The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I know that feeling, man. There's nothing worse than spending so much money on this card and then realizing that my card can't get anywhere near the results being posted online. The card was performing fine, though. I could play everything at 4K, so that wasn't an issue. But enthusiasts like us, we like to push things. I'm extremely happy with my card now, which is great, coz I'm going to have it for a while.

Which card do you have? Mine isn't a particularly popular card, but it's compatible at least. I think it's compatible with all of the reference cards.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Glad to hear that you know how I feel :)

I play at 3440x1440@95Hz so for this card it's not too demanding but the other day I ran the Anno 1800 demo at max settings and it dragged my card to its knees with boost clocks falling below 1900 (non-OC).

It's an MSI 2080Ti Gaming Trio (non-X) so I don't think it's reference since the card is huge.

3. BananaRepublik

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    Ah yeah, that's a custom board AFAIK. I originally ordered the MSI, but with all the availability issues at launch, I had to take what I could get and the Galax was the only card available here.

I'll be sticking to reference card from now on, because the way this cooler is designed, when a new card comes out, you would simply need to apply new thermal pads and a new back plate that matches the new card. The main heat sink and pump only uses 2 screws to the pcb, the rest are screwed in from the back plate.

4. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    It is loud, no question, but not too loud for me, and I play with closed headphones so it does not matter really. And I play in my office room, with door closed, because I talk loud and curse a lot when chatting while playing with friends, so that my lovely wife doesn't come knocking on the door lol :D

I could buy some water-isch kinda solution for my card as well, but it's not worth it in the end for me. Boost performance should be minimal at best, 5-10% maybe... at 4k, between 3-6 fps more at best, I'm just saying, maybe I'm wrong. I guess the best advantage for me at least, to put a GPU under water is that you get a much quieter card while running better/stable slightly higher clocks?

I did won the lottery with my card though. My Palit gaming oc card is boosting really high, right out of the box, so no complaints here.

I saw that the Eiswolf 240 costs some 180 euros here in Germany, so not sure if the price/performance is worth it for me, as I do not care about the noise.

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    ah yes, my illiteracy and lack of understanding seemed to come second to enthusiasts such as yourselves ESP or insiders prowess when it came to nvidia making its "standout" feature which constituted renaming the entire line, available on old cards with the old moniker.

yea, considering the fallout regarding pricing as it were - i didnt see that one coming.

to each their own, for me - it was a hella unworth/pricey upgrade as it were - worth even less now. But im just an ignorant non enthusiast.

though, on a lighter note - if one were being objective. Of course raytracing on older cards is very much not worth using, enabled or not.

I'm just surprised. Nvidia throwing a lot of curveballs lately. Even with freesync etc. Times they are a changin i suppose.

6. BananaRepublik

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    Does anyone know if it's safe to push these cards beyond 1.068V? I have a 380W power limit, since it's a Galax card. I can reach 1.093V, I'm just not sure if it's safe to do so.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I'm running on GTX1080's 1.093v and no issues when I bought them, on GTX1080Ti there I'm running 1.068-1.07v which is enough for 2113MHz and on RTX 2080Ti running 1.05v I think as more voltage just increases temperatures a bit in my case and clocks at 1.093v are in 2100-2115MHz as max and with 1.05v clocks are 2085MHz and using only 1.093v profile for benchmarks and some testing that's with Galax 380W BIOS

If its safe to run beyond 1.068v, there is lots of conflicting messages around this, in GN video they recommend stay at 1.068v and going with higher voltages can result in shorter lifespan, how shorter lifespan hard to say or guess on this, Kingpin and other said there is no easy answer on this, if its unsafe to run beyond 1.068v then we wouldn't or couldn't go beyond that in MSI Afterburner or EVGA own SW, due this I'm not sure on this

I have not seen game where I'm limited by voltages or power limit and due this I run GPU at 1.05v

@fantaskarsef

I have now tested few RTX 2080Ti with few different waterblocks, only Aquacomputer and Heatkiller I didn't tested, but Aquacomputer have ordered with active backplate

