New C++ Installer released [Hassle free uninstaller/reinstaller]

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Jackalito and Undying like this.
  2. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    addobi1406 vcredist v0.18.2 https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist/releases/tag/v0.18.2
    Command line switches:
    Code:
    Usage:        VisualCppRedist_AIO_x86_x64.exe [switches]
           All switches are optional, case-sensitive.

/y   - Passive mode, shows progress but requires no user interaction. *All* Runtime packages are installed.
    /ai  - Quiet mode, no user input required or output shown. *All* Runtime packages are installed.
    /ai5 - Quiet mode. *Only* 2005 package is installed.
    /ai8 - Quiet mode. *Only* 2008 package is installed.
    /aiX - Quiet mode. *Only* 2010 package is installed.
    /ai2 - Quiet mode. *Only* 2012 package is installed.
    /ai3 - Quiet mode. *Only* 2013 package is installed.
    /ai9 - Quiet mode. *Only* 2019 package is installed.
    /aiO - Quiet mode. *Only* VSTOR 2010 package is installed.
    /aiE - Quiet mode. *Only* Extra VB/C package is installed.
    /aiV - Quiet mode. *Only* VC++ packages are installed.
    /aiC - Passive mode. *All* packages are installed, except UCRT KB3118401.
    /aiM - Manual mode, shows installation script with prompt.
    /aiU - Uninstall mode, remove all detected runtimes.
    /aiH - Hide or Show Runtimes entries in Add/Remove Programs panel.
    /gm2 - Optional switch to disable extraction dialog for all other switches
    /sfxlang: - Set the program display language, if possible. Example: /sfxlang:1031
    /h | /? - Display help.

/y give the same default behavior, but without the begin prompt and finnish message

only /sfxlang and /gm2 can be specified with other switches
    if other switches specified together, only the latest will have effect. Example, this will only install Extra VB/C package:
    Code:
    /ai5 /ai8 /aiO /aiE
    /sfxlang most be first switch to have effect. Example:
    Code:
    /sfxlang:1031 /aiV
    VSTOR switch /aiO is letter O not zero 0

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    err, I still using Visual C++ Redist Installer V56 from burf, But I fiqured I try this new one listed here and just open a can of issues. this new installer dont work like burf which was super simple easy to use.

It was simple cmd that asked if I wanted to uninstall old runtimes then installed the new runtimes. I hit "y" and it did exactly that. which main reason why I used it.

How do i get this new one work exactly like Burf which no longer updated.

VisualCppRedist_AIO_x86_x64.exe /aiD /y

Assuming the above would do this? Not that I want to be doing these switches each time there new release. I preferred Burfs cause it default behavior was to uninstall then install new stuff there simple cmd with "y"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti

Use this only: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...istributable-runtimes-2019-03-20.76588/page-3

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I not following.

I got the install for this and it did not uninstall all the old one then install the new ones. It left all the old stuff and install new stuff, with no real means of uninstalling other then manual or threw command switchs.

Sadly this is not simple as burfs hit "y" to uninstall all runtimes and install new ones.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think I fiqure it though its more steps then I perfer.

download current versions from https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist
    Extract the zip
    then extract .exe
    use uninstall to uninstall all VC
    use install to install all new ones

Am I correct in this?

After this I can guse burfs Easy "Ngen (.NET Framework) Runner v5" to compile them?

7. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  8. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    v0.19.0 https://github.com/abbodi1406/vcredist/releases/tag/v0.19.0

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Ngen has nothing to do with VC redistributables. VC binaries are for C/C++. And Ngen is for .Net Framework assemblies.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hah I always installed all the VC stuff then ran ngen in that order to fix permission issue with windows on clean installs. among other things that didnt work correct in windows till after ngen was ran

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/ngen-exe-native-image-generator

.Net assemblies contain so called Immediate Language instructions, not native CPU ones. When .Net application is executed IL code is compiled to native CPU code on the fly by the Just-In-Time compiler. Ngen.exe compiles .Net assemblies to native ones and stores them in cache thus eliminating compilation at the application execution.

But I would not advice to use Ngen.exe. It is considered by many experts that modern JIT compiler in .Net is much more intelligent, much more optimizing.
    - so no execution speed improvement.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    likes said I do it fix permissions issue among other thing issue after clean install windows. cause it fixes those issue for me. weather its better or worse then automated compiler is irrelevant to me.

the explorer permissions in folders and other parts OS permissions are all kinds of screwy before the compiling is done. which main reason why I just use ngen after clean install of the OS. and me install the VC then running ngen was just order in which I did it

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which command line do you use with ngen.exe?

14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    what.........

It unistalls the old and installs the newest for me.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like said I just use Burf "Easy Ngen (.NET Framework) Runner v5.bat" and let it do full, it fixes permissions issue in explorer and other parts of the OS when the it just been clean installed. which recreates all images, according to the bat

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The GUI base one does not and did not for me. if I download it and the extract file with in the zip and use the uninstall.bat it does

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which permissions issue? I ask because I failed to find anything about ngen.exe related to permissions. I viewed Burf`s cmd-file and all it does for "full" choice is forced updating of all generated earlier native images (which could become invalidated - generated for older versions of .Net assemblies).

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if I dont run that after clean install of windows, in the explorer there are ALOT folders that tell me I dont have permissions. view or change files in said folders, after running the .bat and reboot run those message for most part stop

I would not be surpised it has nothing to do with fixing for all i know maybe its VC stuff that fix it it might not be that either. I never ask thought about why this fixed that issue, cause I install that VC stuff then run burf ngen with option 1 and reboot and those message are gone

If I forget to do those no mater how many time I reboot or what update I get those permission issue on folder would remain till I do that stuff

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @tsunami231

But there are folders where user doesn`t need access. Like "WinSxS" inside Windows folder, like store apps.

PS Anyway, that`s a mystery to me, because being a developer I understand what VC installers and ngen.exe do. And in no way their activities are related to permissions. But if you reckon you get the solution for the problem it is good. Even if it looks like a ritual.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Taking permissions of some folders (Program Data notably due to it's system links and such.) can also break stuff, Net runtime optimization is a odd one though it should be a scheduled OS task every X couple of days following a update or following a reboot after a system update. (Being a bit slow to start here oh yeah you're running NGEN and the prefetecher together isn't that nice hah well minor complaints really. :p )

Latest installer works fine here to remove and install the newest included runtimes, no issues or anything with permissions (If needed it will elevate to admin.) though I haven't bothered with the NGEN bat file and I don't know if it's updated for newer changes in OS's or newer .NET versions and the OS handles it on it's own in normal situations though with Windows 10 on a constant change then yeah normal is ... fluid .. I suppose one could say and features change or are added or removed. :D

Still believe the importance of these and the DirectX runtimes are enough for where they should be standard in the OS similar to .NET maybe like .NET 3.5 enable as a optional feature but so much relies on these runtimes but I guess it's not changing anytime soon nice as it would be to have a easy way to just let the OS do things ha ha.
    (I do like 2019 replacing and building on 2017 which did the same for 2015 though, can't change the earlier ones but it's a nice improvement.)

EDIT: Although I am a bit curious as to how the .NET optimizer and calling NGEN from command line and invoking it alters permissions at all, it should just run the OS cleanup task on command and if changes are detected it'll do it's thing.

But if it things are working for you then that's that, curious as to why but then again that goes for Windows 10 in many other cases so it is how it is. As long as nothing breaks really and it should be fine. :)