[Requesting Help]Scanline Sync for a 1080p monitor

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by BlackNova92, Mar 31, 2019.

1. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Hey folks, i just decided to try out the Scanline Sync feature inside of RTSS,
    I know there are a lot of threads about it but it's honestly quite confusing for me when it comes to all the different values etc.

So here i am asking for a little help if possible.

I'm using a gtx 1080 on a Benq XL2411@144hz/1080p
    What would be the ideal number i should use for said Monitor(if the monitor matters?)

Thank you guys in advance, i'll will gladly test out everything you throw at me [​IMG]

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
  3. Malik Sajid

Malik Sajid Member

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    With an AMD card you could have ''unofficially'' enabled freesync with a huge range on this monitor.

4. alexander1986

alexander1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    if you mean the RTSS profile settings, for me with asus vg248qe 144hz 1920x1080 24" monitor these values worked REALLY good when I used s-sync and also tearline was removed from visible area of screen:

[Framerate]
    Limit=0
    LimitDenominator=1
    LimitTime=0
    SyncDisplay=0
    SyncFlush=1
    SyncHotkeys=1
    SyncScanline0=-180
    SyncScanline1=0
    SyncTimeout=1
    SyncPeriods=0

the above should go to your game profile for whatever game you are testing in your RTSS/Profiles folder , can edit with text editor like notepad,

(notice the - before 180 on SyncScanline0= , so its -180)

if you see tearline with -180 adjust value up or down in steps in the textfile and reload profile in RTSS, like -170 -160 or -190 -200 etc etc, If I remember correctly its best to move tearline down to bottom/just outside of bottom of screen instead of top of screen, for the least lag,

also remember to keep normal vsync OFF and framelimiter OFF in RTSS and ingame,

good luck anyway, lots of reading and testing you can do :p

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    BlackNova92 and chinobino like this.

5. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    I just copy/pasted everything(i also had to add lines like syncflush etc, for some reason i don't have them), will test it in Overwatch and report back, thank you :)

alexander1986 likes this.
  6. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060

sounds good, remember the lower the GPU load the better scanlinesync will work without tearing and stuttering, I dont know what is a good max % to aim for, but when I tried this in fortnite where I play with all low settings at 1080p competitive, my gpu load on gtx 1060 was never over 55-60% max, think I read that around 70% max is good for gpu load when using scanlinesync, I cant say for sure, and my fps was 120 since my hz on monitor is 120 when I use lightboost (blur reduction) and scanlinesync locks framerate to monitor hz,

but it worked really well and felt like vsync off but looked like vsync on :) zero tearing and stuttering and no or extremely low input lag, not noticeable atleast,

so be sure to check gpu load if you experience any problems or stuttering/tearing! report back if you have any issues or some question, or if it worked great, cheers !

7. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Everything is working good so far, tbh i usually lower my resolution etc in fps games and in Overwatch my video card is pretty much sleeping(it barely hits 20% usage at 144fps constantly),
    btw i was wondering why you have choosen -180 at your ssync value(is it the same as, lets say -30, -20?)
    still, everything is looking good so far, might try to play with blur reduction on my benq xl2411, not sure if it makes a difference cause i always hear people saying it doesn't at 144hz, but doesn't it lower the input lag or am i missinformed?

8. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060

glad to hear s-sync seems to be working good for you !

-180 is a value that for me on my monitor atleast, puts the tearline to an invisible portion of the screen,
    if you change this number up or down then at some point you should be able to see a tearline visible somewhere on the screen, adjusting this value will just move it up or down,

and with -180 for me atleast its invisible so for me I just kept using that! from what I understand the least s-sync lag will be when tearline is at the bottom of the monitor and invisible, instead of the top of the monitor and invisible, so to speak, but in many games I dont use s-sync, in some games I do, depends, im not sensitive to tearing with vsync off and much more sensitive to motion blur and ghosting artifacts, but its nice to sometimes use s-sync in games like fifa or similar for the extra smoothness, or less competitive games, depends :D

your question about blur reduction if it makes a difference - if working correctly its an EXTREME difference, literally zero ghosting and motion blur,
    for good example go here: https://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=alien-invasion.png&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0 and test with/without blur reduction enabled, dont have many tabs or background apps open at same time though for a proper test,

good links to learn more about lightboost/blur reduction tech:

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/motion-blur-reduction/

https://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

and https://www.blurbusters.com in general, great site/forum dedicated to monitor technology and this kind of things,

anyway if I turn blur reduction off and set monitor to 144hz on the testufo test, I get motion blur and see slight trails/ghosting on the small UFOs, same in fast fps games or any scrolling picture really, but much more obvious in fast games or games like Fifa where screen scrolls from left to right quickly sometimes etc, but I think I am more sensitive than most people to ghosting and lcd motion blur, coming from my old days as quake1 player on CRT screens!

now with blur reduction enabled I get zero ghosting and motion blur, literally zero, the ufos are razor sharp and the same in games, I cant produce any ghosting or motion blur no matter how much fast I flick the mouse or how fast the ingame camera is moving etc, also scrolling in web pages or whatever is super clear, like a CRT screen basically !

basically with blur reduction it looks like this for me:

[​IMG]

instead of like this:

[​IMG]

I encourage you to test the difference ! it has to be experienced to be understood its really amazing imo,

The only thing you can say is negative with blur reduction is that it can make the monitor brighness a lot lower ( can be adjusted, and is a much smaller problem on newer brighter monitors, I have old asus vg248qe from 2012 and use lightboost at lowest lightboost setting 10% of 100%, lower lightboost setting = darker but sharper, and still looks great to me, less strain on eyes too )

and also, that fps must be super stable or a lot higher than the refresh rate, like if you play at 120 hz then you dont want the fps to drop under 120 at any time since it will show the stutters much more clear than without blur reduction, where the motion blur will normally "hide" these stutters in the blur kind of lol, but for me this is not problem since I always lower quality settings in my competitive fps games or other games if needed to achieve stable fps = hz , or higher fps than hz,

so either stable fps = hz, or fps= higher than hz for good blur reduction experience (the higher fps the better, like 180+ fps on 120 hz etc is really awesome, but 120 fps/120 hz stable is perfect too, the higher the fps the lower the lag from mouse etc though of course)

colors can be washed out also or changed when enabling blur reduction, but can be calibrated quickly in nvidia control panel even, for me its not even an issue with default settings tbh, played with lightboost since I got the monitor day one in 2012 and can't imagine playing without it, couple times over the years I tested playing without it and just 144hz normal, and I get kind of sick from the motion blur after only couple minutes lol, but again I probably am more sensitive than most users to lcd motion blur/ghosting !

newer monitors like the new 240 hz monitors are even better on all aspects like brightness, colors, etc when using blur reduction, benq has DyAc, nvidia gsync monitors has ULMB, asus has some ELMB on some monitors and so on, but all work with same principle, inserting black frames between frames if that is correct explanation, to hide the transitions where ghosting/overshooting is visible,

also blur reduction can be used with vsync on/off and scanline sync as well, so with vsync/ssync on, as long as your fps is very stable and not dropping from refreshrate, result will be great,

with vsync/ssync off and blur reduction on, can have some tearing (the higher fps the less tearing you have) but this is normal for vsync off , since whole point of vsync on is to remove tearing , and s-sync does the same but with much lower input lag than normal vsync, again im not sensitive to tearing and prefer a bit of tearing over input lag or motion blur/ghosting, but everyone is different !