With normal loop and 1*360mm radiator and 1*240mm 60mm thick radiator I have tried like my RTX 2080Ti with EK Vector, Palit RTX 2080Ti with Bykski and Palit RTX 2080Ti with Phanteks Glacier WB

With my Zotac RTX 2080Ti and EK Vector I have seen on this loop these temperatures, idle in 18-21°C and load in 38-40°C, Palit RTX 2080Ti with Bykski WB temperatures have been in low 40's during the gaming, highest temperatures I have seen 40-43°C, Palit RTX 2080Ti with Phanteks Glacier WB temperatures have been 39-42°C

All Palit RTX 2080Ti have run 2055-2085MHz as max and +800MHz on VRAM, with stock clocks not sure what temperatures would be but I would expect something same or similar temperatures

I think @chispy over here is running too his RTX 2080Ti under water

@Netherwind

I would have look on EK MLC Phoenix kit which in previous generation come with prefilled WBs and EK do makes WB for yours card

If this fails then going with good watercooling loop is onky option how to get temperatures down

Shame EVGA Hybrid doesn't fit yours GPU, it would be definitely a better option than stock cooler in many cases

Building own loop can be expensive but with right parts can be lot cheaper than you think

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. BananaRepublik

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    Thank you! I've also seen a lot of conflicting messages online, so I've decided to just stick to 1.068V as the max. My card is way more hungry for volts than yours lol! My latest attempt has the card at 2070 mhz at 1.068V at 55 C during stress testing, which I'm actually very happy with, considering I could only get 1920 mhz at 84 C and 100% fans with the stock cooler. That's an extra 150 mhz, so I'm really not complaining.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Since when can you change the voltage to your liking? :eek:

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. BananaRepublik

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    What do you mean? People do it all the time.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I guess I'm uninformed then :)

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It has been there all the time my friend :D , you just need to use the curve in msi AB , but is not as simple as it looks :/ because higher voltage means higher temps and higher power draw and if you hit one of those limits the vga it's going to downclock :( to adjust. Max i can run is 1.071V while running benchmarks on water chiller at -21c but i would hit the power draw limit at 2220Mhz core with the Galax 380w bios and if i overclocked the core to 2235Mhz it would downclock to 2000Mhz with lower scores in the benchmarks. So in other words very high voltages are useless , unless you are running on very high end water or with a water chiller and still you will have to mod the card to remove all the power draw limits.

Right now i'm running 2115Mhz core with only 1.050v but with full cover Phantek Glacier water block , temps full load around ~42c to max 45c depending on the ambient temps. @jura11 have more inside on this since he have had many 2080Tis to test :) .

jura11, XenthorX and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You and I should group up for some basics recapping... I have not yet edited a voltage curve as well. So when's sunday PCMR school starting at your's? :D

chispy, XenthorX and Netherwind like this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    That's some really nice performance you got there buddy !

chispy likes this.
  15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nobody: ....

KINGPiN 2080ti :

[​IMG]

Netherwind and jura11 like this.

16. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    43°C freaking degrees, jeez. On idle/air my card is at 36°c for 1300Mhz core

17. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    Inno3D GeForce RTX 2080 Ti iChill Black has anyone had experience with this card or the company ? They on special in AUS for $1700 AUD about $1189 USD just wondering what they are like, cannot find much on it just one review.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @kx11 - Those temps...and clocks...gah! In my case it would look like 1950MHz and 71 degrees. Feels like a totally different card.
    @Driller_au - I wanted to buy it due to the water cooling and tried finding some reviews which wasn't easy since it doesn't seem to be a popular card. What little I did find though was that the card cools really well (better than MSI SeaHawkX).

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  20. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Just received Aquacomputer Kryographics RTX 2080Ti WB with active backplate and looks awesome, will be doing few tests later this week

Probably will be testing this on my Zotac RTX 2080Ti AMP with Galax 380W BIOS, will see how it performs against my EK Vector RTX 2080Ti WB

I thought so using this block and GPU on my loop but already friend bought it from me and for myself I have got Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix OC version which have Samsung VRAM modules and WB this is bit tricky, EK Vector is available which I don't want or like to use, will see

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

anxious_f0x, The1 and fantaskarsef like this.