Monoprice 27772 32" 4k stuck at 1280x720

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by lfe, Dec 31, 2018.

1. lfe

lfe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050i
    I bought the Monoprice 27772 and have connected it to several laptops (one of which is the Dell XPS 15 9560 with HDMI 1.4). I have been unable to get any resolution except 1280x720. When connected to my LGTV 50", my XPS 15 has no issue doing 1920x1080, but as soon as I connect my XPS 15 to the Monoprice 27772, the max resolution is still 1280x720. I've done everything from extend screen, update latest video drivers, ensured HDMI cables are high speed with ethernet, tried both Monoprice 27772 HDMI ports, and worked with Monoprice customer support.

I sent back the monitor and Monoprice was great, sending a replacement within 7 business days. Unfortunately the new replacement also has the same issue. After googling like crazy and trying everything, I am still unable to get any resolution above 1280x720 on any of my laptops with 1.4 HDMI (that are all able to do resolutions beyond 1280x720 on other monitors and TVs).

I have been unable to isolate the issue except to think that the monitor itself is unable to go beyond 1280x720.
    Note that I do NOT want to use the DP port. I want to connect via HDMI.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Okay, but does it work with a DP cable? If you get proper resolution with the DP cable, obviously the monitor is capable of displaying the proper resolution and the issue is specific to HDMI.

Also, have you tried connecting this to a desktop PC? I've seen all sorts of funky issues with laptops that I've never had with a desktop.

Deleted member 213629 and lfe like this.
  3. lfe

lfe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050i
    Unfortunately I do NOT have any DP cable or Thunderbolt3 to DP adapter, so I am unable to check this.

I also do NOT have a desktop PC to check, but that is a good point as well (to check with a desktop).

4. lfe

lfe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050i
    It is definitely not a cable issue. I have tried with 3 different HDMI cables (one of which was included with the monitor and states it is high speed with ethernet). They are able to achieve higher resolutions on other monitors.

5. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    One more thing you might try - disable the laptop display when connected to an external monitor. That shouldn't matter, but I have random issues with my Surface Laptop running my QHD monitors in FHD when I try to keep the Surface display active while docked.

6. lfe

lfe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050i
    Just tried. I set it to "second screen only". Under both Windows display settings and Intel Graphics Control Panel, resolution is still stuck and greyed out at 1280x720.

I've tried both HDMI ports, bought several more HDMI cables JUST to be sure, and it's still a no go.

I will be purchasing a displayport cable tonight. If that fails, then I know it must be the monitor. If it succeeds, then the problem is likely the HDMI ports on the monitor.

I did notice that freesync was also greyed out (instead of ON/OFF), but I do not have an AMD graphics card.

7. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RT-6900XT LC
    I just bought 2 of these last week (they were on sale for $319 ea) to use as a dual monitor setup for my desktop PC (i7-8700k, RTX2080Ti XC Hybrid). Reading about the issues these seem to have with HDMI I also got 2 8K capable Display Port cables. No issues running 1080p or 4k over DP.

Sam

8. lfe

lfe Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050i
    Yes, I got a thunderbolt DP cable and it displays beyond the 1280x720 resolution just fine.

Have you tried with just the HDMI cable? If so, would love to hear your results if able to get resolutions beyond 1280x720.

9. scajjr2

scajjr2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RT-6900XT LC
    No I haven't though I may give it a try when I get some time later this week.

Sam

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Resolution limitation sounds like there's no secure HDMI connection to the monitor, and the DRM (HDCP) is preventing anything over 720p. Maybe something is disabled on the monitor's OSD Menu? Did you check the EDID in CRU, which may have missing EDID entries for 1080p?