Ryzen Zen 2 Procs Incompatible With some Older 300-Series due to BIOS limitation?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Haha AMD really are catching up with Intel

Had to happen eventually, they weren't going to keep trying to make modern cpus compatible with old chipsets

typhon6657 and chispy like this.
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Checking Bios updates for other manufacturers shows only Asus , ASRock and Biostar have released new Bios updates to the latest Agesa 0.0.7.2 code that was recently released just a few weeks ago , let us wait and watch closely what's happening on this transition to Ryzen 3xxx cpus. i will poke a little at my contacts in the industry to see if i can get a straight answer ( no promises as i imagine there is already an nda signed by them ) , but i will try it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    jura11, airbud7, Embra and 1 other person like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X

The motherboard is the single most important component in your PC setup.

Your argument only has credence if I were to buy say for example.
    a ryzen 3 cpu (cheap board excused) A350 chipsets
    a Ryzen 5 (med tier boards ) B350 chipsets
    a Ryzen 7 (top tier boards) x370 Chipsets

I have the Ryzen 7 2700X a cheap A350 or even a mid tier B350 would be silly IMO

I paid extra for extra, I have the only board to have dual m.2 nvme slots on the x370 lineup
    also VRM's that have a huge overhead that would help launch the next NASA launch (exaggerated)
    SLI capabilities,
    different board layout of the Memory traces (closer to CPU) I think its called Asus T topology
    RGB Bling Blinged out of its mind
    2x2 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth v4.2 module
    Expandable add in card for 3 extra PWN fan headers with 3 separate temperature probes included (can configure in BIOS to what temp to monitor)
    Extended ATX Form Factor which allows for cooler componets PCH especially
    Built in water cooling headers for Wflow in/out and w/temp for future builds
    8 x Radiator Fan Headers PWM
    Native DDR4-3200 support (DOCP)

There is gaming on a Disney MB (cheapo) and then there is gaming on a 300 spartan war cry board (mine)

besides to assume I only game is foolish.

Would you not like to have this setup?

[​IMG]

Aura89 and TalentX like this.
  4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Totally agree. Just unfortunate for the early adopters that is for sure. I do remember reading of the issue regarding VRM power delivery effecting some boards.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I saw a mention on the AMD reddit on how it was a response from MSI support and not a official confirmation as such, guessing other motherboards and their bios features could be compatible depending on wherever the problem lies assuming the issue with MSI is something they can't patch.
    (Or if it's outright incorrect since support might not have the full info yet.)

EDIT: There's that discussion again.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bdfsd7/msi_wont_support_ryzen_3000_on_any_b350x370_boards/

6. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    @DW75 Agreed. I just checked my MSI B350M Gaming Pro board and that has (the seemingly standard) 128Mb or 16MB BIOS chip. So this is an MSI issue, hopefully they'll pull their finger out because if they don't they'll lose a few sales from me in future (I'm a system builder and I tend to use MSI boards in low to mid range PCs)

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Can't stand MSI personally. Ever since i bought a mobo back in the day and the CPU compatibility list was wrong from THEM!.!.! So needless to say i lost some money and choose to not do business with MSI from here on out.

8. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    So i can upgrade my ryzen 2700x to ryzen 2 on my x470 taichi, that's good to know :D

9. sunn

sunn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Is it a chip size limitation? or just speculation? also the AGESA 0.0.7.2 update, on the change-logs that note the change says adds a Athlon APU, nothing on Ryzen 3000...

Another thing, not all 400 series boards have 256Mb / 32MB chips, ie Asrock B450M Pro4 (has a 0.0.7.2 BIOS), Asus PRIME B450-PLUS (has a 0.0.7.0 BIOS), Gigabyte DS3H (also has a 0.0.7.2 BIOS) and Gigabyte used 16MB on their X470 boards too... (none of those have been updated past 1.0.0.6)

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    So.... MSI represents the entire AM4 motherboard industry?

I would take this Forbes article with a grain of salt. Even my crappy Biostar X370 board has a BIOS update ready for Zen 2 (or so it seems to suggest). I think it's been well-established at this point that the A320 and B350 boards don't/won't have support, but many X370 already do.

