Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 16, 2017.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I'm quite fond of the new series. It's given me some really enjoyable moments.

Keitosha likes this.
  2. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    The deletion of the Kelvin Time Line does make STD more interesting to me. One thing I did not like about Burnham was that Spock never mentioned having a sister during his tour on TOS. Now STD episode If Memory Serves has given a reason why Spock never mentioned a sister.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STD also updated the appearance of the Talosians. Why do beings who communicate telepathically need ears?

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    It's probably something that developed over time but you'd also want to hear if something was coming at you and other sounds in the world there is more than speech to hear.

Icanium likes this.
  4. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Anson Mount ( captain Pike ) has apparently been sacked from the show and won't be seen in Season 3, shame, I really like the guy and I think hes a decent actor.

5. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    "According to Deadline's sources, both actors were signed on with one-year deals ahead of time. Their arc was always meant to tie Discovery back to the original lore before the prequel's third season, so their departure is not due to anything other than planned storytelling. Synchronizing with canon means that Pike has to go to the Enterprise in order to play out his personal storyline, and it will be interesting to see how the Discovery's story lines up starting next season."
    https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-anson-mount-rebecca-romijn-leaving/

6. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I heard that there had been fisticuffs on set with him and the director but who knows. I always had the impression that pike was just a rent-a-captain anyway.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah I've seen this one mentioned a few times and yeah it is kinda jarring to find he had this step sister all along... however is it any more jarring than ST The Final Frontier were we suddenly found out that Spock also happened to have a step brother as well? A step brother who we knew nothing about until that movie? I just find it amazing that STD actually thought it could pull this move for a second time or maybe it pulled that move because you know wink wink one of the old ST movies did it?

8. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Okay so I am watching the most recent episode and I am stunned by how hard this just hit me. Control (The section 31 AI) is Skynet and Micheal Burnham is Kylie Reece?

*edit, just finished watching the episode*

So kinda right but somebody else is Kyle Reece and Burnham is John / Sarah Conner?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Burnham is one who does not posses capacity to eliminate threat even if it means annihilation of all life. But at same time casually kills other people.

And then there is this plot twist... she screws so many things that she is more likely to be Red Angel... fixing her own $h*7cake life... Butterfly Effect in place making things worse here and there... requiring further incursions.

10. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So... Borg? Is that what I saw in the latest episode?

Keitosha likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That would be even crazier. I missed mark with that joke about Burnham cleaning disasters of her own making. Well, they did shoot even more as it is her mother who does clean them for her.
    And on top of that quote: "I have seen you die hundred times and I'll see you die hundred times more before this is over." That says a lot about Burnham's recklessness and life expectancy considering her age.

So, if we get Borgs, maybe Burham will be one responsible too :D Last episode quote too: "After all, Klingon war was all of your making." (paraphrasing)

12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Q did nothing wrong! :cool:

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    *This post will contain minor spoilers but I'm assuming anyone else coming to post in this thread has probably finished season 2 now or simply doesn't give a crap*

Just finished series 2 and... I dunno...

I like sci-fi and I like Star Trek but overall this season felt like half assed fluff. Get Spock in as a tacked on way to generate interest, throw in time travel... again!... because it sold tickets well for ST IV: Voyage Home and scored it favourable reviews too. I like time travel episodes but lately when rewatching some of the old episodes of the previous series, it often ends up feeling as if the producers have a special time travel lever they pull to summon a time travel theme when the ratings dip but whatever.

The conclusion of this series was just lame, without going too much into it incase I spoil something, I will say that I was hoping for something a bit more concrete to set us up for the inevitable S3 or at least a cliffhanger. As it is the ending felt ( or maybe fell ) flat but at least the story of Discovery can hopefully carry on doing its own thing in its own timeline and who knows, it might work out for the better.

Personally I can't wait for the 2nd season of Lost in Space, a series which I find almost more Star Trek than STD.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well season 2 was a bit of let down for me , i did like season 1 much more. much more spectacular. I expected more from control. i liked captains pike future when he touched the time crystal, but we didnt get to see it.
    the season final was not really the ending i would have like to see. its confusing to say the least. i wanted more. hopefully they come up with a better story for season 3.

