Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm interested in this game as I liked the original RAGE but being a Bethesda release have decided to hold off buying it until after I've read some reviews of the PC version. Sorry but I just don't trust them anymore after the awfulness of Fallout '76 even though I know they are only publishing this. Still expect them to mess it up somehow though...

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Damn. There's no way I won't have a lot of fun with this.

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    System requirements are out.

Minimum System Requirements:
    A 64-bit processor and operating system is required
    Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 3GB or AMD R9 280 3GB
    Storage: 50 GB available space

Recommended System Requirements:
    A 64-bit processor and operating system is required
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB or AMD Vega 56 8GB
    Storage: 50 GB available space

https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/41842/kw/~any~

Stone Gargoyle likes this.

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    hmm is my FX8300 4200 GHz enough??? i already pre-purchased the game. that 8GB GPU recommended tho was not expecting that gulp its a good thing it is runnin Vulkan!!

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    They do seem close to one another going by these comparisons so I would assume so?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570-vs-AMD-FX-8300

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sure that fx 8300 will run this better than poor 4c/4t 3570 i5.

Where did you hear its running Vulkan? This is not id tech engine.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im holding off because of this :-

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    i was certain I remember hearing ti would have Vulkan support *(mebbe down the line)* but after doing research I cant find anything at all that upholds this. my bad

i guess it is cos Mad Max had vulkan support so we can only hope it comes to this post release

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  10. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Hmm.... I'm with you there in not liking that either. "Certain features" are one thing and understandable.. but it does say "to play" as well...

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hope it's not online only DRM. I'm sick of the regressive behaviour in recent times from this shitty industry. I'll skip this just like MK11 if it turns out to be online only throughout the game and not just minor features like leaderboards.

Kolt likes this.
  12. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    I hope this game isn't gonna be an open world grind fest. Like you have to do 20 outposts before unlocking a story mission or something. I just wanna blast through the story and skip the side mission stuff.
    I stopped playing Mafia 3 for this reason, the story missions are cool but I can't stand the repetitive crap you have to do to unlock them.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I expect something akin to the first game and Avalanche New York's work on Just Cause 2 and Mad Max personally but it could differ.

IE gating to new areas behind story missions possibly requiring some "dungeon" or area cleared up before you're allowed to pass gradually opening up the world.
    That's what Mad Max used, Just Cause 2 relied more on just X amount of booms caused and red painted objects are bad and filling this chaos meter for the next story mission so some buildup or faction warfare could also be featured.

Fully open world could work too though, here's your ark surfacing now out you go and don't come back and there's a town in convenient short distance and some basic gear and tutorial early stuff and then it all comes unlocked and you can travel just about anywhere.
    APEX engine after all and not idTech so no large overworld maps and loading to separate dungeons and later overworld maps so once the initial loading is finished it could handle streaming just about anything. :)

EDIT:
    Also curious on the open world itself, Mad Max and Just Cause were pretty but mostly empty and having random spawns and activities and details were for the "hotspot" areas and mission places whereas a more dynamic and living world is something I like but that's hard to achieve especially if you have a big vast landmass though post-apocalyptic here so the bigger life being in towns and such does make sense.

I really like what Ubisoft achieved with Watch_Dogs 2 here, it does spawn in and have dynamic events but it feels very alive and more realistic but it hasn't been seen in any of their other games so far whether it's Creed or Cry or Wildlands.

Bethesda's own GameBryo/Creation games can be really felt from this as there's just these defined areas that always spawn some event as you travel through them running through some list of possible spawns against a number of criteria though it's a very common system and it's less "And these dudes just popped out from thin air." so masking that things just spawn in around a radius surrounding the player has improved since the earlier open world games for many developers. :)
    (What's that, driving in Far Cry 2? Have hyper aggressive enemy jeep with turbo-charger spawning right behind you!)

EDIT: And of course for the older games trying for a more living world we had a handful of NPC's and maybe not even that for the main plot relevant characters whereas games like GTA or Just Cause tries to give the illusion of a living active world. :)

Though RAGE here is bit less alive and a bit more dead ever since the great mooning incident way back when everyone thought nano-powers and cryo-sleep in some burrowing arc canister system was a great idea!
    (Probably should have had more than the usual one year warranty for these things...)

