AMD: Partner meeting on April 23 in preparation of Navi and Ryzen 3000 CPUs launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2019.

1. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Does anyone know if the new x570 mobo's will be backwards compatible with a Ryzen Threadripper 1950X? I am assuming this is a yes since x399 mobo's with a bios update can take the new Zen 2 chips so it only make sense that x570 should be able to work with 1st Gen TR's(well I hope so).

Basically I want the extra lanes and new tech from x570 and just want to swamp mobo's, anyone see any issues with this? Also yes, I know PCIe 4.0 does not work on TR1, that is not my reason for wanting x570 on day 1.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    X570? As in, for socket AM4? Because I'm not aware of that chipset being available for socket TR4, and AM4 isn't compatible with TR CPUs.

Fox2232 likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD has around 15% Clock headroom at this point. Then you have Zen2 IPC gain itself which is still unknown. Zen3 in pipeline, likely close to finish line.
    On top of that Their Central HUB + Core dies may prove to be supreme in terms of production cost, power efficiency, and maximizing performance of CPU. (And Yes, I mean CPU as they cherry pick dies to make best clockers or best power efficient CPUs in given core count.)

Intel gave shite IPC improvements, mostly from caches and faster IMC. Their clock gains were not important as that's not architectural benefit. So, intel has to make real work on their CPUs while AMD is in position to just slightly improve theirs to keep certain advantages they already have.
    And if AMD gains clock competitiveness, then AMD holds all the cards while intel is back to drawing board.

I definitely am not worried about AMD's CPUs as they can only become better.

chispy likes this.
  4. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    What ever is the next AM4 mobo after x399, the next tech replacement for Zen2 + PCIe 4.0 TR AM4 CPUs etc. I thought x570 is the next AM4 mobo since intel has x599? Maybe I totally messed up and it is for regular Ryzen. There has to be a new AM4 mobo right because of the PCIe 4.0 since my x399 mobo does not support that. A bios flash will not make my x399 mobo have PCIe 4.0, there is no way that will happen that I know of so there has to be a new AM4 mobo. Dude I am confused now LOL :)

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    AM4 doesn't go with X399 either...
    X#70, B#50, and A#20 are all AM4-only. X#99 is always TR4.
    X570 is for socket AM4 only. Socket AM4 doesn't have any Threadrippers (though, there is evidence we'll see 16c/32t AM4 models). As of right now, X470 is the newest chipset available for AM4.
    X399 is currently the only chipset for TR4 (Threadripper). I think there's supposed to be X499 but they aren't available yet, and at least according to rumors, that will support PCIe 4.0. X499 is what you want to wait for (or, if AMD releases their own X599 despite Intel's chipset, that's what you want).

As far as I'm concerned, your confusion is deliberate on part of both Intel and AMD (though I must say, AMD started it).

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Ahhhh right, thanks Man I feel like a total idiot now I completely forgot they announced the X499 last year all these God damn chipset model numbers are totally mental("confusion is deliberate on part of both Intel and AMD" they succeeded). I should of know better I have a Ryzen 1500x in one of my test boxes for my game dev I built on a Tomahawk mobo and the CPU is physically totally different than my 1950x TR build(main rig) LOL, I feel like such a noob now hahaha :) . Have no idea why I though TR socket was AM4 Jesus Christ LOL.

Anyways thanks Man, I am back on track and appreciate it.

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    You misspelled Renault.

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    traditional wisdom (and products to date) has ARM chips doing poorly against x86...but don't tell that to Apple and Qualcomm.
    and to be honest about an opinion, there may really be something to the 7nm product. not compared to an I-7/9, Ryzen 7/5 but compared to an I-5.
    i'm not asking any enthusiast to drop performance, but consider what all day battery and "good enough" performance to run productivity software and some gaming means to the "average" consumer...and oh yeah those processors are half the cost.
    but those people are not us.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes...and right now they're a solid "buy" form most analysts despite the large increase in share price and iffy state of the overall computer industry.
    the funny thing is (to an American) it's Europe that's largely to credit for the run up in AMD's valuation. between the E.U. carbon goals (affecting datacenters), and the AMD domination of the German market, the indicators are lighting up the eyes of the stock boys in New York. especially after similar numbers were being posting in most overseas markets.
    to draw an analogy, AMD is in the position of Toyota after creating Lexus. the transition from a perceived "value" option (pre-Ryzen) to a "quality" (in the American sense) option (Ryzen, Epyc, Threadripper).

Embra likes this.
  10. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    So, according to the schedule, the meeting was yesterday.
    Any news from the meeting that reached the public already?