Next gen Playstation to get 8-core Zen2, Navi and 8K Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2019.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=369,431,404&sort=price&page=1

Considering the RX590 is just about 10% on average slower while being about $100 less, I would say in this point in time the 1070 is not the best deal considering Pascal is not getting hardly anymore driver optimizations. If you do want closer to 1070 performance, there is always the Vega 56 for $300 right now.

But this is not considering other options that I would say are better value than the Vega 56, such as the 2060 and the 1660Ti.

airbud7 and Undying like this.
  2. slicer

slicer Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    This didn't go directly to You, but all others who are very salty towards AMD.

Define bad?
    I play at 1440p resolution and Vega64 with undervolt and overclock, I get very decent performance. While card using 240-280w of power, depends on a scene.
    Most AAA games I play are getting 100+ fps. Should be plenty for everyone to really not notice a difference.
    I bought the card second hand 5 months ago ~300 euros. Plenty of oomph. Right now they are selling at 220-250 euros in local forum.
    But I would not buy Vega VII for 700 euros, nor I would buy RTX2080 for same price. There are plenty of used GTX1080Ti's for 450 euros.
    I have no doubt that new Zen3 will be amazing and 1:1 in games with Intel. Definetly buying it, just to support a competitor so we could have better products in the future from both companies.

I always buy bang for my buck. This happens to be AMD from CPU side right now and AMD on used card market. With 250 euros, You cant go wrong with Vega64 :D
    I dont mind the powerdraw why I have a platinum rated 1000w PSU anyway then, if I dont use it properly :D
    Altough when undervolted, Vega64's powerdraw is very competitive.

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Fair enough, but my point was that NVidia cards have power overheads available that generally aren't available to AMD cards, as in AMD cards are often running at the upper end of what is possible in terms of TDP/cooling/noise - so AMD owners optimise their cards by undervolting at the current power levels, whilst NVidia owners increase their power limits AND in addition optimise their voltage frequency points by overclocking - the latter option provides the most performance uplift & still the NVidia cards suck less power, make less noise & perform better than their AMD couterparts. This is what I meant by voltage frequency optimisation in the better direction. NVidia cards in recent history have just been better designed & engineered than AMD cards, hence their comparitive success.

vbetts likes this.
  4. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    I don't know why you think you're making a point by posting the prices of a discontinued card and comparing them to a newly released part. Of course the 1070 is not a good GPU to buy anymore. Nvidia has a new line of GPU's out that are cheaper and faster than the 590.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Only 8K upscaling support. Maybe a separate upscaler chip will be used.

6. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That was the original argument, that's why. But I also mentioned the 1660ti being a better deal overall.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I thought this thread was about the PS5? Ok then.

Anyway, like others have said, backwards compatibility is a big thing for me. I haven't owned a tv-console since the Dreamcast, but, the ability to play PS4 games on PS5 is enticing. On the other-hand, my boys are only 8 and 5, which means I don't think they're ready for such a console (but will be during PS5 life-time).

The 2 products I'm really waiting on is the Switch Pro (Nvidia) and the GPD Win 2 Max (rumoured to be AMD soc this time).

8. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    No it wasn't. Old performance tiers were being compared, and then you decided to throw price/perf into the discussion for some unknown reason. Comparing discontinued GPU's at current prices no less. i mean wtf?.

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Sony has already played around with checkerboard rendering for the PS4 Pro so IMO it's expected their next-gen games will build upon that for targeting 4k and higher. The early games will probably be able to brute force 4k, whereas the late-gen games will resort to upscaling.

Maddness and Stormyandcold like this.
  10. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, and it isn't actually "ray tracing"...it's pre-programmed rasterizing code in the game which attempts to mimic what something being rendered might look like if it was actually ray-traced (because 3d GPUs are not ray-tracers at all, but rasterizers.) It's a gimmick, and a complex and very time-consuming gimmick for the game dev to employ. This "ray-tracing" marketing frenzy reminds me of how the stereoscopy fad was often called "3d"...when actual 3d (simulated in 2d, of course) is something that originated with the Voodoo1/2 from 3dfx--at least, that was the first iteration of a 3d GPU playable at a decent 20 -30 fps at the time.

Don't forget that all modern console technology is derived from x86 PC R&D, though. Both the xbox and the playstation are now x86 PC's by AMD. Consoles are not only derived from PC tech, they often employ the lower-end-towards-the-value-segment of PC tech. Not to mention that several AAA titles of the last few years were first developed for the PC, then later ported to various consoles.

If anyone's GPU was actually ray tracing, you'd have a point...;) But nVidia GPUs are just rasterizers--not ray-tracers--they can't do *anything* aside from rasterize. Their so-called ray tracing is not ray tracing at all, but simulated ray-tracing effects via the GPU, from pre-programmed code written into the game engine by the developer. Basically, they are telling you "this is what X would look like if ray-traced" but unfortunately for you, but fortunately for nVidia, there is no actual ray-traced version of the object/scene to compare it to...;) As it is, you no doubt know that D3d now supports this imitation of "ray tracing," and that anyone's GPU can do the same. Gawd, sometimes I really loathe marketing.

