Valve Index - new VR system

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scatman839, Apr 30, 2019.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index

New headset from valve (no HTC involvement)

Comes with a new headset similar to the HTC pro but with some improvements, they new controllers that allow you to release your grip and tracks each finger, and two new trackers with a wider FoV (and up to 4 trackers for a larger play area).

Also, for Vive/Vive pro owners, the new headset & controllers work with existing trackers, so you could just get the headset or just get the new controllers.

[​IMG]

Caesar likes this.
  2. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    All we wanted was Half Life 3... Instead they keep trying to breath life to a concept that was effectively dead on arrival.

Caesar likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Very good screens. Only thing I am missing there is Adaptive-Sync. (120/144Hz are almost sufficient, but that's from display experience => small FOV. And large FOV requires either higher refresh rate of Adaptive-Sync.)
    Optics apparently great, but they do not mention correction or that there is enough space to have glasses under headset.

Those two missing things are only reason why I did not get previous models. Would love to have it wireless, but that's not that important.

Caesar likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Gimme Alien Isolation with "this" VR!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Fox2232 likes this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    £1000 i assume for us doughballs over here, i was not expecting that from Valve, looks like it will be a Rift S for me at £399, which seems like a steal compared to the index......what are valve thinking, i thought with steam hardware stats showing the Rift increasing its share to 47% while the Vive dropped to 39%, and WMR climbing to 10%, would show Valve that consumers like the cheaper option, but it seems not, maybe valve think those 39% of vive users will pay $1000 for their headset. Lol

Caesar likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Not Steam, but from Valve (metaphor);)
    There's something in the pan!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Have you not tried AI in vr, it is unplayable, you will never leave your hiding spot under a table, the immersion is just off the scale, i spent a hour just crossing the med bay which is just a small square area. Lol

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Can't speak for how much it's going to be wherever you are, but the Valve Index does not appear to be going against the Rift, Rift S, or HTC Vive, only the HTC Vive Pro

You get similar stats to the HTC Vive Pro, except it's not an OLED screen, and instead the Valve Index can do up to 144hz, HTC Vive Pro is 90hz

HTC Vive Pro:
    • 1440x1600 OLED 90Hz Screen $799

Valve Index
    • 1440x1600 LCD 144hz Screen $499

Rift S:
    • 1280x1440 LCD 80Hz screen $399

HTC Vive:
    • 1080x1200 OLED 90Hz Screen $499

Rift:
    • 1080x1200 OLED 80Hz Screen $349

(these are current, not launch, prices, though the rift appears to no longer available, that was the last price reduction i saw)

In my opinion, the Rift S cheapened out by getting rid of the OLED screen, and still is only at 80hz with a slightly higher resolution, but not up to competitors resolutions. Sure, 80hz may be fine for most things, but when there's other ones out there with higher hz and higher resolutions improving the immersion, i can't say i'd ever get a Rift S, only benefit it has is price and the fact 2 controls with it (at least for pre-order). I'm by no means saying that it doesn't have a place, it does, there should always been a tiered system with low end parts to high end parts, but that's my point, Valve Index does not appear to be competing with the Rift S, it's competing with the HTC Vive Pro, costing less then it, but offering a similar experience if you don't mind having an LCD rather then OLED, and if you want a higher refreshrate.

I will say i would have liked to see Valve produce two headsets, one with similar specifications to the Rift S, and one that they are currently releasing. It's always good to have options.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Denial and Undying like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    HL3 will be a VR game, thats why they are pushing this. ;)

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i have a Dell Vr visor that has a 1440 × 1440 px per each eye at 90 Hz and field of view are 110°, and that also comes with a LCD, and when you compare it to the CV1 the Dell beats it the CV1 on Screen res, sharpness, god rays and SDE....BUT!, that LCD just kills it with the crushed blacks, ED is a game you don't ever want to play on a LCD because black becomes grey, whereas on the CV1 the blacks are just so deep and rich, it is literally night and day between the two, so it will be quite interested to see how the S and Index LCD perform when they are out....of course my Dell Vr visor cost me £160 from ebay new, so that kind of helps negates the hardship of that LCD crushed blacks, plus it works perfectly with SteamVr games whereas the CV1 software and SteamVR have issues at times with each other that impacts on some steam bought VR games when playing them on the CV1.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Thought VR was a dead horse by now.

RzrTrek likes this.
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yes and no, they're still pushing hard for it, but I'm not having it and before ya'll smite me down, I've got a ViVE collecting dust in my drawer, but at least the technology is moving forward...

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Far from it, it is now on its second wind and gaining momentum, the vr boulder is on its way down the hill and there is no stopping it, it is great, i am sitting with 4 vr headsets now since i grabbed a Go, which is just amazing to watch media on, like sitting in your own private 2d/3d imax, love it. Lol

Next for me a move to the new Rift S in a few weeks time to replace my CV1, then the psvr 2 and Quest in 2020, glorious time for vr.

scatman839 likes this.
  14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Maybe in a year time, it will be on sale for €99. no body buying and got too much stock at hand, like it went with the steam controller and steam link (which has been sold out i read, no plans to create new ones).

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It seems the resolution is still a bit on the screen door effect side. I like the increased speed and improved controllers sounds nice too. Price looks fair (compared to the competition).

I'm buying a headset at some point, but I'm gonna wait to see what comes next in VR. Or for price drops. This might be the one. :D

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    With those kind of prices and with the lack of some sort of killer software that really makes VR shine i have to agree with you. Also i don´t really expect VR to become mainstream in gaming because most games don´t really need it but maybe VR can be successful elsewhere.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There are a billion cheap windows mixed reality headsets that work with SteamVR.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeap, you could have grabbed one at Xmas there new for £150 for some of them, and they don't require external sensors and are plug and play with W10 natively and have a lower required spec than say the Vive or CV1....great headset for steamvr games.