Review: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 3200 MHz 2x8 GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 2, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We are reviewing Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 16 GB 3200MHz CL16. It is another kit from this Micron subsidiary, following in the footsteps of Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB (32GB) 2666 MHz DDR4 and Ballist...

Review: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 3200 MHz 2x8 GB

fantaskarsef and Embra like this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Nice review as always HH.

I have ballistix in my second computer and love them.
    These in red might fit nicely into my Ryzen 2 upgrade. Even without the RGB! :)

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No RGB no buy. :p

4. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    Looks more like Micron E-Die, not Samsung E-Die..

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    So one price listed is 120 Euros for 16GB, 2x8. The other price is 80 Euros for 16GB, 2x8. So, I guess this is MSRP vs. actual street pricing? If so, this DDR4 is extremely well-priced--quite the bargain! It's only a tad slower than my own Patriot Viper Elite PV416G320C6K @3200MHz 16 16 16 36 1T, 2x8GB kit bought several moons ago for ~$180...! (Runs fine in my Ryzen 5 desktop.) I guess this is "budget 3200MHz DDR4". Nice find! Saving $$$--always fun! One suggestion: a paragraph devoted to the "Lifetime Limited Warranty" examining the pros and cons thereof is always interesting and informative reading--some of them are good while some are little more than pro-rated purchase schemes, etc. Micron is a reputable company, though, with a well-established track record--the last pre-built desktop I owned was in fact a Micron system in 1995 (after that it was 100%-roll-my-own systems, & never-look-back...;))

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Wow is this the 3200'th kit that is out with that kind of speed :eek:o such innovation.

7. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Where's the 79€ Price tag taken from, or is that supposed to be MSRP?

I've looked around and LPX Vengeance as well as this kit (2x 8gb 3200 CL 16) sell for ~99€ respectively in Germany.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    92 euros in Greece hey 16 gb 3200 cl16 thats a great price ! nice review HH !

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

That is MSRP but as you know DRAM prices are fluctuating by the day, currently the kit is roughly 95 EUR depending on your region and VAT.

Untitled-1.png

fantaskarsef and Venix like this.
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    yeah MSRP is before VAT tax sadly, but that's not HH's fault neither i expect HH to go on and look up the price for every country in the world those are sold !

11. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This review has some flaws in it. One is this line : "HyperThreading is much appreciated, so Intel processors are in favor." Most of AMD's latest CPUs also support hyperthreading such as the Ryzen 7 series and above. Not all of them do though just as not all Intel processors support it either.

Also, this statement : "WPrime is a good tool checking both the performance and stability (so overclockers like it very much). We put the PC under maximum stress and calculate 1024 M of prime. This utility is making calculations of a set number of square roots using Newton’s method for functions estimation, and then it verifies the results by squaring them. This final result is compared with the original numbers, in search of any discrepancies." Firstly, WPrime does not calculate prime numbers. It calculates square roots as described in the subsequent sentence. Secondly, no results from this test appear in the article so why bother describing it?

12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    MRSP already includes the tax but if the retailer wants to be greedy they will set there own price and add to it

13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    They do ? Since when? Vat is not the same on every country in europe it ranges from 15 to 25 % i have strong doubts that msrp does include that and especially when the price is on usd in the states there are states with out sales tax up to i think 15ish %(i am not 100%sure for the usa taxation so feel.free to correct me on that one if i am wrong) . It does seem stupid to release a flat price for every country and state ignoring their tax %

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    MSRPs never include tax, VAT, or whatever any country wants to call it. That doesn't mean some countries or retailers don't have it mandatory that their listing price includes those things. Some countries and retailers don't, some do, but that's not the same thing as MSRP.

MSRP has nothing to do with the political tax of a country, so i'm not sure why you think that's stupid? I mean, if a country produced a product, and only released that product in their own country, and had an MSRP that was not including the tax, i could see someone saying that's dumb, as it's only available in that country and it's provided by the countries government, there's no reason at that point to have anything but one price, but from a private company who sells their products internationally? The only thing people need to know is the MSRP, whatever your country tacks onto it is all on your country and no one else.

15. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ballistix_sport_lt_ddr4_3200_mhz_2x8_gb_review,11.html Last graph (the order is not correct)

16. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    I have these rams with a ryzen 5 2600 + asus b450-F, I've been struggling with a terrible stuttering until last night, I discovered using the alternatives OHM modes in DRAM calculator for ryzen fixed everything.