Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Sorry I was going with the little girl gets robot body and it's set in a futuristic setting but having looked in to it it seems that that was way to much of a generalisation and that they are in fact very different. and yes GITS the movie was very poor, very very poor indeed.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In that general level, I do agree. But other than that, characters are very different. In GiTS Major is fully artificial (non-organic). In Battle Angel, everyone needs brain.
    Then Major is cold, calculating, strategist... Alita is opposite as she gets "reset", even if it is just for a while. And her battle ability is not strategic, it is tactical.

For me, main issue with GiTS Movie is in them taking "cool action scenes" and told themselves: "This is cool, we have to have it in our movie." but ultimately fail at coherence of story.
    In contrast to that, Battle Angel does not exactly copy combat scenes. What it has almost 1:1 are those character defining moments around. I think that 1st scene which is like 2 minutes long (on scrapyard) perfectly showcases intention to preserve atmosphere as closely as possible.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I actually found the whole movie to be a bit of joke. I did find it enjoyable, minus all the Black Panther 'filler' segments, which I skipped. Oh and the 'Thor goes to get a new hammer' sequence which was just more filler.

The problem I had with the movie is that Iron Man has a laser cutting tech in his suit he used at the end of Iron Man 2, and that easily could have cut off someone's arm, or head, or just a series of limbs - yet, they did not employ using it.

When Thanos was temporarily put to 'sleep', DR Strange could have just opened a portal around his arm and then closed it, slicing the arm clean off. Again, they did not employ using it.

Entertaining movie, but beset by stupid movie logic that totally deflates any levity it attained.

I mean...didn't anyone have a ******* sword? Y'know, one of those basic hunks of metal steel to cut the arm off?

4. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Recently rewatched John Wick and John Wick 2 on my 4k hdr, really great films, love the fight on the train in John Wick 2 the way it ends is class. I can't wait for John Wick Chapter 3 I think it's currently my most anticipated movie for this year, love how they used Andy Williams - The Impossible Dream on the trailer as well, an oldie but what a tune, can't wait for May!

jbmcmillan and fantaskarsef like this.

5. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Sorry but I have too

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those 3 movies are quite different. Overlord is action movie. Outpost attempts to be horror. And Dead Snow is going for comedy.
    That means Dead Snow is nowhere near Overlord as it is very different genre. And Outpost has production quality/camera work of Brazilian telenovele.

You could have as well mentioned WW One Deathwatch which is about "Evil". And is in horror theme well above Outpost. And quality is much higher too.

Overlord for all it is stands as solid 7.5/10 movie. If someone expected to see comedy or horror, then that someone badly misjudged trailer. Hell, trailer even gives some steampunk vibe.

7. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
  8. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Good news.
    I got the update from change.org. I had signed their online petition to Dizzy, so when change org got the news they updated those who had signed but the update when to my spam box so I did not see it until after reading your post. It will be interesting to see how his Suicide Squad does compared to GOTG3.
    https://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-3-taika-waititi-james-gunn-rehired/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    The Laughing Ma likes this.
  9. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Thing is some more news about it popping up suggests the decision to rehire him was made a few months ago. It all looks like Disney / Marvel knew they f'd up when they did the reactionary firing to these bunch of trolls.

10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Gantz:O. I first saw the poster and saw that it was 3D animation and I thought that it was going to be bad. Berserk kinda bad... Nope. Totally wrong. Awesome CG animation. Can't believe Gantz got this CG treatment while Berserk, a more popular anime ( I think) and just better anime, gets shafted with one of the most horrible CG animation in existence.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    [​IMG]
    One of the best erotic dramas of the 80s, a deep look into sex obsession betrayal, loneliness and pragmatism, a very unusual film, theresa russell is amazing in this one

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    One of my favorite movie scenes from a few years back :D

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    This is out now, trying to arrange to see it soon, looks cool

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Which had the better finale seen. Bonnie and Clyde 1967 Vs. The Highwaymen 2019. I really can't decide. Spoilers obviously.

15. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Both brutal scenes, more Rag Doll in Bonnie & Clyde and the car ends up looking like swiss cheese which I think is better than The Highwaymen but overall I think The Highwaymen wins for realism and I enjoyed the symbolism when his foot comes off the pedal and the way the car starts moving, it's that little touch that does it for me.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    jbscotchman likes this.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    While not a movie CBS' Twilight Zone has returned, and I must say the first episode was very, very good.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @jbscotchman : Highwaymen is pretty good movie. It shows that there was nothing epic/heroic about B&C and way they were ended.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Not sure if it belongs here but this looks like it could be good.

Amaze, fantaskarsef and Fox2232 like this.
  19. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Another movie i'm looking forward to and I love how they used another oldie but great song, Jimmy Durante - Smile

fantaskarsef and jbscotchman like this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Hellboya-Majesty 2019:
    1st 4minutes 9/10
    then 5minutes 3/10
    afterwards 30minutes 5/10
    next ~30 minutes 7/10
    another ~30 minutes 4/10
    finale ~8minutes 2/10