Dark Souls II Announced!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Wanny, Dec 8, 2012.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For the first game the only thing I can think of is DSFix which is still getting updates, for this though both the original and enhanced version now have utilities for dumping and injecting textures but I don't really know what's available, guessing the Dark Souls 1 and 2 "Nexus" websites would be a good place to check first?

Probably mostly equipment textures but perhaps there's something to improve terrain detail and other parts of the environment too by now, pretty sure there's no gameplay mods though but perhaps there's something by now?

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Thanks Jonas!

Yeah it was way too late when i started modding. So i tried to mod scholar of the first sin , and after a hour i realised (after trying to fix crashing) , gedosato does not support dx11.
    I totally forgot about that :bang:

So im basicly just down to reshade atm since none of the mods work (and there are many great looking ones on the nexus.

I can only hope that reshade will get texture injection at one point.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Reviving this thread from the ashes :D

I have started to play this game (SOTF) again because Sekiro isnt my thing atm lol. to much deflecting for me.

At first, the stock game looked rather missing stuff compared tot the PS4 pro version so i decided to try some mods.

So far ive got set for my 1070:

-IGP11 launcher with forced lumasharping and bokeh field of depth. (no HDR unfortunately like in Dark Souls 3 , which looks very nice)
    -Nvidia Inspector forced: Vsync on, 16xAF,-1000 lod bias clamp,high quality texture filtering
    -Process lasso: set high for priority class and IO priority , induced performance mode and exclude from pro balance.
    -Resolution set to 3840x2160 and maximum graphic settings.

So far the game has been running flawless and ive been instantly hooked. ill try to see if i can make some screenshots lol.

Is anyone still playing older Dark Souls games ?

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Scholar of the First Sin should have all the PC enhancements from Dark Souls 2 PC and the enhancements from Scholars though for a slightly older game there is a possibility the PS4(Pro in particular.) version could be running downsampling and/or HDR which wouldn't be a thing for PC so that might differ.

Enhancements range from really detailed character and equipment textures (I'd say they go above the quality level in Dark Souls 3) to improvements in shadows, water and also model quality though I believe the depth of field, motion blur and ambient occlusion effects are fairly basic stuff.

First Sin in addition also somewhat alters the lighting and makes a few areas better, keep early on is a notable example as is the N64 woods or foggy woods or what their actual name was which now isn't bright white something but actually has depth fog though beyond a few "Ooh" areas like these where you can see a distinct difference it retains a similar overall level of quality to the base game and nothing close to the earlier PS3 tech demo build.

Gameplay changes range into spoiler territory but the spawns aside which sometimes feel a bit cheap or entirely out of place it does keep things a bit more varied and there's some surprises in NG+ mode or when using a bonfire ascetic though I do not recall any of the three DLC areas being significantly changed other than integrated a bit more in how you don't just get the key but have to find it first.

It also doesn't do a thing for the hit balance (Well, hitboxes.) which I loved in Dark Souls 1 felt completely off in Dark Souls 2 and then Dark Souls 3 returns to being better but the mismatch in speed feels a bit off but it's not as bad as getting hit when the attack is still playing out or clearly missed even if it's not hand tweaked near pixel perfect Dark Souls 1 where it is possible to roll over or under a in motion attack without getting hit at all.

This sort of stuff.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/4zpnp1/ds1_hitboxes_are_amazing/

[​IMG]

Less of this.

[​IMG]

Using the Pursuer is kinda cheating since it's really wonky so here's a ogre which isn't much better but grab attacks overall has been a problem in the series since Dark Souls 2 and also Sekiro though Sekiro then goes and makes it really uncomfortable for players to get grabbed because a few enemies will literally go Japanese folklore and rip your soul out of your behind and stick it up their own behind so yeah...don't get grabbed by headless. :p

There's a general combat gif in the Not Blighttown area (Gutter was it?) using one of those dog enemies that also has the attack hit mid-animation, sync glitches or oversights like that are really annoying but they do happen very frequently unfortunately.

