Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Matrixqw

Matrixqw Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260 1GB
    Microsoft adds two keys that your app doesn't. It works without them but they must be there for a reason.

HKR, "Interrupt Management", 0x00000010
    HKR, "Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties", 0x00000010

2. Matrixqw

Matrixqw Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260 1GB
    I suppose limit and max limit should have the same value.
    When i installed Intel Sata driver it set limit to 80. That's strange because max limit is 1.
    I changed limit to 1 since it makes no sense to use higher.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That`s the syntax for inf-file. According to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/inf-addreg-directive it means:
    add registry subkey "Interrupt Management" in the root key "HKR" with flag "0x00000010"​
    where:
    • HKR - relative root, in which keys that are specified by using this abbreviation are relative to the registry key associated with the INF section in which this AddReg directive appears;
    • 0x00000010 (FLG_ADDREG_KEYONLY) - create the given subkey, but ignore any supplied value-entry-name and/or value.

PS And my app does not create these two keys. It only checks for their presence and reads and writes the registry values in "Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties".

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    akbaar likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No. Only one line per device.

No. RSS utilizes one message per CPU core.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If device doesn`t support more than one message you can set maximum allowed value for the limit - it still will not use more than one message. This limit value has actual meaning only for devices which support/implement more than one message.

6. Matrixqw

Matrixqw Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260 1GB
    Changing devices to MSI mode results in big fps loss.
    I use an old game with high fps and it drops around 200fps.
    MSI mode for video or network will drop fps performance. Audio alot less but still causes drops.
    Have an Asus Z97K (integrated: network, audio) and Nvidia GTX 1060 with Windows 10 1809.

If this happens to me, I believe this happens to anyone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Matrixqw

You are welcome to search the thread for such reports.

And no - if something happens with your rig it doesn`t automatically means that this thing happens with all other rigs. The number of combinations of HW, FW, SW, settings and users` minds is beyond estimation.

PS One time I forgot to set up v-sync mode in NV control panel and one of my fav old games went crazy in some places rendering unplayable. So I am perfectly fine with v-synced 60Hz in all games.

Smough likes this.
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I think your the first person to report this, I don't have any issues with MSI mode and my integrated networking driver is stock config in MSI mode..performance wise I have not noticed any change either way, on/off on display driver.
    It will save conflicts with IRQ that might help.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Matrixqw

I already wrote that idea here in this thread:
    MSI mode tweak is not about performance, it is about troubleshooting - it can improve first stage of interrupt handling which can get rid of such glitches as audio popping, video micro-stuttering or -freezing.

Hence if your rig works fine with devices in legacy Line mode you don`t need to be upset or obsessed with failure of MSI mode. Don`t waste time dwelling in all this.

10. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I used to have tons of audio pops while playing BF4, it usually happens. I thought it was normal until i looked up Windows Tweaks and Gaming Tweaks and came upon this article on Guru3D. It mostly fixed my audio popping and it feels alot smoother visuals and not jerky. Going from Line to MSI/MSIx i saw in BF4, panning from left to right was a lot smoother.
    I also enabled MSI/MSIx on HD Audio and i believed it seems to help though MBK1969 will say not to, i prefer to.

11. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    best tool forever, cant live without, if it was paid premium, i would gladly buy and support

12. ELKR

ELKR Guest

GPU:
    1080ti 11gb
    I switched my audio, sata, and remaining usb to msi mode. Windows failed to start and begin startup repair. I restarted to computer and ended up at a black screen. Motherboard posts. Windows only gets as far as a blinking underscore which blinks once or twice then blinks once or twice on the next line down. Screen just stays black. Spamming f8 or holding f8 before or after motherboard posts results in the same thing. A few blinks then a black screen. I tried switching from AHCI to IDE mode to no avail.

Is there anything I can do?

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    wtf would you change the sata controller.

use last known good configuration.

14. ELKR

ELKR Guest

GPU:
    1080ti 11gb
    I don't have that option. I have tried spamming or holding F8 before and after post. The screen is just black.

edit: the OP switched sata to MSI

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    https://rivernetcomputers.com/5-ways-windows-10-boot-options-menu/
    If you manage to start in safe mode then you can try to turn off MSI mode for SATA controller.

16. ELKR

ELKR Guest

GPU:
    1080ti 11gb
    I pressed random keys on my keyboard and for some reason that brought system recovery options up. There is no system restore point. I have access to command promt. Startup repair tries to repair disk errors but says it can take over an hour to complete.

17. ELKR

ELKR Guest

GPU:
    1080ti 11gb
    I'm on windows 7 and only have access to command prompt. This command will make windows launch in safe mode.
    bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network
    The problem is that system recovery's command prompt is in the X drive which I assume is a temporary thing. I can't change directory to the C drive as access is denied. Wonder if I can somehow log into my windows account from here to get around it....

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Then you just need to tap F8 when computer is starting - menu will appear. There you can select "last known good configuration".

[​IMG]

PS And that step is described in OP in red bold letters.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the windows 7 MSAHCI driver is not capable of MSI's, and the F8 menu for 7 does have "last good config"

20. ELKR

ELKR Guest

GPU:
    1080ti 11gb
    I don't know why my other account was able to change directories to the C drive as they are both administrators. I was able to use the bcdedit to set start in safeboot mode. I was only able to launch in safe mode using IDE until I removed the registry entry that set sata controller to MSI mode.

F8 did not bring up any menu at all. It normally brings up boot menu for safe mode and last known good config but instead the screen would stay black until I hit enter which brought up the startup recovery.

Anyways I got my pc working again. Thanks for the help