AMD setup... is it worth the upgrade to an i5 3570K and Z77A-G45?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by DSparil, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Does not matter. It was a questionable deal at best. Maybe its better this way and yeah, start saving for Ryzen. ;)

2. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I appreciate your input, but I think most would disagree with you on that point. This MSI board still sells for over $100 alone. The questionable move would have been passing on it :cool:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Undying likes this.
  3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Well, despite the naysayers, I decided to go for it! I installed the MSI boared the the i5 3570K yesterday and ran some tests. Low and behold, I am seeing a 10-15+ FPS boost in most of the games I play! Quake Champions sees another 10+ FPS on average, and while my 8350 struggled with Underworld Ascendant, it now runs smooth as butter. General computer use does not seem any faster, but I'm already quite happy with the performance boost in games. And this is at stock clocks mind you! I am going to put a better cooler on it and bump it up to 4ghz or so, which should yield a little performance increase. Also, I'm not sure what my friend was doing, but I was able to get my memory to run at 1866 with no issue whatsoever. He may have been running slower RAM and trying to overclock. He wasn't specific.

I appreciate all of the advice out there, but after thinking it over, it became clear that the i5 would perform better in the games I play most. If I find an i7 3770K on the cheap sometime, I'll probably pop that in, but at this stage I'm more than happy to ride this out for another couple of years until I build a new Ryzen system.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Lucifer and Undying like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would like to see the performance difference in newer games needing more threads. Division 2, AC Odyssey, Anthem, BF5 would perform better on the FX.

Im glad your happy and you didnt listen to me (hehe). All in all it ends up with games you are playing.

DSparil likes this.

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I got in late here, but glad to see it worked out! I did the same thing recently for my kitchen PC that just gets used by visitors for mid range gaming and emulation. I had an FX-6300@4.2GHz for years, then decided to get a nice Z77+i5 2500k+16GB Corsair 1866MHz RAM for $100.

Gotta say, even at stock it is much snappier and responsive than the AMD system. Same GPU and drives, just replaced the main 3 components. Everything runs better, especially after I was able to get an easy 4.4GHz using 1.2v under a Be Quiet LP cooler. While my main system will likely move to Zen 2 at some point, I'm keeping an eye out for 2600k/2700k/3770k to drop in the kitchen system when the price is right.

airbud7 and DSparil like this.
  6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol, well I definitely took all advice into consideration. I play very few new games though, with the newest two being Dragon Quest XI and Underworld Ascendant. I may pick up MK11, but generally wait for newer games to go on sale before I pick them up :)

Ok, glad to see I'm not the only one lol. I was surprised to see how much better it performs in some of the games that I play. I mean the FX wasn't slow by any means, but this definitely seems to top it, even at 3.6ghz. I'm going to put a Scythe Ashura on it, and am looking forward to seeing how it performs with a nice OC. The chip should have a good amount off life left on it, as my buddy claims they never messed with the voltage and just left that on auto.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  7. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    Does this mean ya wanna sell your 8350? If so PM me I'd like to upgrade my home theater PC CPU.

DSparil likes this.
  8. M300

M300 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    You seem to be holding onto a false status quo.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

DSparil likes this.
  10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's sidegrade not upgrade... your AMD is working fine, then keep it this way, intel wouldn't give you anything ( more or less )

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Dropped the i5 in weeks ago and have seen a 10+ FPS boost in the games I play most :) Then again, I play very few brand new games and most of what I play is right in the i5's wheelhouse.