OverdriveNTool - tool for AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tede, Aug 6, 2017.

1. optii

optii Guest

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64
    hi guys, i got an issue. I had vega 56 and rx580 in 2 pci slots, overdriventool detected them both easily. Now i removed rx580 and put in there vega64. However vega 64 is now not detected and says:
    "This GPU is not supported". i uninstalled drivers with DDU, installed multiple versions of drivers, even blockchain amd compute ones, still same issue. If i switch vega 56 and 64 slots, then vega 64 is detected and 56 is not detected. GPU-Z sees both cards, windows 10 sees both cards succesfully working in device manager... what can i do?

2. Dikoy

Dikoy Guest

Hello!
    I have the same problem "This GPU is not supported".
    Win7 x64, Asus Z-170A, RX570 x2.
    First I tried Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.3 + OverdriveNTool 0.2.8 and got this problem.
    Next DDU and Adrenalin 18.6.1 + OverdriveNTool 0.2.7 - nothing changed :(
    Win7 sees both cards succesfully, OverdriveNTool sees both cards too, no visible problems in the operating system...

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Run as admin or copy to new folder and start fresh :cool:

4. Dikoy

Dikoy Guest

I always ran it as admin. Copying to a new folder does not help.
    Perhaps there are any restrictions for win7?

5. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
    @Dikoy there should be no problem in windows 7, do you have modded bios or use custom SoftpowerPlaytable? Try also alternative tool doing the same job AMD Memory Tweak
    @Poisson Problem with fans stuck at low RPM with high temps happens when you use default values either by Reset or by typing ony defaults. Same happens with Wattman. It isn't happening on 0.2.8beta1 because I didn't know yet how to reset fan curve correctly to set it to AutoMode. 0.2.8 beta 11 and 0.2.8 use -1 values in all fields to Reset while beta1 just set default values to all fields. Seems that automode/default values is broken on last drivers. My advice is to change at least one value different than default, for example P0 %.
    Deleting PP_CNEscapeInput value removes all driver overclock settings including Fan curve.

Poisson likes this.
  6. Dikoy

Dikoy Guest

@tede Yes, of course, the BIOSs are modded (seen error 43) and the driver is signed by atikmdag-patcher-1.4.6 (no errors now). Could this be the cause?
    This is doubly strange because I have a rig based on Win10 x64, Adrenalin 18.6.1 + atikmdag-patcher-1.4.6 + OverdriveNTool 0.2.7 and it worked fine with these GPUs before... Then I moved these cards to the PC (Win7 x64) and everything collapsed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
  7. tede

tede Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 470
  8. Poisson

Poisson Member

GPU:
    RX 590 Nitro+
    Thanks I will try it.

9. NCarter84

NCarter84 Guest

GPU:
    RX590 8GB
    Hey All, I've been using ODnT to apply my settings via a bat file for sometime now on my mining rigs... I've upgraded a few of my cards to RX590s and now I'm struggling to get the bat file to run on them. Most of the time it locks my system up and I need to do a hard reset.

I keep getting "failed to set fan values for GPU 3 (or gpu 1, thats another 590) Error Code: -1 value above driver limits.

I'm using ODnT 0.2.8 beta 11.

Any thoughts on this? If I apply everything manually, it seems to be OK.

10. Fernando Pena

Fernando Pena Guest

GPU:
    RX 550
    Hey guys, I'm new to this tool. My only need is to undervolt my GPU.
    Thermals are not great on my machine and undervolting would be really helpful.
    I can't tweak using wattman as it seems not to be supported by my GPU on the latest drivers (almost sure it was supported in the past).

When I try to use ODnT and apply the values I want, I get the following error message:
    [...] ErrorCode: -8 [...] Funcion not supported by the driver [...] for all the sections (GPU, Memory, Fan and Power).

Is there anyway to get this tool working on my RX 550 on the latest drivers? Or am I stuck with stock voltage?
    BTW this is a thinkpad e480.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 8, 2019

11. Poisson

Poisson Member

GPU:
    RX 590 Nitro+
    19.5.1 Driver is solving the problem so you were right and it was a driver problem.

I have added other feature to ONT 0.2.8 beta 11. I have included into OverdriveNTool registry powerplay editor the per dpm ucCKSVOffsetandDisable values, these values are increasing the default auto voltage (not the manual ones) for per dpm. It should work for 590 gpus, or for previous polaris gpus changing ucEnableApplyAVFS_CKS_OFF_Voltage to 1 into asic profiling table, you can see more info about asic profiling table here.

