Microsoft informs Windows 7 users that support will stop next year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2019.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Windows 7 is a much stabler operating system than 10

I will make a bet that within one week there is another Windows 10 screw up thread.

GREGIX likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Being a Windows 8.1 user feels like being trapped between a rock and a hard place.

3. R41DZ3R0

R41DZ3R0 Guest

GPU:
    797o xfire
    lol ..... gosh dude

..for the DAW ,i still prefer W7 ..audio latency for realtime processing is way much better

GREGIX likes this.
  4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    *The year of the linux desktop Intensifies*

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It's the safest place to be. The price you pay for neutrality.

nicugoalkeper likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I used to have a blue screen every now and then in Win 7.

Havnt had any of them in Win 10 since i started using it in 2016.

(And yes, it even happend on a fresh install)

airbud7 likes this.
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I heard that before... about 10 years ago?

nicugoalkeper likes this.
  8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the year of the linux desktop has been 1 year in the future every year for the past 20 years it seems. :D

airbud7 and Embra like this.
  9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Yes, they could quite clearly have supported DX12 on Win7 but choose not to because they want to sell newer windows.. The amount of consumer manipulation is through the roof.

10. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Still Windows will not go away and Linux still has a low adoption rate.
    I still see Windows strong in 5 maybe 10 years if nothing new comes to table (some unified SO for PC, laptops smartphone, tablets).

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Windows10x64 is without a doubt the best OS Microsoft has ever made...I'm on version 1903, build 18362--a beta of the next official Win10x64 release, due any day now. It's excellent--there is zero spyware in it, of course--and it is, I've noticed, much more back-compatible with my considerable gaming library than Win7x64 ever was--by a noticeable margin.

alanm likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Win 10 is where its at. Facepalm at those who cite telemetry as reason to not use 10. Better stay off the internet, google, android as well as any other connected web services if you're afraid for your precious details. MS can probe into the furthest reaches of my anatomy with their telemetry for all I care.

INSTG8R likes this.
  13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Dunno. 10 is pretty stable for me. I personally think Windows 10 is the best OS MS ever made. My only problem is the telemetry and the fact some of the options are still only present in the old control panel. I wish they would improve the multi monitors support too.

Windows 10 upgrade was free though. I'm not a fan of MS. I'm very critical of a lot of the things they do. But honestly Windows 10 is nice and it was free for legal owners of 7 and 8. Windows 7 is 10 years old so it's time to move on imo.

INSTG8R and XP-200 like this.
  14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It actually worked to install Win10 even though the installed win7 was not registered/bought. I've had plenty of problems with it, it took a lot longer than say for XP to be functional... for instance I've had a start menu that has not worked for a long period of time.
    Now it's rather OK....actually I had to reset Win10 a few days ago because 95% of the websites could not be reached with any browser. Scanned through the system with three different apps, if there was something meddling but they found nothing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Oh i don't know, i am over 2 years since i last install W10 onto my ssd, and the pc has yet tondo what ir says on the tin,
    I got the Pro version of W10 because i had the Pro version of W8 so i can't grumble. ha

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Let me guess, Microsoft's AI auto-correct feature is enabled? :D

But jokes aside:
    Performance-wise you pay for using Se7en. You pay almost the same amount like the XP users before who decided they keep XP instead of going to Se7en. Technology aged, processes got better, more efficient, create less overhead and so on.

My personal opinion is the "updating cycle" of Windows 10 is the root issue resulting in all these strange behaviours of different hardware and so on. On Se7en for example you have your standard environment on build 6.1.7601.whatever, you stay there, nothing big changes. On Win10 you get a new build every half a year. So every 180 days (long demo version, eh? :D) you basically get another OS, even if it "still looks the same" like before. Some drivers stop working, others START to work finally (yes, this is a thing today!) and nobody really knows how and why, because nobody really knows what they did "under the hood". You see the top bit of the iceberg, but 95% remain unknown, except you devoted your life to dig deep into terms & conditions, dev logs, do reverse engineering and dismantle Windows bit for bit.
    Does it work on Se7en? - Yes. =====> No problem in your whole Se7en lifecycle.
    Does it work on 10? - .... on which version? 1511? 1603? 1609? 1703? 1709? 1803? 1809? 1903? ... ====> Every half a year you have to adapt to changes.

Do you know what does NOT adapt to changes? - War. War never changes.
    (Sorry, couldn't help myself! ;))

PC-DOS 7.0 w/ Norton Commander, QEdit and BUFFERS=60 FTW!!!!! :D
    (Hey, you guys basically asked for it, mkay?!) :p

EDIT: You guys all know you STILL can get Win10 for free, right? I am not the only one who knows it, right? Because you all talk like the promo ended ... I mean ... like it REALLY ended. Not what MS said ...
    And under NO circumstances and in NO situation I talk about illegal methods like loaders and stuff. I really mean the official way of the upgrade process, only done >>manually<<.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  17. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I thought Win 7 was going to get dx12...pointless if they're dropping support, as far as Win7 goes...yeah it was good but Win10....imo...is far better, so you dont get the group and subgroup buttons in the start menu but a right click gives more options than win7 ever did, and Win10 has always been stable for me, if so many people are afraid of sharing info perhaps its time they moved back in to the woods and lived in a cave.

18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ;)

[​IMG]

Now, Win10 1809 is a bloody mess.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    No issues at all here with 1809.

INSTG8R and airbud7 like this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Same here. 1809 has been solid. Never looked back.

INSTG8R and airbud7 like this.