Do NOT purchase Nvidia Graphics cards from GCI Micro on newegg.com

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cav8000, Apr 4, 2019.

1. cav8000

cav8000 Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    I am posting this thread as a warning to those who buy Nvidia graphics cards from newegg.com. The cards listed for sale directly from newegg are fine. However, there is a third party seller called GCI Micro that I have evidence is selling used/refurbished cards as brand new and charging full price. I have been dealing with newegg extensively concerning this issue and thought I would share this information with others so that what happened to me will not happen to anyone else. Here is my one egg review for the seller GCI Micro on newegg's website:

"My recent experience with GCI Micro has left me seriously doubting if I will ever order anything from newegg again. How can a supposedly reputable company associate themselves with a third party market place seller who engages in dishonest and unscrupulous behavior? I wish I would have read the reviews on GCI Micro before simply assuming they must be a legitimate option for purchasing a graphics card. The negative reviews are here for a reason and I can personally substantiate their claims. One such assertion is that this company is selling used graphics cards as new. Throughout the course of my most recent transaction, I have unfortunately confirmed that this accusation is indeed a fact.

I was in search of an unused GTX 1080 ti and came across the listings on newegg’s website. These 1080 ti cards were all listed as new and at an extremely high price, which struck me as kind of odd. How could there still be brand new unopened 1080s, especially after the cryptocurrency craze? Seeing as I was not quite ready to gamble on the 2080s, I decided to order one of these “new” 1080 ti cards. Now, I am a long time EVGA user and I can easily recognize the method they use in packaging video cards. EVGA uses tape with their logo all over it and they typically wrap the box as well. However, when I received the card from GCI Micro, this was not the case. I knew it was refurbished because it had regular tape and no wrapper. I immediately contacted newegg and requested a return because GCI Micro sold me a refurbished card as new and charged me over $1,200 for it. Newegg contacted GCI and GCI then contacted me. GCI apologized and claimed there must have been a mix up and that they sent the refurbished one instead of the new one. I knew this sounded fishy. However, they offered to send me the new one at 10% off. They even sent me pictures of this card that showed the box wrapped with clear cellophane and taped with EVGA tape. I thought, well this card MUST be unopened, right? Come to find out… NOT.

Like I said, I am a long time customer of EVGA and I have a contact there who can check the history of EVGA serial numbers. I emailed him and gave him the serial number of the “new” card that I could see in the images that were sent to me. I really wasn’t expecting him to come back with anything, but sure enough he did. He informed me that this particular card was involved in an RMA last year! Here are his exact words:

Ok, so I took a look at the serial number again and also went through this with a supervisor to make sure I wasn’t making any mistakes. The serial number xxxxx was part of a RMA back in April of 2018. This serial number is the card we sent them as a replacement. Definitely refurbished as far as we are aware cause there is nothing I see that says we sent them a brand new unit.

I couldn’t believe it. First, GCI Micro tried to sell me a refurbished card and just hoped I was ignorant enough to open the box and not question anything. Then when this didn’t work, they tried to screw me again! And I am certainly not the only person that this has happened to. Just check the other one egg reviews. No telling how many others unknowingly inserted an extremely used video card into their systems after purchasing them at full price from GCI Micro!

I contacted newegg and expressed my concern regarding this rather serious issue and informed them that if this sort of deception continues, newegg would knowingly be affiliating themselves with an unethical company who is selling used graphics cards and no telling what else as new and charging full price. I would strongly suggest that after seeing GCI Micro as the seller of anything you order from newegg, click REMOVE FROM CART."

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Did you agree to pay $1200 for a 1080ti?

3. cav8000

cav8000 Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    Yes, I did. I really wanted that card unused but now I will be going with a 2080 ti. First, I received a refurbished 1080 ti from GCI and I sent it back. Then they sent me images of a supposedly "new" 1080 ti that was wrapped and taped with EVGA tape. That one also turned out to be refurbished. Stay away from GCI Micro.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I say we go pay them a Visit ! I would be pissed off 2 dropping $1,200 dollars and getting a used product.

