an i5 quad-core, even when being told the specific i7 they are looking at is much slower then the i5 they are looking at....is messed up lol

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

This cpu will not run AV1 well at all

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I agree but on other hand it's from Zen family, and Ryzen are not so good in AV1 either. but once you pair it with real GPU it's OK.

9. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    A up. I got board and so up dated the Bios to my MSI B450 pro Athlon 200GE from 7b84 version 24 to V 28 just in case I wanted to slap in a new 3600 CPU some time in the future..

Well Piddling about ( Values have to be entered manually a drop down is not available ) I am now at Ram T1 14,14,14,14 2666Mhz stable CPU at 3.5 Ghz and PCI-E 4.

Lol. Its only my media centre so all overclocking makes no difference to performance really. But hey I can and so I did.

OOPs wrong Athlon review thread. Doh! :)