EDIT: That's this.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah it would be fair to assume it will be mad max's formula. The game looks fun so I think I'll be fine. I don't play far cry games so I'm not burnt out on the template lol.

Undying likes this.
  15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The trailers and all do look really fun so I'm not too worried, spawns and such isn't too big of a issue though it will be interesting to see how it's handled but at least it should have less alarm nonsense and a endless array of clone men materializing ha ha.
    Forgot exactly how Rage did the open world or well the hubs for each major area but I think it mostly relied on the car for traversal and random raiders from a few locations driving about and then more on foot combat for the areas of interest and the main dungeons which were usually a load instance to a separate map.

For this engine it could be more seamless and probably close to Mad Max possibly also having various spawns between day and night and other environments and mixing it up a bit more. :)
    Not sure if they've done many actual gameplay videos but I assume once the NDA expires closer to release there will be a big number of gameplay videos from streamers and reviewers too though that does also risk spoilers and some of these authors are none to subtle even using thumbnails and titles of major events which can be a problem though not all games are super story heavy either. :D

EDIT: Hmm wonder what the map looks like, probably hotspots and areas of interest but we will see soon enough as the game is about one and a half week out now from release if I didn't fumble the date entirely, May 14th. :)

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, May 14th! I hope the game is good and the PC version has no drama because this and yakuza kiwami 2 are the only games I'm interested in this year.

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Rage 2 supports uncapped framerates on PC, along with a couple of other welcome features.

Bethesda announced that Rage 2 has officially gone gold on all platforms, including PC. Special attention appears to have been paid to the PC version, and the publisher revealed the full list of requirements to boot.

For starters, Rage 2 features an FOV slider on PC, and supports ultra-wide (21:9) and even super ultra-wide (32:9) resolutions. The framerate is uncapped, and you’ll be able to toggle the HUD on or off. The same is true for motion blur, and depth of field.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/06/rage-2-pc-minimum-recommended-specs/

emperorsfist likes this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I sort of never thought of framerate being uncapped as a "feature"... I always thought of framerate as just you get what your hardware is capable of, with badly implemented console ports being the source of framerates being capped on PC, and now they are referring to porting games correctly to PC as having "unlocked framerates" as a feature...

Unless for some strange reason a developer ties facial animation to 30 frames per second... *eye twitches*

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Kolt, Party Poison and emperorsfist like this.
  19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah that used to be common enough in older games and engines having animations, physics and other time sensitive things all going via the framerate in various ways making it really difficult to patch it out and even more difficult with the older practice of moving on to the next game...so let's trash all existing code and assets and start this other thing because backup routines were less of a thing then.

Think Final Fantasy VII and IX suffered from this with VII or 7 to not use Roman numeral systems had little archived and for IX I think the port was a result from reverse engineering the Playstation console version, not too uncommon but adds work.
    (VII they finally found code for in some archive from the studio doing the old PC port from some incomplete master and there's some article on that but yeah it's problematic.)

DSFix for Dark Souls had a 60 FPS uncapper but it took a lot of additional work to minimize problems such as ladders and not dying from fall damage due to higher framerates.
    Pretty sure APEX engine in Just Cause hasn't had a problem with high framerate though some of the idTech game engines had some time sensitive stuff but I would imagine the newer stuff post Quake 2 or Quake 3 would have greatly reduced this.
    (DOOM 3 had some issues but I think that was the last one but I could remember it wrong, com_fixedtic or some such and SPEEEED if you didn't set a framerate limit or other issues from just ticking that off.)

1080p60 on console too so that's a win or well PS4 Pro and XBox One X but I don't think they've said anything for 2160p30 or downsampling which the stronger hardware on the One X in particular should be capable of handling.
    Though it could still hit somewhat higher shadow and post-process effects and such if they have some X patch down the line.

And then we'll see but going by Mad Max and Just Cause 2 APEX can do pretty well if the team has time and experience working with it, Just Cause 3 hit a number of issues bolting on some extras after Mad Max with not enough time and the console version in particular was in pretty poor shape but that's the New York studio and also under Square Enix and their management which I could be wrong but I think it could do with some overhauling.

20. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

It drove me mad when Black ops 4 was coming out and the Features in the pc trailer flashed up, " UNACPPED FRAMERATE! " " 4k RESOLUTION! "

Mother fracker pls.

Thats the expectation for pc games. That is why the pc market exists.

Kolt likes this.