Review: Anno 1800: Open Beta PC graphics performance benchmark analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nvidia domination in this game. Good thing i dont play Anno.

Strange Times likes this.
  3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    But GTX970 faster then RX580, oww dear :)

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    doesn't surprise me that nvidia's command list capable drivers are ahead of amd's which aren't, this is one of those games where they'd be used.

Strange Times likes this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats very rare. In Division 2, Anthem, DmC5, RE2 580/590 are almost fast as 1660.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I have no doubt that it is a driver issue of some sort. We'll update once AMD releases its driver.

7. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    and please test dx12 in 2c/4t or 4c/4t modes
    i9 too much

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I would say one should have atleast 4c8t cpu for gaming this days. Its alot of spent time testing the 2c4t or 4c4t no should use anymore.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    BuildeR2 likes this.
  10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    another dx12 flop..... I wonder why....(literally argued with people of DX12 for months here)

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I've always wanted to try an Anno game, but wasn't very interested in the future setting of the last two. Now that they are back to a historical setting I may have to make this my first of the series.

12. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I tried this game which is my first Anno game ever, but I didn't like it. It is just balancing resources, like if you have too many lumberyards, then you need more sawmills, simple as that. Your city gets larger and if you screw up the chaining of your economy, there is no real penalty. This is a very chill game that is not punishing at all. Just chill and try to make an economy that flows smoothly.

Bluebyte is not the same anymore. I have read that The Settlers 1 had a certain lead designer who left the studio after finishing the game. He came back only to make The Settlers 3, which is also great, and then he left again. Anno 1800 distantly reminds me of The Settlers series for the economy part, because you have to think where to plant your buildings and how you connect them by roads, but other than that it is missing all the glory. They now only focus on the economy, there is no decent battle, no good music, no personality, nothing.

A major benefiting factor would be if the map itself was open ended and free to roam, but no, it is just fields of predetermined resources that you can collect whenever you want. There is no guessing or surprises, you can plan everything perfectly. There is no visual appeal either, even though the engine itself is great, all you see are just little people wobbling around your city, there is zero reason to zoom in and see what stuff is going on. The voice acting is also painfully emotionless, just generic lines here and there without anything meaningful to say.

This game ran very slow in the open beta. With GTX 1070 do not even consider max settings, you have to drop down several settings to get 60 FPS and even then when you view a large city from distance FPS is going to tank.

13. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I honestly didn’t think a unoptimized driver will take that big of a performance hit for AMD. Hopefully they bring out a driver soon. Nvidia really shines in this title and their drivers look well optimized. Even for older generations like GTX9XX

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Review of the game. Looks well polished. Cant say I've been into city/empire building games much, but enjoyed AOE, RON and Cities Skylines. May give it a go.

15. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Far from being optimized, i mean i got an equal rig as used in the Review (9900k, 2080, 32gb ram). Running @ 1080p and my Fps are going up and down.

16. entr0cks

entr0cks Member Guru

GPU:
    GV-N660OC-2GD
    Ran fine with rather low settings on i5-4570 + gtx660.
    Game itself seems an improvement.
    I like what they've done with building effect areas and farming. Many with no limit to distance and 1 square based, just have to be adjacent. More convenient to place and manage.
    Interesting combination of basic needs and happiness needs for the populous, both give coin bonuses. Basic determining how many people inhabit a building - all nicely "+3/7" described.
    Separate maps with ships going between old and new world.
    Newspaper and pollution/culture/savagery... etc is an interesting touch.
    Prefer it to Anno 1404. Think public beta didn't have all the content - missing land combat and highest population tier.

Anno is an odd game - addicting to grind and balance the whole thing, but at some point it kinda falls off for me - the late game + combat hasn't ever been as satisfying as I've wished... don't know how to improve that.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    :D

18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    no AMD driver update for this? well I guess that performance is fine for AMD cards then:p

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    none of the anno games perform too well at later stages, the last 2 also have unresolved memory leaks too.

20. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I would like to see how this game performs on a 2c/4t CPU as well as a 4c/4t CPU as they are still sold and relevant. Many people still game on lower budgets with AMD APU's or use them in media PC's that may run an occasional game.