New NVIDIA Shield Being Worked On? Two new Codenames spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I liked the K1 tablet (had it for 2 years until the battery melted...). It would be nice if they made a new one.

3. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Good stuff. Was kind of hesitating to buy one. Definitely going to get the new model.

DeskStar likes this.
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It doesn't have a replaceable battery or it is unserviceable?

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    NVIDIA actually had a recall program where they would replace the tablet for free. I was a dipshit and missed that memo (at that point the battery functioned). A year later, when I applied, they were no longer manufacturing this tablet or replacement parts. They did, however, refund my tablet via a giftcard, which I then used to buy a new, different tablet (which I've had for a year now).

KissSh0t likes this.
  6. disco

disco Guest

GPU:
    Palit Dual 3060Ti
    I bought Shield 2017 just recently (October 2018) and I love that little beast.
    It would be really awesome if we are getting the new one! I''ll just transfer 2017 version to my bedroom :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    These are probably the code names for the 2 nintendo switch device refreshes coming soon.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Picolete and Denial like this.
  8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    The best TV box by far.

9. Moofachuka

Moofachuka Member

GPU:
    12GB
    Yeh most likely Nintendo stuff

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    They were good. If they make new one on 7nm, it would be nice. Because older were pretty power hungry heat generators.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Maybe they are working on the Switch Pro or an upgraded model of the Switch with the newer Tegra chips based off of the 2xxx series cards.

12. Usul420

Usul420 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070TI
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I bought the original on release and it's by far the best media streaming box I've used. Game streaming works fine but I bought it mainly to have a stable and fast Kodi box.

14. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Would love a new shield tv my 2015 model is starting to show its age and is doing some Full Resets and i have to set it up all over again. so a new one with maybe a mobile version of the 2000 series would be kick ass.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    10 inch tablet or gtfo.

16. gameraddikted

gameraddikted Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    At the end of that article they also state that they think it is likely that they would be developing a new remote and controller for an unreleased Shield console and not the current version. Basically the same thing

airbud7 and crkwhr like this.
  17. Ray

Ray Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 / 8GB
    Replacing the battery is pretty easy.
    The tablet pops open with carefull use of something thin like a razor (no glue).
    And if you look around on AliExpress you can find a replacement battery for 10.- to 15.- euro.

There are youtube videos about this easy process.

18. crkwhr

crkwhr Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti sc2
    I'm not sure how this is misleading either or people were just to lazy to read it. Probably latter since it spells out since the controller and remote are getting reworked they are making the leap of faith the main unit is getting an upgrade also.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. DrKeo

DrKeo Guest

NVIDIA never got the newer Tegra SOCs to the general public. X2 (16nm Pascal based) is only in cars and Xavier (12nm Volta based) never surfaced as far as I know. Maybe now that the Switch is selling by the millions, both NVIDIA and Nintendo see the potential. Nintendo probably took the X1 because it was the best NVIDIA SOC that was massively produced to general consumers so they got stuck with a two-year-old SOC for the switch. But now when they are booming? I'm sure that NVIDIA is happy to make a Turing based Tegra that will serve both the updated Switch and their own Shield 2.

X1 was 0.5 TFLOPS and Xavier is 1.3 TFLOPS so I wonder if a Turing based Tegra can get north of 1.3 TFLOPS. Yes, Nintendo under-clocked the X1 and they will probably under-clock the new SOC, but if it's something like 1.5 TFLOPS, even under-clocked we are talking about a more powerful console than the Xbox One S.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  20. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Been waiting for a hardware refresh....... Only since I couldn't find one for a decent price that offered the 2.5" drive Bay after the slimmer revision. I want a SSD in there with TB's of storage..

Never about paying more for older hardware because of newer limitations on a revision.