another advantage of scanline sync is you can use it together with blur reduction for extreme smoothness + sharpness and no motion blur, basically looks like vsync on but with very very low input lag, same as no vsync basically, there is for example no gsync or freesync monitor today that can have both gsync/freesync and blur reduction enabled at same time, but with ssync+blur reduction on you can now have both at same time, of course s-sync does not adapt monitor hz to fps in real time like g-sync or freesync, but when you have super stable fps and not too high gpu load the effect is the same in how smooth the picture is, while having vsync off levels of input lag :)

so thats the long explanation I guess ! you can atleast test it on the ufo site I linked and on/off in some games while turning camera really fast etc to really see the difference, much much easier to track targets and objects in motion, it adds a very very low amount of input delay, something like 4 ms at 120 hz as far as i've seen in tests on rtings.com and similar, half of a refresh cycle basically, so at 144hz and 240hz even less added delay, not noticeable and the positives far, far outweigh the negatives imo, I aim 100x better with it than without it in fps games,

If not sensitive to motion blur then its fine to play without it also ofcourse, most of todays esports pros are playing without blur reduction but I suspect it is because a lot of false information like it brings a lot of input lag or bad rumors about it etc ! , or bad experiences from not properly calibrated colors/brightness when testing it , etc etc, also as example on benqs xl2546 monitor, top choice for many pros, blur reduction is enabled by default at 240hz (DyAc) for example, anyway best to test it yourself and IDK how good it is working or implemented on your monitor model but just test the ufo test / in fps games :)

hope that helps, cheers!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  9. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    first of all, i appreciate the fact that you take your time to write this stuff down for me, big thumbs up!
    and for the motion blur, i never really used it on my benq cause if i'm not completely stupid, i still saw ghosting while i had MB enabled/or the motion felt kind of off... hard to explain, but i've heard that the motion blur of benq(at least on my xl2411) is bad and not good compared to other monitors, so i might upgrade mine soonish :)

and again thanks for all the informations you provided, it helped a lot, hopefully someone with the same questions(1080p monitor) will see this thread.

cheers!

10. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    no problem !

and yeah if the blur reduction is not implemented in a good way on a monitor, you can see for example "strobe crosstalk" , its like artifacts and ghosting but looks a little different, small double image effect or trails behind objects, on many monitors there will always be a little crosstalk somewhere on monitor when using blur reduction, but if it is implemented in good way by manufacturer, it will be on bottom of screen and very little crosstalk, many old models dont have the best implementation and might have crosstalk in center of screen, then it will be very bad experience and noticeable,

on my asus vg248qe for example, no crosstalk or artifacts except for small amount on bottom of screen, where it is not noticeable in games anyway, still very worth it and like, all new monitors today have much better implementation of blur reduction than my old monitor :) new gsync monitors always have a high quality strobing with ULMB since it is required by nvidia to have a certain level of quality to be certified, I think, something like that, and benqs new monitors with DyAc and 240 hz are great aswell,

anyway good luck with the monitor or if you buy a new one! for me benq xl2546 or asus rog swift pg258q seem like the best 240hz monitors, both good for different reasons, and I would get one of those if buying new monitor, before summer I think I will get one of them anyway, but cheers and good luck :)

11. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Hey hey it's me again, came back because there seems to be a problem atm, no matter what value i use for scanline sync it's always a visible line near the top of the screen(plus the game feels like it's stuttering more than usual), it worked fine before, no visible tearing line, nothing, what could've caused that?

edit: managed to move it out of the screen with the shortcut, however rtss won't save it. is that normal?
    i started with a value of 10 for example to see the tearline, but it's still 10 in the program and when i close it, it's back to ugly tearline.
    edit2: manged to enable the osd but as in one of the guides stated, i have to use the arrowkeys(obviously) and then i'm able to see the value i used through rtss(show own statistics enabled) but that doesn't work, i don't see the value... i feel so stupid right now cause i'm sure it's a small thing i'm missing.

Picture: While not visible, the tearline is basically under the fps, gpu counter ingame.[​IMG]

another edit: finally managed to see the numbers for the tearline, the max value i saw is 1098(i guess that's the number for 1080+18offscreen? played around a bit and managed to have a tearless picture with the value 1045(not sure if i can just put that into rtss or do i have to subtract 1098 by 1045? would be around minus 50)

Last edited: May 8, 2019