Other than that? Not too much, lot of the major things even got patched into Dark Souls 2 regular though this has revamped enemy balance or well placement at least and then some fun stuff as you either start going into the Bonfire Ascetics or full New Game+ mode, similar downsides too so early on adaptability is useful for getting back the oh so familiar and really useful i-frames and potion chugging world-mastery speeds but that's some 20 - 25 points that could have gone into other stuff before that gets soft capped and really diminishing returns.

I liked the game including the SOTFS version though some enemy placements are a bit meh, still haven't picked up Sekiro but will probably get it at a discount price as I like the world from what I've seen so far but the gameplay and working on counter and parrying as a main mechanic isn't really my thing. :)

EDIT: Ah there's that old Reddit topic about the hitboxes.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/264t6s/the_actual_truth_about_hitboxes/

Long as you keep in mind they can be a bit wonky it shouldn't be too problematic and death is fairly minor, sure you loss a portion of your max health temporarily but it's manageable. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Redemption80 likes this.
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No such thing as a bad reply from JonasBeckman.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well I try to make it detailed but I have a tougher time focusing so it's a bit of everything so the posts tend to be a bit lengthy. :D
    To try and shorten it somewhat at least SOTFS has a few new phantoms, revamps enemy placement but the main line with Aldia was also patched into the original, DLC should be mostly untouched but the keys require some scavenging.

Core issues? Well adaptability and the soul level system is divisive among the community and the new enemy placement can pull things from later areas and someone had a real thing for Fragrant Branch of Yore path blocking statues.
    Personal opinion? It's fun but flawed and the hitbox issue will be something I think most players will end up noticing and then there's also how the game progression is set up and the infamous elevator area transition.
    (Which might or might not be due to a cut area that should have bee in-between these two points.)

And then the rest can go here..

DirectX 11 and 64-bit from memory, I find the PC port to be really good especially for how they learned from and improved over Dark Souls 1 but I might have forgotten a few things and SOTFS polishes up some areas but not to the extent seen in the earlier media.

And while I don't know for sure I heard the game engine split from Dark Souls 1 and was essentially built again whereas Dark Souls 3 ran with and updated the code base from Dark Souls 1 or rather Bloodborne which was released before but only on console and PS4 exclusive. (Modding primarily is where that comes from, people finding Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 fairly different code wise but then Dark Souls 3 and Dark Souls 1 were very familiar.)

Think that's about all before I run off on some tech spree or other element, ultimately texture quality and visuals are nice and all but that's not going to do much for the core gameplay and feel.

Also I primarily played as a melee fighter trying different weapons and I know they altered magic a bit which for PvP balance and From doing some adjustments might have resulted in making a few spells less viable though others could be more useful (PvE and PvP) and then there's a whole other series of articles on what is called Power Stance as one other change the game has added.

Here's a video on that.

It's been years I'm probably missing tons of stuff or forgetting other important bits, don't think there's any issues with invasion and PvP or co-op though the soul level system and how it ties into New Game+ is a thing...and I almost forgot that I think this also carries to equipment levels so upgraded gear adds a modifier to your total. :)
    (This also applies to Dark Souls 3 and it should also be a thing in the re-released edition of Dark Souls 1 but not the original version of that game.)

EDIT: I think, don't completely remember but it was either SOTFS adjusting PvP and balance and rules and all or the gear level system came with Dark Souls 3 but I do know it applies to Dark Souls 1 or rather the remaster of it.

EDIT: And yeah tons of stuff but it is a pretty complicated game underneath with a lot of little mechanics and touches, Power Stance in Dark Souls 2 is completely optional and just something you might or might not stumble upon and that's just one thing.

Think it was 15 - 20 points for adaptability and the invincibility frames and potion drink speed being closer to Dark Souls 1 too but builds and such are quite open so it's not like you have to spend the earlier levels just building this one stat up either. :)
    (Soft capping at 30 somewhere where you only get minimal gains for the points invested.)

EDIT: Applies to Dark Souls 1 and 3 too for that matter, Sekiro too really. Hidden mechanics and depths and alternate progression possibilities are a bit of a staple I suppose by now.

Dark Souls 1 just start with a certain key and you can completely change the normal game progression and paths though it's not going to be the easiest trek.