EDIT:
    From what I heard, the AGESA 0.0.7.2 update is supposed to have Zen 2 support. Many X370 boards already have this.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

11. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I had a very significant list of issues with my 1600X and an MSI X370 Gaming Plus. Ram NEVER worked quite right and their BIOS releases always broke more than they fixed. Then a few months ago the board just up and died while plugging in a USB stick. Replaced it with an ASRock B450m Pro4 and I actually can't be happier for the price I paid.

Killian38 likes this.
  12. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    Well, yeah, I guess I would :D

Though it's a measure of budget in the end.

13. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    I wrote to asrock about this matter, maybe they will never respond, maybe they will.
    Worth a try:)

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You didn't read the thread, did you.

craycray likes this.
  15. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Well... Hopefully this is just another MSI oopsie. I do like a lot my Asus x370-F Strix, but as far as it's specs go, it's a 16MB chip, which in theory shouldn't have enough space either.

I'll definitely wait until Asus and the other major companies say anything about this, but if it's just one or two companies doing this sort of thing (not adding compatibility to 3000 series to x370 motherboards) my next build will most definitely NOT be theirs. If it's spreadout and everything does that, then hell, AMD will hear a LOT. Sure, they will still sell lots of 3000 chips, but that energy/momentum will diminish a little bit as I do feel that's a step in the wrong direction when they compromised on supporting the AM4 socket until 2020. Yeah, socket isn't the same as chipset but you get the drill, what's the point of having AM4 socket still the same but not having chipset compatibility with them?

edit:
    Yeah, hope to hear from other manufacturers aswell, I do hope it's just MSI doing that, or hopefully some sort of workaround can be supplied, like cutting support for older/not so commom CPU's/APU's, or support 1st gen and 3rd, or 2nd and 3rd, something like that.

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Stop spreading these XXit please until it is true for all manufacturers. Anyway, the AM4 socket is present in Zen2, so what lie you are talking about?

Same.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Something else worth pointing out:
    I'm sure the 500 series chipset will be backward-compatible with all previous AM4 models. So, even if some 300 series boards aren't Zen2 compatible, AMD still didn't totally lie about breaking compatibility.

18. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    So that is how you have 3k posts? Not reading the threads, but inciting rumours that have no factual bounds. If you read, ASUS has even cheap B350 boards which will continue to support. It is just that MSI is having trouble on their boards. If it was both ASUS and MSI problem, it would be AMD problem, but since it is just MSI facing this challenge, it is....... an MSI problem.... ding ding ding, you have hit a jackpot.

Comprende?

19. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Very old news now, Mobo OEM's have came up with work around but it's a pain the arse for them and maybe confusing for some customers to use, which they have two BIOS revisions one to support Ryzen 1000 and 3000 CPU's and another that supports Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPU's. Not ideal but it's a work around although most people like me will use use their X370 mobo as a stop gap before getting the X570, as you know the X500 will have new features and of course PCIE4.0. It does mean i can use my X370 with the New CPU and then can take my time and research/check reviews on getting the best X570 motherboard. Or some might use tie it over get this CPU live with what you got then wait for the next mobo and Ryzen which will have DDR5. I personally won't because like DDR, 1, 2, 3 and 4 when they bring new memory out they are expensive as hell, hard to get hold of, have no real benefits over the last gen and have horrific latencies.

chispy and waltc3 like this.
  20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Doesn't bother me as I will upgrade to x570 when the 3000 series are released--had already planned that. But as of this moment, this seems to be an MSI-only issue, if indeed this isn't just more Internet rumor. But I do note that although the MSI 470 equivalent of my x370 MSI mboard has received a bios update for the 3000 series already, my x370 mboard has not. Something seems a bit fishy, though as the size of the 3000 x470 bios file is 11.17mbs and the size of the last x370 bios file is 10.72mbs--that's compressed, of course, but it will be interesting to see if AMD has changed the physical size required to store the bios on the mboard, beginning with the x470 chipset. Sure doesn't seem likely, and I've not heard this from any other motherboard OEM.

chispy likes this.