15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Quite the opposite for me @WhiteLightning haha. I feel the season 2 was trully a step up, loved it :oops:

WhiteLightning likes this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As probably everyone knows, Season 1 was pretty bad for me. Every time they tried to establish something/someone, they broke it right after or at most in next episode.
    Characters had pretty bad scripts, and story moved in bad chunks... making finale look rushed and characters betraying their own characteristics. (Maybe they wanted to make it look like they did overcome their own self, but it came out pretty miserably.)

Similar thing could be said about Season 2, but at least characters kept their characteristics much better. There were some real ST episodes which I loved. But story itself moved again super slow and in tiny bits since "Finale" would be in episode 4 otherwise.
    Therefore I can say that I like Season 2 quite a bit. (One can skip Season 1 w/o loss of anything important as much as most of TWD "Farm" Season.)

17. yeah, the hint was when Leeland dies couple episodes back and the AI (Control) that kills him says "Resistance is pointless" (Old Borg line was Resistance is futile)

Keitosha likes this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If anyone is interested in: "Why STD re-discovers wheel?"

19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Just watched the last episode and... hmmmm. Is that the best way to describe it?

So the space battle was awesome, it's almost like they were trying to out do The Orville which in itself was seeing if it could out do what previous Treks had done but yes liked it a lot, however the pacing was all over the place. Making it a two part epsiode and then having the first part be a slow pace everyone saying goodbye followed by the bravdo 'you won't do this alone we are your friends' was so tiring to watch, and the reason was because person they were saying goodbye to is so... well unlikeable. Captain Pike's final words as Discovery enters the time vortex had more of an emotional impact than anything that happened in the episode before it and yes I am agreeing with many that Georgiou is now being playing on a level that can only be describe as Dr Evil from the Austin Powers movies. If she had just made a statement and walked away as Leeland died, but no she actually stood there and laughed. Their is focused evil, their is maniacal evil and then their is James Bond comically bad guy who lives in a volcano layer evil and she is now firmly in this category.

The final arc about Burnhiem having to go back in time to lay the foundations to make the plan work was actually pretty good, however it required an early worrying theory which I thought the story had quashed a few episodes ago to become the case. That the Red Angel was in fact Burnhiem. I guess when they said that the show was going to focus on Burnhiem they were not kidding. This in turn ties in to a few issues with both the closing of the show's season and what's going to happen next.

How on Earth can they keep making the entire season arc be about one person, it was different for the first season, looked like they may have tried to tone it down for the second until they went full in for the last 4 episodes but can they really do this again for the third season?

Talking of the third, well anyone get the impression from the closing moments of that season that they were really not expecting to get a third? That they were tying up loose ends and trying to right the continuity errors introduced by Discovery. I mean they didn't really go stupidly out of the way to do it. It's not uncommon for events in the real world to be classified and all knowledge of them to be locked away and never spoken of and when you have the ability to time travel introduced in a Sci-fi the old trope is usually travel in time and fix whatever you broke.

Thinking more about the third season, The last two episodes stated that their was no way they could bring Discovery back, does that mean the next season is going to be them 900 years in the future exploring the Beta Quadrant?

Some final thoughts

- I still do not see why Burnhiem has to be tied to Spock. In fact the entire season arc and last seasons arc could have been done without having to have some tenuous tie to characters, vessels and features of previous Treks.

- I am so glad that Control did not turn out to be a Borg origin story.

- Hopefully they are now going to stop introducing stuff in to the show that they then have to work furiously to try and back peddle on. Spore drive, holographic comms, etc. Either introduce it and stick to it or don't introduce it at all but stop bringing stuff in and then working out ways to write it back out again.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Fox2232, Icanium and Loobyluggs like this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @The Laughing Ma : I do agree. After 1st season and things they pulled in 2nd season, they had to do cleanup to ensure that Trek does not suffer damage in case this show is not renewed for 3rd season.

Here's another wrong thing they tried to sell to us. Discovery can go back same way they went there. Or they can travel anywhere they wish. It is not like there are no other time crystals where they went.

I hope that in 3rd season they stop being Burnham centric. But considering her mother...

Edit: And considering Sansa letting out dogs on Ramsay and her facial expression... I think one does not necessarily needs to be evil to behave that way.