MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That pretty cool feature for all the twin fan cards (20xx).I like the modern skin as not so much a fan of newer gamer style ones now (still like org V3).

Unwinder likes this.
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

We discussed async fan control internally prior to adding it to AB. Talking about my own preferences, I see whole async fan control idea as rather useless thing and nothing but pure marketing. I cannot imagine the situation when I’ll need to or when I actually will control the fans independently. The same applies to Hilbert. So we delayed the implementation as much as it was possible till the moment when I had some extra free time for development and absolutely zero other useful tasks in development queue. Anyway, it is a part of NVIDIA reference design now and some users just wanted to play with it, seeing like some competitors are using software async fan control as exclusive selling point, so now you can play with it in AB too.

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I agree with whatever fan profile, the cooling solution you need will not really need fan1@x and fan2@Y, but if I am not mistaken, the fan profile before only affected one fan?
    So one gets custom fan profile you set but the second fan runs off bios, at least that was my understanding, that could be wrong now.
    With my own MSI 970G I set bios fan profile and only tweaked one (really don't even need to now, but use it ) :)
    So now 20xx ref cards get to adjust both, but again maybe I am wrong with my understanding of this.

4. Unwinder

Nope, fan profile affected both fans before. All fans were linked and set to the same speed on reference design 20x0 cards in both manual and automatic software adjustment mode.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Oh, then I agree with you totally, didn't know it worked that way.
    Still AB has a lot of useful features in OSD display and graph.

6. Unwinder

The only possible case when I see it can be somehow useful is rare case of mechanical fan specifics and unwanted vibrations caused by fan speeds resonance. That’s when you actually might want to run them out of sync.

7. Unwinder

BTW, I'm not sure if you know that, but Chris aka Drerex also created A LOT of nice skins for legacy EVGA Precision X (for versions up to 4.2.1). Those skins became abandoned since the moment when EVGA decided to start developing Precision in-house, however I thought that those skins absolutely must be alive and should not die so we introduced skin cross-compatibility layer in MSI AB. So any of his past creations (or any other legacy EPX skins created by different community members) are still usable with MSI Afterburner. You can find archive of the previous skins created by Drerex here:

http://sdrv.ms/11dBFtS

EdKiefer and Andy_K like this.
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I do have a bunch of older skins you reworked when I was beta testing for you.
    BTW, the link says it is down "This link doesn't work anymore".I have been using org version3 until just lately when I moved to newer ones (I had a hard time reading the red max values in the graph). That new one in the vid looks nice and clean, I will probably try that one out.

9. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    I will like to have the skin for afterburner in your video.

10. Unwinder

It will be included in 4.6.1 beta 2 soon.

knuckles84 and OleMortenF like this.

11. OleMortenF

OleMortenF Member

GPU:
    980 SC 4GB
    Looking forward to the 4.6.1 beta 2, thanks for the great work Unwinder :D The skin by Drerex also looks awesome

12. Unwinder

Guys, couple posts ago I mentioned that MSI AB’s skin cross-compatibility layer supports absolutely all legacy EVGA Precision skins from the past, so those who admire Drerex work and feel nostalgic can also use the skins he created before.

During the first year of in-house EVGA Precision development I also provided cross-compatibility with native X15 and X16 skins (internally they were still using my own USF skin format with a bit of simple obfuscation so it was very easy to support it). However I stopped investing time in it after seeing that community do not feel too much enthusiasm to design anything for it. So at some stage X16 skins became incompatible with AB, XOC skins were never supported by cross-compatibility layer too. Drerex was probably the only person who tried to create a few custom skins for it, for example nice Fallout 4 themed skin:

https://www.facebook.com/drerexdesign/photos/a.286930541384487/943452279065640/?type=3&theater

However, X16 is now abandoned by EVGA, the same applies to XOC. So I decided to pay tribute to the past work done by Chris, I absolutely don’t want to see any of his skins overboard. So yesterday I invested some time and pumped up MSI AB skin cross-compatibility layer to support the latest skin versions of X16 and XOC. So with the next beta of 4.6.1 you’ll be able to use that X16 Fallout 4 skin by Chris too. Or alternately use any other X16/XOC skins, if you want to make MS AB look like X16 or XOC due to some weird reason. :D

13. Unwinder

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I think we can all say that using the EVGA skins feels a little ... weird - pretty cool though :)

15. Unwinder

Yup, feels weird with no doubts. Anyway, it is impossible to find a single GUI liked by absolutely everyone, so having more alternate GUI looks and more options for users is always a positive thing.

16. @Unwinder Why Afterburner 4.6.1 beta is not available on download section?

17. Unwinder

Because I don't want development beta to be available to all users (read it as search and RTFM haters). ;) There will be a public beta for everyone once we decide that it is ready for prime time.

18. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  19. Unwinder

I'm afraid I don't understand that :)

20. gran172

gran172 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2060 6Gb
    Dude, as somebody who has been trying to get this right for ages this is soooo useful to me, thanks a lot for the info, it works exactly as I've always wanted :)

toyo likes this.