Gigabyte To Bundle Z390 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce 5G with binned Core i9-9900K at 5.1 GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. gydj

gydj Guest

I casually bought a 9900K at local store and it runs @ 5.2G just fine...

airbud7 likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is actually a good deal considering that Gigabyte is unlikely in the extreme (lol) to change spec on a flagship product.
    and for many gamers who are afraid of overclocking, but want the extra fps this is ideal. i'm especially thinking e-sport where someone else's dime pays for this.

4. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    I hope for all of that extra cash customers are paying that they get full warranty support from Gigabyte should the CPU die earlier than expected.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Buying new cpu's every year, so we do not care :D

6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Sorry, but LOL.
    I hope it was cheap. :p

7. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Called it. Well in way that is. Was close enough tbh.. :p

Posted this on Feb 3rd when the price of €1049 was mentioned in frontpage.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  8. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Sadly, that price is not all that far out of line with a flagship mobo + Monoblock. The Asus Maximus XI Extreme is around $600, and the Bitspower block for it is $150. Add in the fact that this board's block is a full cover, including the chipset and all three m.2 slots, and the leak detection, and it's not out of line.

I'd question the logic of putting that much money into a chip that has the limitations that a 9900k does, but hey, enthusiasts aren't known for their logic or self-restraint.

9. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    16 lanes are too limiting for me but if games is all that matters well....

10. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    That's an issue, but the worse problem is that if you overclock a 9900k (which of course you are if you are spending this much to cool it) you are likely to end up spending half or more of the cost of the CPU every year to power it. Intel has pushed this manufacturing process as far as it can go, and it shows a lot on this chip.

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    But still way faster than the fastest AMD 2700x. We need AMD to beat 9900k in both latency and frequence. Now 2700x OC has 60-70% higher latency than 9900k OC.

12. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    I wonder for how low will Intel lie about the CPU's TDP. It is around 150W, not even close to 95W.

And how do you even compare it to AMD's 2700X, which has much lower TDP. At same TDP 9900K is beaten horse, worse than 2700 non-X.

13. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    Can you please elaborate more on the latency impact on performance? I am well aware of the frequency's impact, but not sure about the latency( I assume here you are talking about the memory latency).

14. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    If you ran your i9 9900k at 100% load in heavy multithreaded processing 24/7 which would be about 200W (total system power draw when not stressing the GPU as well) going off an aussie electricity price of 20c kWh (it can be cheaper or more expensive depending on where you live), that would come to a total of $350 AUD a year, and that's a worse case scenario where you run the CPU at 100% load every single hour of every single day for the whole year.

Considering gaming uses less CPU power than a CPU torture test (which I used to figure out that power usage) and gamers don't spend 24 hours a day gaming, lets say an average gamer playing 4 hours a day playing games that had the same 200W cpu load (unlikely but easier to calculate and keep things similar) would come to a total of $58.40 AUD a year, even if you go up to 8 hours a day that's only $116 AUD a year.

Currently a i9 9900k sells for $899 AUD here, so that is nowhere near "half or more of the cost of the CPU every year" even if you played games 8 hours a day on games that absolutely thrashed the CPU.

So unless you are using your i9 24/7 for compute tasks (wich would be silly as there are much better processors for that kinda work) its not that big a deal.

**note**
    I didn't use overclocked power usage as those values vary massively between processors, but the torture tests use way more power than games do anyway so it works out being similar to an overclocked processor anyways. Also power draw is TOTAL system power, not just CPU, but only the CPU is being stressed, I sadly don't have the power clamps or reading equipment to get only the power draw on the CPU.

Also incase you were unsure these calculations don't include GPU electricity cost as that would be irrelevant to the cost of the CPU, if they did however, the GPU would cost *at least* half again as much ($500+ AUD for 24/7 of only GPU stress, more if cpu stressed as well) a year as the CPU for a high powered GPU like a 2080, 2080ti, 1080, 1080ti e.t.c

**Second Note**
    A Ryzen 2700X btw uses roughly the same 200W system power draw without an overclock in a torture test, so the prices above apply to that processor as well. Just FYI.
    (if you don't believe me check hilberts own reviews of both of those processors for confirmation, I used them as a source to confirm my own testing info to make sure it was accurate)

I kinda feel like this info needs to be re posted somewhere else as the issue of AMD being more power efficient or the cost of running an overclocked CPU (amd or intel) being super crazy expensive keeps being brought up in multiple threads all the time, people need to see this so they stop just spouting nonsense. (yes I am aware that some of AMD's CPU's are more power efficient than their direct performance equivalent from Intel, mostly these are AMD's high core count CPU's)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    airbud7 and Koniakki like this.
  15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ^ Same can be applied to GPU's.

Playing with a GTX 1080Ti for 4 hours a day for 25 days each month(let's leave some weekends off), would cost ~$30($2.5 per month) more yearly, than if someone was playing with a GTX 1660Ti instead.

Even if the 9900k consumed 50W more than the 2700x while gaming(using 200w/$58 figures above) it comes out to ~$15($1.25 per month) more yearly over the 2700x.

And that amount won't be that noticeable on someone's power/electricity bill every month or two.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Ridiric and airbud7 like this.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Y'all some good power usage Gurus I tell ya! it is good to know that stuff offhand...Thanks.

Ridiric and Koniakki like this.
  17. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Btw I saw the price listed as $1600. Geez.

Fun fact: You can get an ASUS Maximus XI Formula(z390) + an EKWB Velocity cpu block + a 9900k for ~€1050 or ~$1020.

Yeah, obviously people who can/would buy the bundle couldn't care less for the extra $550-600 but asking $1600 for a z390 platform mobo and cpu bundle is kinda ridiculous if not scary imo.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.