Amen...that's marketing, again...;)

You are a bit late to the party, as the current consoles being sold by Microsoft and Sony are indeed x86 PCs by AMD. It's been that way for awhile and won't change. I've been on multicore x86 PCs for years--0 problems to report. You seem to be fighting the inexorable technological trends--it's a losing battle.

Yes, precisely. You can bet that when AMD releases it they'll explain exactly what it is, and what they are doing--won't be claiming to actually be "ray tracing" on a rasterizer...;)

12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    With AMD cards you don't need to underclock, you undervolt and overclock. This is a problem with GCN taking a lot of power, which is why AMD desperately needs to get off GCN. In this case I will say, if you want a card that you do not have to do any type of tweaking Nvidia definitely is the way to go.

Also can we watch the double posting? You can just edit your post...

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's it, we need 8K monitors ASAP. Can't have PCMR gaming at a lower resolution than console gamers. Also, tell AMD and Nvidia to get off their keister and produce an 8K-capable graphics card!

Have you never played a game at 4K? Even on a relatively small 27" monitor, I can see a sizable difference in image quality (I can see detail that I never noticed on my 1440p or 1080p monitor). The jump from 1080p to 2160p is enormous, and and same will go for a 4320p resolution.

In five years from now, 1440p will be considered low, 2160p mainstream, and 4320p high. Display standards will continue to go up.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Steve from gamers nexus said the same thing in his Vega56 video. AMD is hell of a fun to tweak and nvidia is not.

vbetts likes this.
  15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AMD and Nvidia overclock pretty much the same on average. But it's more than just clocking it, doing voltage controls, memory timings, third party cooling and card accessories, if you love tweaking Vega and Polaris have been the platform of choice. Not everyone likes to do that though, which is fair. My 2070, I just let OC scanner do its thing. My 2700x, I let PBR2 do the boost clocks for me, typically that's smarter than a manual overclock anyway. I have an RX 480 that I mess around with as well, put an Accelero Twin Turbo 3 on it, unlocked the voltage using Der8auers bios mod, and currently running stable at 1430/2200 on the core and memory. It's fun to see how far I can push it considering not only is that a 200mhz gain on the core and 500mhz gain on the memory, that's going into RX 590 territory on an original Polaris card. Heavy overclocks and power mods are easy on AMD, and can show some real benefits( Of course doing anything super high you might kill the card lol)

But again, AMD does not advertise their products. This has been a trend even in ATI, and we had products from AMD/ATI that were more than competitive. And that is a serious issue. Performance is not hit or miss, and while this is community is just a small fragment of the PC community overall if you take just this community you will see that there are a number of people happy with their AMD cards. Heck I miss my Vega 64 even, the Red Devil cooler looked awesome, and performed awesome as well and was very fun to do manual tweaking to. Being hot or power hungry is not any problem unless building a sff rig which is not the norm. AMD cards stay within operating limits on heat, power draw is not an issue with power saving features while the card is not in use as well as Radeon Chill. But the 1660 and the 1660ti should be the better performers compared to AMD's mid range, they are a new generation of cards. AMD does not have any new generation mid range out.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    3D GPUs are not raytracers? What the hell is a "raytracer"?.. Raytracing is just a product of vector math - which is exactly what a GPU does. Almost every single production-level raytracer runs on GPUs - Arnold, Pixerman, Mentalray, Vray, etc they all have GPU variants or run on a mix of GPUs/CPUs.

AMD has a bunch of "raytrace" GPU Open libraries that work on their hardware and call them raytracing. RadeonRays for example. They call them raytracing because it's raytracing - it's literally simulating photons of light and tracing their path through a 3D scene...which is exactly what OptiX does, exactly what Arnold does, exactly what DXR/RTX does.

Edit:

It took me like 5 minutes to even process how ridiculous this statement is.. is this what Nvidia is doing? Trying to make rasterization so real it looks like raytracing? No one else is trying that? The entire industry hasn't been trying that for four decades? like what..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Maddness and Richard Nutman like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Some of us live in places where the power consumption savings alone would be worth the $100 extra.

[​IMG]

And undervolting is not a validated answer to this problem

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That can also be said about cpus and people still buy power hungry Intel cpus. 100$ extra a year? Thats insignificant.

19. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    8K and RTX ?? LMAO ! Sure !!! It won't even do 4K with RTX.... Let just say 1080p with RTX UPSCALED to 4K / 8K...

It make's me laugh when I see concole peasant saying their PS3 is displaying their games in 1080p (which is 720p upscaled to 1080p) or their PS4 games in 4K (which is 1080p upscaled to 4K for 95% of the games)

P.S.: same for Xbox 360 / Xbox One

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that extra $100 could cover a childs medicine expenses, be put away for a trip every coupe years or go to upgrading the machine for storage or dram.