Socket AM4 motherboard BIOS update available - ready for Ryzen 3000 CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy likes this.
  2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    That's a good sign. Let's go
    Here's my guess, AMD didn't show anything in GDC because:

[​IMG]

May 1st

cryohellinc likes this.
  3. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Please be Aware! AGESA 0070 for ASUS broke PBO on X470 MB's, same with the beta bios for some MSI boards too, after contacting ASUS they work on solution and released new BIOS with AGESA 0072 version 4602 few days ago (I shared it on thread) and now PBO works, it will be up in the next few days on the official support page.
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/PRIME-X470-PRO-ASUS-4602.zip
    more in this PBO bug:
    https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...-asus-prime-x470-pro-issues-successes-37.html

So check before updating if the new Bios is bug free .

chispy, airbud7 and SamuelL421 like this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    It will be like a rumble of rolling thunder!

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Hoping for 8 cores at 4.8Ghz as rumors have been saying for some time..

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    While that 12 core up to 5GHz is Amazing value for money, there is yet the 16 core capable of 5.1GHz..........

I don't Neeed it as I am still loving my 2700X, but.....

EDIT:
    Hoping they will fit right into my MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC which has excellent power phase setup.

7. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Hang on, I didn't even think of that. So used to buying completely new hardware in the past.

Does that mean that, if my manufacturer releases the corresponding AGESA update for my AX370 mainboard, I can put a shiny, new Ryzen 3000 series on it and be a happy guy?

8. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Think i'll hold off till zen3+ since that will be on AM4 as well.

9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Essentially yes... with a But.

It is dependent on how good the power circuitry is on the motherboard and whether it can support the additional power requirements of some of the higher end new chips. While 370 / 470 board should be fairly good, lower end 350 / 450 boards often have far inferior power phases and number of them also.

I'm sure the manufacturers will only add support for chips that fall within cautious margins.

I specifically chose my board due to it's above average for a 470 power phase setup so it will have enough power for any of these new chips as it has a Lot of headroom and remains cool under load.

10. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    IMO at stock settings there will be no problem for current boards, the problem will start with PBO and OCing for simple VRM boards.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO already up-to-dated. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

This, as it was with Ryzen 2xxx and x3xx series MBs... If you do not overclock and the TDP does not exceeds 95W for x3xx series and 105W for x4xx there should be no issues at all. Decebt x3xx and x4xx MBs should support 115W without problems

12. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    For ASUS- wait for AGESA 0072 Bios, since the current AGESA 0070 update disables PBO,

13. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
    No biggie but I can't find any web pages on the ASUS web site for the first 4 entries...

• ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA
    • ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
    • ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    • ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It's worth pointing out that Biostar also already has this update available, oddly enough. I haven't yet upgraded to it, mostly because I don't yet have any intention on getting the 3000 series CPUs and Biostar's updates seem to have a tendency to cripple my overclocks.

In addition to what Humanoid_1 said, it's worth pointing out that if you buy an old board with a 300 series chipset, there is very slim chance it will boot properly on these new CPUs without the BIOS update. So, unless you already have some old Ryzen lying around and intend to upgrade, you're better off either buying a 300 series board known to be ready for the Ryzen 3000 series out-of-the-box, or, just buy the newest chipset.

Also, I'm sure there will be some tweaks here and there related to XFR or power-related benefits that you won't get from a 300 series chipset, if you care about such things. At least for overlockers, this is pretty much a non-issue.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Thanks for this info, I'm rebuilding a X470 Prime system this week for a family member. Glad I saw this or I might have used the previous BIOS I downloaded!

HWgeek and airbud7 like this.

16. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    This is something I have tought about lot, but we have to remember that very basic motherboards will be released even with the 500-chipset. They support the latest processors, but you really shouldn't overclock those. There is no reason why the older more basic motherboards shouldn't get the same treatment.

I for one own an mATX-case, which meant when 1000-series was released that you had no options than to get a pretty basic motherboard because the selection was slim. If I want a new more powerful Ryzen chip and plan to overclock it, it's better to buy a new motherboard too, which kind of sucks. Other solution is to wait even longer for later Zen-processors and just not overclock them, since I assume every AM4-processor will work on any motherboard no matter how cheap, if it is not overclocked. Upgrading from 1000-series to 3000-series returns too little gains without overclocking will be likely the case. Do not excpect any great XFR results from a cheap board though.

Those who have ATX-case and bought a decent board like MSI X370 Pro Carbon or similiar are good to go and invested wisely. You don't need any better, but lesser can be a compromise in the future. Given my situation though, going with Intel would have resulted the same - you need a new motherboard nonetheless. I bought R7 1700 for gaming and I have not yet seen pretty much any case where it performs better than i5-8400, which is a shame to be honest, but I was one of the early adopters and Intel 8000-series wasn't available yet when I upgraded my system.

I'm happy with my R7 1700 in any case, but the motherboard selection has to be much better when 500-chipset enters the market.

17. H1TMANza

H1TMANza Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Disappointed the new AMD chips wont be supported by the B350m Motherboards , AMD said it would be supported, they should of either been clear that the budget boards wont work or get the motherboard manufacturers to ensure its supported. Otherwise dont make that claim of support till 2020

18. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Well most likely you're GPU bottlenecked a lot more often than you are CPU.....

your MB will allow you to upgrade to future Zen2+ products so I don't think you should feel sad at all.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    @GamerNerves
    I agree. It's worth pointing out that if the rumors of the 3000 series are true, these new chips are all running nearly 1GHz higher than previous generations with higher core counts and yet their TDPs aren't really any higher. I'm sure most X370 or X470 boards with 8-pin EPS connectors have VRMs sufficient to handle the new CPUs. I'd bet that people will probably suffer stability issues due to thermals before power delivery becomes a problem, when it comes to the 8+ core models. If you intend to OC enough to warrant liquid cooling, you're probably better off with a 400 or 500 series chipset.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I have a very positive vibe about this new cpus :D , get ready it has begun ...