5. cav8000

cav8000 Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    nz3777 is that really you in your profile picture? YES, please go pay them a visit for me!

6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    I buy all my tech stuffs from :
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

(i'm in the east)
    --------------
    although i pay ~$100 as shipping fee (depending upon products weight and size).... i am happy....
    --------------

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    $1200 for a 1080ti whether it's new or not seems a bit ridiculous.

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I hope he got his money back, and use it towards a new 2080 Ti

Deleted member 213629 and chispy like this.
  9. cav8000

cav8000 Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    Yeah, I got a full return and I will be purchasing a new ASUS STRIX 2080 ti sometime towards the end of this year. I am convinced now. There are no more "new" 1080 ti cards left. I believe all the crypto miners used and abused them.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sadly newegg is not what it used to be :( , years ago everything was perfect , no scams / no price gouging / no third party ass holes scum bag sellers ( This makes me mad ) , very good low prices and great customer support , since the Americans owners sold them to a Chinese company is been downhill and they have made newegg like ebay and aliexpress where you do not really know what you will get until is in your own hands , third party sellers are mostly scammers / price gouging low life animals. I was getting a lot of spam emails from newegg at one point with just crap for sale like " rice maker " , ( Chinese Cloned ) not the real Roomba vacuum cleaners and house hold stuff and toys lol lots of cheap Chinese toys :mad:

I have had my share of scams from newegg third party sellers too :/ , i stopped buying from newegg for a while and now i only buy at newegg IF i really need something that i cannot find anywhere else and / or a great sales deal ONLY by newegg.com and NOT third party sellers. Big thumbs down to newegg and i hope the OP got his money back and bought a new RTX 2080Ti.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Thats me my brother, Will do just give me the address haha. On a serious note I hope you are able to sort the situation that is not cool at all what they are doing.We gotta stick together the gaming community no?

cav8000 likes this.
  12. cav8000

cav8000 Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    Thanks nz3777. Yeah, that's why I posted this thread. Trying to look out for my fellow gamers! :)

chispy likes this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    No offense man but paying $1200 for a brand new 1080Ti is pretty bad decision.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Judging by my recent experience, Newegg itself has become a questionable company. I'm dealing with them now over an order I placed in mid-March that I still haven't received from a "marketplace seller".

Any company that knowingly and willingly affiliates itself with an immoral or unethical company, is itself an immoral and unethical company.

15. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    Thanks for the heads up, we as consumers need to stick together against scammers.

Yes I agree about how NewEgg has become questionable. I bought 2 used/refurbished Lenovo ThinkCentre's from NewEgg not a 3rd Party. They shipped me 2 completely different units of lesser value in their place. Then tried only giving me one return shipping label to ship 2 boxes back. Rep said FedEx would except them, for which is incorrect. After going round and round with them they finally emailed me 2 shipping labels. After looking at them they where the same and the same shipping label their system generated. Once again I'm on the horn with them and told NewEgg Rep I need two unigue shipping labels or FedEx will refuse them. They complied and I also got them to schdule a pickup so I didn't need to haul these two systems to a FedEx shipper. Took almost 2 weeks to get my money back less the shipping costs.

airbud7, chispy and cav8000 like this.

16. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Man, I use to be all about Newegg but I have used them maybe once in the last year and no real reason to go back. Amazon is my go to now. Sucks you had a bad experience but now you know not to use them anymore. Thanks for sharing your experience.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I buy most everything on Amazon but they can be just as bad since they allow 3rd party sellers too. I bought one thing that was not Amazon Prime eligible and it was a nightmare. Never make that mistake again

DerSchniffles likes this.
  18. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Oh I have made that mistake myself! I make sure everything I buy is Prime eligible.

19. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I get all my pc stuff from Micro center, if something stops working or whatever They are real cool abt exchanging/ returning + no waiting on shipping ect....I only order 1 time from new-egg (gpu). Go local bro.

20. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    All thrid party seller's New Egg, Amazon etc don't trust them to much trouble to deal with problems.

Always go with Amazon prime, third party Amazon Prime, and sold by New Egg also Micro Center has excellent customer service.