Next gen Playstation to get 8-core Zen2, Navi and 8K Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Mainly I'm looking forward to backward compatibility features. Other than this, I'm sure it will be a fantastic console.

rl66 likes this.
  3. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Excited to see a CPU like that in it. I feel like games haven't pushed CPU performance for such a long time due to consoles having a huge CPU bottleneck.

Richard Nutman likes this.
  4. clamatac

clamatac Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    8K and ray tracing xDDDD

sure

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Hopefully with the launch of this console and the new X Box we will see game devs start to push the envelope when it comes to more graphics features

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Maybe a SMALL number of games will have raytracing. But it's enough for building hype. Hope that this will bring some cash to AMD.

7. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    I honestly don't see the point of ray tracing. It's just a gimmick at best, adds almost no value to gameplay.

They should have focused on proper destructible environments. That's what I would consider amazing.

TalentX likes this.
  8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Ray Tracing is the future in terms of graphics, the same goes for physical aspects of engines. Those two things go hand in hand.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Didn't Playstation 4 / XB1 already have eight cores in their CPUs? I thought they were already highly cored just... didn't make much use of it.
    Also, what ray tracing? If it's AMD's raytracing (which is not really dx12's DXR), I'll be curious to see how they handle it on the PC.
    Generally, as I've said my farewell to consoles years ago, I hope they open up more breath for making use of what's in PCs for years already.

10. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    How ca anyone say this ?
    Yes the curent graphic cards are bad for ray tracing.
    BUT ray tracing done right is crazy, you will need a monster config to run it, but still is incredible.
    Look at ray tracing in movies.
    I agree that the hardware for end users is not there yet, but the technology is crazy.

As for PS 5, i just hope we will have good fps using ray tracing at 4k, i don't think it will work on 8k.
    But the most important fact from what Mark Cerny say'd for me is backward compatibility features for games and PSVR.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    That is software engined related problem and does not look like you need special hardware for that.a
    Am i wrong?

12. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Does not have to have raytracing at all, good fps at 1080+ or 1440 scaled up to 4k would be good enough.
    I do not see it hitting 60fps in 4k on the newer titles since to do that on pc we see what hardware we need.

13. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    You are not wrong, but to me the problem is like this, either make a monster CPU that can handle all, or like NVIDIA did make dedicated hardware for specific tasks (eg. Nvidia 2xxx).

14. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    I agree, ray tracing can be OK, but look at the visuals right now, or rather the physical interaction in games. Shoot a tree and nothing happens. Fire a canon at a wall, it either turns from a house in one frame to rubble in the next frame with zero transition. Or you see some color change.It's just so fake looking.

I believe these things should be attended to first before touching on ray tracing.

It's like applying icing to a cake batter. (without baking it first if you know what I mean)

HonoredShadow, Keitosha and TalentX like this.
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not true.

Raytracing for level/map/character 'baking' pre-runtime is where the action will be, @ runtime, you will have rays being calculated by using the AO and a denoiser, so blocky/speckled becomes smoother than a puma.

16. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    More of the same, just more powerful IMHO.

The gaming industry, with the Nintendo exception, lacks novelty. No new games concepts appeared. VR and AR are here to help, I hope, to find something more just shooting avatars.

Tetris is still the best game ever !!

Clawedge likes this.
  17. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    But!!! ray tracing IS a big part of the future...automatically generated realistic shadows, reflections, lighting, etc etc will allow us to take a quantum leap down that path of 'realistic graphics'. Graphic artists/coders will only need to spend a fraction of resources/time on these effects thus freeing them up the other pieces of the 'realistic' puzzle e.g. properly destructible environments. Ray tracing is not limited to graphics...how about accurate/realistic 3D sound projection?

Maddness likes this.
  18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    The good thing about raytracing being introduced on console is that it will hopefully lead to game devs heavily optimizing it for weaker hardware.
    Requiring a 2080ti atm to get mediocre performance at best right now is really killing raytracing adoption.

19. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mostly like the backwards compatibility that this console will have, i hope ps4 titles will get good support on the ps5 and games that aren't locked at 30fps can run a native 60fps, and those with adaptive resolutions can run higher, that personally would be a nice feature. just have to see how the ps5 runs the games, hopefully run natively rather than a form of emulation #

Beyond that yeah ray tracing might be nice, but more excited about having an SSD inside the machine for good boot times

20. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    It's gonna be near impossible to get this day1 isn't it?

[​IMG]