Dark Souls 3 has a few things too such as early on just attacking instead of quietly accepting the banner though it means a fight.

Sekiro well you have that grapple and can pretty much move around as you want, some upgrades make it easier but many areas can be reached early on too. Less gear and more around skills and using consumable items in this though.

And more. Goes a bit outside the scope for Dark Souls 2 here and Scholars but the game and it's re-released version certainly have plenty of things to discover too.
    (Trying to avoid any blatant spoilers for SOTFS also and some of it's changes and additions.)

EDIT: Yeah let's get one more in here why not.

Personal preference really in the end, for some players the hitbox system and the stat changes or addition of a soul level might be minor. For others they might feel like they completely break the game.

I am fairly positive to the game and for others it stands as a bit of a low point in the series or even the worst of all of the Souls games. Suppose it's nothing new but putting it in text here for how I describe some mechanics or potential flaws or problems and playing the game and experiencing these things are different.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    I still have to finish DS1 but I will probably end up buying the remastered version and start over.
    I am almost through with DS3 (currently taking a break playing Sekiro).
    I've never tried DS2 because for some reason every time a watch a gameplay video I'm put off by the graphics, which look bland even when compared to DS1 (DS3 I find superb).
    Is this true? I'm tempted to buy DS2 anyway as it is on sale on steam, but I'm afraid of its seemingly washed-out look.

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yeah im fairly sure its somewhat different.

I have tried to take some screenshots, and after configuring my controller for 2 hours i finally managed to bind the screenshot button to the ps button with DS4 windows. i was using input mapper for like always, but that hasn't been updated and it seems Microsoft changed something in their drivers (from what i read on their forum).
    The creator is currently re-building input mapper 1.7 from scratch and it will come with its own windows driver which should state its a dual shock 4 and not a xbox360 controller anymore. but its a slow process, he works on it when he can , but life comes in the way at times. i also need such software to adjust the dead zone and anti dead zone since the port is rather shameful on PC when it comes to that. (needs 20DZ and 30 ADZ for LS and RS).

but its working with ds4windows now, but the screenshots look rather horrible. I am currently used only MSI afterburner to take screenshots , but the screenshots do not capture exactly what is on my screen. the screenshots look washed out and lack some HDR it seems. Maybe this IGP11 hooks the game differently then usual , i will have to check other programs out to take screenshots. any recommendations for that BTW ? i checked out FRAPS , but it seems the creator has gone missing for a few years and it never got a update after adding dx11 i think.

about the game , yes it is highly unfair when it comes to the hit boxes, but in a way i kind of grown to like that. id rather call it a feature of dark souls games hehe. besides the hit boxes there is also the animation, where it suddenly can go twice the speed for some characters, so you expect a strike , and before you can press dodge or block it has already hit you lol . just another feature of the game i guess.

I'm starting to think DS2 is the most advanced version of any DS game, since it has so many elements that never made it to DS3 or were in DS1 as well. like getting to half health when you die a lot and it can be only restored with humanity. i think that is a nice touch. or that you can grind a area until it starts spawning less and less enemy until its totally clean of them. (despawning enemies)
    The sad thing is, there is no NPC whom you can sell your weapons to i think, they never added one with the SOTF edition. neither with DS remastered mind you.
    it also has poise and weapon degradation which helps being more cautious.
    Majula looks better then fire shrine.

im pretty sure the effects dont show on my screenshots.

[​IMG]

it is only showing the lod bias -1 , and not lumasharpening , bokeh dof, HDR and vibrance set int he IGP11 menu.

there should be a beam of light showing and the rock wall and ground should be much more detailed.

off screen photo
    [​IMG]

although it is at a somewhat different position , i am not able to see the tower in the back untill i fully went outside of the cave. the light is just too strong.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  10. might have to consider dedicated capturing (last resort)

EDIT: @WhiteLightning wait what am I saying, What about Nvidia's Ansel?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2019

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I guess it depends whether the screenshot is captured from viewport or frame buffer.

The latter won't show injected post-process effects I think.

How about Steam's screenshot function?