Jon Peddie Research Predicts that 20 million PC gamer will move towards console gaming by 2022

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    My research group predicts that 30 million Console gamers will move towards PC gaming by 2023.

Now give me all your money.

tunejunky, Ulenn, Margalus and 21 others like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Okay honestly, this news item is silly.

Moore's law is also affecting every other electronig device... so when we have AMD fabricating console SOCs and normal CPUs, I think they are pretty much crippled by the same issues. Seeing this as a reason to switch to consoles is nonsensical.

TVs are getting better, killing off the need for a console... this will kill consoles, not PC gaming. Games as a streaming service could do that, but this will kill consoles as well, so it's not helping PC gamers to switch to consoles... nonsensical again.

Exclusives on consoles? Since when has that been a new thing, or something that changes things massively? I doubt that this will increase though since the greed is strong, and most money can still be made by games being released on both consoles and PC.

If PC gaming dies (like they have said for a couple of years now), it's not for those three reasons put forward.

edit: To clarify, not posting it is silly, but as usual I have troubles agreeing with JPR.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Any chance he's a flatearther as well?

Ricardo, ManuKey, Loophole35 and 6 others like this.

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I completely agree with your assessment... if those entry level pc owners move to anything, it's going to be gamestreaming... which would make sense tbh.

tunejunky, ManuKey and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just think that PC enthusiasts will remain PC enthusiasts, entry level gaming will die with games as a service (although, they could run via a TV / small PC / small console, crippling consoles as well).
    And for many people even a console doesn't make sense compared to gamestreaming with only a small cheap box or even incorporated into TVs.
    Consoles have caught up well with the PC, especially since streaming from consoles and recording has gotten a grip, but essentially, I don't see the market switching from PC to consoles more than it did anyway.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I completely agree - actually i would say that the fact that development of new hardware capability is slowing down significantly is more of an incentive to buy a high end pc, as it keeps the pc on par for much longer.
    Just like i have my 6 year old 4930k @ 4.5 ghz with 6 cores and 12 threads... it was only very recently made "obsolete" by the 8 core 16 thread 9900k. Still have very little incentive to upgrade atm though, as my cpu can still pull higher than my gpus in all games. When you can keep hardware for that long, a highend pc becomes fairly inexpensive in the long run :)

Maddness, Kolt and carnivore like this.
  9. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Sadly where i live a GTX1060 costs more than min wage... Not kiddin. Same also for all other PC components. For an 1080p 60fps gaming PC we need to pay 4.5-5.5X of min wage (all amd system) (for intel/nvidia system it is around 6x-6.5x) Most of the people are waiting for new consoles, new amd zen / navi or game streaming services. Sadly it is same for the game prices, for both pc and consoles, almost 1/4 - 1/5 of min wage, sometimes more. My gpu died a week ago and i simply can't find a good replacement at a reasonable price, i am on nvidia Geforce NOW beta and igpu. I can buy a console (ps4 pro) now here at the same price of an 1070ti gtx, or 1660ti/2060 , depends on seller 2.5-3.5x min wage, but game prices is also so high. I will probably go for a game streaming service and stay there for a long time.

10. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Where do you live? But yeah, in your case, gamestreaming will make alot more sense, assuming that you have decent internet.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    /thread

Kolt likes this.
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have an Xbox One S controller for my PC... haha!

I win... I think.. maybe..

Ulenn and mbk1969 like this.
  14. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    20 million PC gamers, realising there weren't actually gamers in the first place, pleb their asses back to consoles

Kolt, Prince Valiant and SHS like this.
  15. Bitey

Bitey Member

GPU:
    Fury X fx5
    Think more this is the corporate choice, not the consumer choice.

Both consoles have almost the same hardware which is pretty much a PC, but they have mastered the art of locking out the consumer out....

tunejunky likes this.

16. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    I would happily move to a console once the performance is improved ,BUT i cannot not that dam controller

airbud7 likes this.
  17. sKutDeath

sKutDeath Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP 4090
    I would give up gaming before I switch to a console....

Kolt, mbk1969 and RzrTrek like this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    agree...reaction time on a console is slow af! ....

and auto aim? in pc gaming we call that a hack.

Ricardo, Singleton99 and ManuKey like this.
  19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If PC hardware is expensive in your parts compared to the wages, is a really good, reliable net connection still cheap? Because you'd need a 105% reliable one for game streaming. You'd also need for the provider's server farm to be reasonably close to you, not across the sea. Even if all of those were perfect, the service will still cost you a lot, I reckon far in excess of the likes of Netflix, yet due to technical and business limitations, the selection of games would be restricted. You could eagerly wait for a particular game, only to find out it's not available at all or you'd in fact need to subscribe to another streaming service to do it. In the end the ones running the service can only care about their own profits, and it's all statistics.

I don't believe in the game streaming service at all, and I won't believe in it even after it has seemingly launched. Maybe 10 years of perfect service would change my mind, but I don't expect to see that. I'm not talking about limited stuff, you can already use your browser to play tetris, I'm talking about something that can actually replace local hardware in running stuff from the bottom freeware to the AAA titles. But then again, it's going to be some puritan geezer deciding every title available in the service, so it would be highly limited anyway, technical limitations or not.

butjer1010 likes this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X