590 gpus are using different hexadecimal vales for ucCKSVOffsetandDisable like D, 26, or 32. It seems that is using 6.25mv step voltages and rounding it, so for example 6.25mv is 7, 12.5mv is D, 37.5mv is 26 and 50mv is 32. But it seems that if you are not using the 6.25mv step it is rounding it to the nearest SVID2 voltage. The editor is using decimal values.

Edited: I have to add one thing. The existence of the diference between auto and manual modes was descovered by datspike here.
    And that ucCKSVOffsetandDisable were doing some thing here.
    I only have discover what ucCKSVOffsetandDisable are doing here, but at that moment I was thinking that manual and auto modes were the same.

Edited:
    I have changed the download links, I don't know why they stoped working for some reason.

Edited: CAUTION: there is a fans config bug for my 590 and maybe for the rest of polaris gpus, with this ONT version 0.2.8 beta 11 version and the tede 0.2.8 ONT version. It seems that if you apply one setting, fans are spinning up to lower speeds like 1200rpm. The only way I see to do the fans to go ok, is to disable the fan area with Ctrl and two clicks on it. Before that you can apply the setting without problem.

Release

Source

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  12. robchaw

robchaw Guest

The current and best setting I am using for the Rx570 4GB and the rx570 8GB are as followed.
    Rx570 4GB P7 GPU: 1130Mhz 850mV, Memory: 2000Mhz 800mV
    Rx570 8GB P7 GPU: 1150Mhz 950mV, Memory: 2150Mhz 950mV
    With these settings I am achieved 29Mh/s for the 4GB cards and almost 31 on the 8GB card.

13. geko95gek

geko95gek Active Member

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX MBA
    Hello, is it possible to use this tool to mod the HDMI driver so that it doesn't raise my idle clocks when I plug my external monitor into my HD8970M ?

I've already modded my vBIOS but it didin't help. Seems the HDMI clocks are set somewhere else?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  14. Turk4n

Turk4n Guest

Hello!

I recently gotten a Vega56 card and been tinkering around with it and don't seem to understand how the tool, card/architecture works and how clocks work depending on workload.
    What I have noted is that I feed it more voltage I can get close to the "desired" frequency on each PSTATE.
    I would really love to optimize for both efficiency and performance.

Thanks in advance!

P.S - The card I have is the following SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon™ RX Vega56

15. geronimo666

geronimo666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI rx6800 Gam. Z T
    I don't have my v56 for long but as I see it, it's very hard to get big OC on default air cooling. I tried and got very huge wattage and temp without any big benefit. at least on a few tests I tried so I might be wrong.

write "PSA: Lazy mans guide to tweaking your GPU (RX vega 56 specific) :)" into google and read that reddit article. very good read.

Turk4n likes this.

16. Turk4n

Turk4n Guest

Thank you so much for the reply.
    I did some googling and found a bit but have no idea how to grasp it. Also I got another question. While I play games, for instance Wolfenstein 2, the GPU is around 1300-1400MHz(70% usage) and CPU hovers around 20-25% but I get random fps drops, from 144fps to 124 or 132, happens frequently but at different time points.
    I checked the temps and the core never reaches 55c and the memory never reaches 60c.

17. Draka Joko

Draka Joko Guest

GPU:
    radeon 570
    Does it work with radeon 19.6.2 drivers?

18. Draka Joko

Draka Joko Guest

GPU:
    radeon 570
    Is fan target temp working? It is very important since I am mining with my cards.

19. Poisson

Poisson Member

GPU:
    RX 590 Nitro+
    It seems that with the 19.7.2 drivers the voltage offset has stopped working in OverdriveNTool, at least for my 590 with the NCP81022 controlles. It's working for AB and Trixx. Do you see the same?.

Edited:
    Maybe you could try to add SMC support for the voltage control, like Unwinder suggest here
    It's working like that for my 590.

Edited:

Maybe this is usefull, it seems that for the SMC voltage offset:

/wr294,[OFFSET] /wr258,195

294 is mmSMC_MSG_ARG_1 = 0xa5 *4

258 is mmSMC_MESSAGE_1 = 0x96 *4

VRM Tool is using this in smu_7_1_3.py file, also you can see these values here: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/include/asic_reg/smu/smu_7_1_3_d.h

I also see now that with:

/wr258,26B you can Disable Avfs voltages as 0x26B is PPSMC_MSG_DisableAvfs, so gpu uses manual voltages.

/wr258,26A you can Enable Avfs as 0x26A is PPSMC_MSG_EnableAvfs, so gpu uses auto voltages.

All of this seems independet of the gpu or voltage regulator, it seems this is working at least on fiji and polaris.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.
  20. Draka Joko

Draka Joko Guest

GPU:
    radeon 570
    Using 19.7.4. Setting voltage works with amd 570