RTX 2070 Generating alot of heat.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lowki, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I have an evga rtx 2070 xc ultra. The cooler is massive on this card. So to my surprise the thing heats up my case like crazy. I can feel the heat when I place my hand on the case window. I have 5 fans on the case so there is airflow. I'm wondering if I can disable the boosting of the card it runs pretty constant at 1900 some mhz. Get it running at a stable clock speed that doesn't put out so much heat. My last card was a gtx 980 classified doesn't even come close to the heat this thing outputs.

2. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Does anyone else feel these cards run way to hot? Just out of curiosity. Ofcourse I could just alter the clocks with afterburner. Wish nvidia would put oc settings in the drivers or atleast have a dual bios switch for a less aggressive bios.

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Sooo... what temps DO you get??
    What fan speed?
    I've been using the card pretty much since launch, maybe I can tell you if it looks wrong. But you need to actually say what is going on.

That being said, no I don't have any issues. My settings give me a boost clock of 2040-2070, usually locked at 2055. Using my own fan curve, temps rarely go above 64 C on a hot day.

Also you need to understand how heat works. With a smaller cooler, the GPU would still create the same amount of heat. What matters is whether that heat is just cooking the GPU core, or being dissipated into the air.

Example, if your GPU says it's 80 C, then you ramp the fan speed up and now it says its 60 C, that doesn't mean less heat is being generated by the GPU. It means you have managed to push more of the heat from the GPU core to the air. Which yes, can make things like the CPU hotter.

The fact that you can feel the heat like that SHOULD mean the cooler is doing it's job.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Its a big chip, should be no surpise, die area is similar in size to the 1080ti. hot air isn't a bad thing, if the temps are ok, just means the cooler is doing it's job well.

if you want less heat output, like you mentioned youcan use something like msi afterburner , to lower the power target, and/or tweak the voltage offset.

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I just noticed something as well. My card has an 8 and a 6 pin input. On the 8 pin +2 the 2 was on the outside and not inserted all the way. Maybe just a placebo but the card seems to be running a bit cooler now.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Most likely this caused one (or more) of fans not getting enough juice.
    However, what temperatures are we talking about?

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Oh the chip never reached over 65c it was the ambient temperature of the case. I changed the fan profile to aggressive. It just really surprises me how much heat these chips put off. Nvidia used to be the run cool and efficient cards.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just because the cards "run cool" doesn't mean they don't generate a LOT of heat. It just means the cooler is doing it's job effectively.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    So what is your problem then? 65c is a solid temperature. Generally speaking anything below 70c is perfect.

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Temps seem fine.

Glass windows do tend to get a bit warm but I wouldn’t worry, just seems like efficient cooling of the GPU with the heat being pushed out into the chassis, if the air flow is fine then the rest of the components shouldn’t suffer.

11. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    If you are still worried try getting better fans for intake and exhaust the hot air out ;)