AMD Ryzen 9 3800X, Ryzen 7 3700X, Ryzen 5 3600X Spotted in Online Stores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2019.

1. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Overclocking as a useful activity is left over from the bad old days.

You can OC an unlocked Ryzen, but (unlike Intel) AMD has already built in sophisticated Precision Boost circuits that will achieve nearly the same performance at much less average power. So less wear and tear on everything. If you OC you lose PB.

So - except for the fun of briefly trying it - OC on Ryzen is a fool's errand.

I wonder: Why do people keep mentioning it? Mental inertia? And why don't journos point this out? Helps to feed the hype and forum threads?

Herem and AuerX like this.
  2. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    I've been eyeing the 8 core 3600x if 4.8Ghz boost is true. Seems like a nice boost from my early 1700 that only does 3.6-3.7 with sane voltage. Hoping my msi x370 pro carbon supports it well.

3. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Seems fake to me. The fact that it matches adored rumor so much makes me just think this website is getting attention in advance for this product. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. I think we are more likely to see IPC increase and not so much of a clock increase. IPC increase is fine. Really if an 8 core Ryzen can match a 9900K in nearly every conceivable way and sell for $350 or less they have a huge winner on their hands.

4. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    There is certainly still something to gain from overclocking Ryzen especially if you have a non X CPU. One could argue that spending more time on memory tweaks will yield better results depending on use.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If you intend to put CPU under full load for entire time system is running, then Manual is OK.
    I can do 4.25GHz on all cores w/o crazy voltage and power draw. But XFR2+PBO2 can do only up to 4.025~4.050GHz and on many MB which have no Voltage offset, it is not very nice Power Draw.

But casual user or system being used for gaming, this automatic Clock boosting is better as one can get 4.3GHz in Not so much threaded games and 4.2GHz in most of games. Plus, this has quite better idle power draw as clock can go down to 2~2.2GHz and voltage too.
    = = = =
    But then there is other side of this coin. And it is very close "all core" to "max 1-core clock" of Zen/Zen+ which was due to manufacturing technology, where even bit higher clock required large jump in voltage => power draw. In other words If Zen2 on 7nm does not have crazy voltage increment requirements as clock goes close to top, 8-core max clock will be much farther away from single core boost than 300MHz Zen/Zen+ has.
    If there is like 800MHz difference between 1core and 8core boost. Then Fine tuning for specific purpose may be quite beneficial. And in case that even 1core clock can be increased w/o bad voltage bump above XFR/PBO...

6. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Skeptical but still, Computex is 25 days away. Can't wait to upgrade from my 2500K.

7. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Overclocking a locked Ryzen is even more misguided! You'll get very little performance increase under any circumstances and will lose Precision Boost - which would have given you more performance in all cases at less average power!

People need to lose the mindset that "OC is always (somehow) better". That has built whole websites but with Ryzen we're beyond it for 99.9% of enthusiast cases and 99.9999% of all cases.

Yes, spend the time on memory tweaks. Unlike overclocking the CPU, faster memory does help in a Ryzen system.

8. Bitey

Bitey Member

GPU:
    Fury X fx5
    I quite like the boost I get by a small increase in bclk and still having PB active with no real power increase ( I have a negative offset in cpu voltage)
    And the all core max being about the same standard PB clocks is very nice for multithreaded of workloads... but it does turn into a bit of space heater

my 1600x is the first processor where I am quite happy to run several OC profiles depending on what I am doing... not going back to standard clocks even if I am "misguided"

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
  10. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    If you actually do reboot and enter the UEFI to pick a different profile for each type of work, and do this day in and day out on a 1600X, then you are in the 0.1% of enthusiasts. Congratulations. Most of the other 99.9% will spend the extra $50 up front for a faster stock CPU - as you may now wish you had done. The rest will simply not find all that hassle worthwhile, nor ever want a space heater. So while it's apparently fine for you, given what you bought, advice to others to think this way would be misguided.

Last edited: May 3, 2019

11. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Enough of the salt already, release the beasts!

12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Actually Europa is correct. That's just Britons keep inventing something their own.

13. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    In resume... this is the Intel nightmare come true!
    RYZEN2.... RYZEN2.... RYZEN2.... RYZEN2... RYZEN2...

14. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    The most astonishing aspect of these leaks/rumors/fake products are not the specs (which themselves are simply incredible), but the pricing of these. AdoredTV released the pricing information along with the chip specs and I don't know...Either these are true and AMD is suicidal or they are not: the most simple reason for that is the fact that AMD still has a lot of Zen+ cpu's to sell - if they launch at this performances and PRICES then all the zen+ and Threadripper cpu's that are now in stores will go directly to garbage - nobody will buy them. I am more sure that an improvement will be but no so spectacular on prices/performance...Finger crossed and if these rumors are really true then I will promptly throw on the window the 2700X bought last winter and buy one of these.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Same thing was said about 2nd gen threadripper.

Stop spewing nonsense.

Venix and fry178 like this.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Give him a break. He's having a hard time with the idea that his $580 CPU that he just bought MAY get out performed by a $240 CPU in two months time.

Venix and fry178 like this.
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's wait and see.

Elder III likes this.
  18. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @barbacot
    what utter bullcrap.
    do you know there uses outside "single" users building a rig?
    do you know there are more uses for cpus than in desktop/laptops?
    and do you replace all your hardware every time there is a new gen. ?
    do you only buy the most expensive cpu/mb/gpu/psu!?
    no?
    not everyone in this country/planet has the same income/use etc., and i know enough ppl that will wait for a new release, only to buy previous gen for a discount.
    how about a console coming with the 8/16 TR?
    not even talking about the fact that no retailer will buy thousands of previous gen/have more than a handful in stock so close to release of new tech?

but yeah, start going thru retailers trash in a few month, see how many you'll find

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Tell that to my Ryzen 7 2700 OC'd to 4.2GHz while the RAM is running at 3466MHz... for about 8 hojillion dollars less than the 2700X was at the same time. The max single core boost of a 2700 is 4.1GHz, and the base clock is 3.2GHz.
    It should considering MSI already updated their X470 BIOSes to support "new AMD processors"... while bricking the NVMe M2 slot's ability to wake from sleep, as is MSI tradition. I have the X470 Pro Carbon and it was updated for "new processors" quite a while ago. Too bad MSI are no longer replying to my emails regarding their garbage-ass BIOS update. I don't know if I should be impressed that they responded at all with anything, which I didn't expect, or if I should be upset that it essentially took a month, wasn't a full solution, and they went full ghost immediately after. Also they never gave me my $30 MIR either despite contacting them regarding it. Bastards. MIRs are scams.

The only other board manufacturer I've tried contacting in the past eternity was ASRock and they never responded to me. They never answered a support email, and they never even answered a sales email either (some of their crap could only be bought through them, I guess they don't like money). So that, along with hearing horror stories about Asus, set up my expectations to be zero as far as motherboard manufacturers go.

That's it, next motherboard I buy is going to be from McDonald's or something. McD's is overpriced overhyped garbage but at least they're not going to Gigabyte my VRMs and technically do provide customer support.

Yes, by the power invested in me, by me, I hereby declare Gigabyte a verb.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Loophole35 and fry178 like this.
  20. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    The specs are stunning. But I'm not really going to upgrade from my R7 1700. Maybe if I decide to build a second PC.
    By the way, you can find R7 1700 CPUs for less than 140€ now. AMD's perf to price ratio has always been good, but that's a freaking steal.

chispy, Venix and airbud7 like this.