Epic launcher collects Steam friends & play history

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Resetera’s member Madjoki discovered stumbled into the intersting find that pic Launcher is collecting players’ Steam friends and play history. Going into more details, Madjoki f...

Epic launcher collects Steam friends & play history

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And that after their big user data breach in 2017? 18? And wegpages from 2004 who were still online last year and vulvernable?
    Ask me again if I why I have not the least interest to install that POS software.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    The same applies on most of the applications. They sniff steam folder, link user/friends ids and suggest each others.
    I think Discord, Ubisoft launcher do the same at least.

But whatever, easy to hate on Epic launcher. Crowd will love this.

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Discord and ubi haven't lost my data yet. So... yes, I love it. Another piece of circumstantial evidence. Feel free to enjoy your Epic launcher and games :)

ManuKey and airbud7 like this.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thank you.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Ah, yes, the good old "they did it first, so it must be okay" excuse people learn in kindergarten at the very latest.

They might have wanted to add it as a voluntary feature instead, requiring pressing "Yes" with the option of choosing "No" readily available.

lucidus and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    And you think that's OK?

ManuKey likes this.
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    No.

Below should be enforced, with Steam API in between for authorization.
    Issue is, unless Steam bother to encrypt user data, nobody gives a damn. So I'd rather wonder, why Steam doesn't care about out personal data. Why there no encryption? Why any application can sniff all our Steam data, without requiring Steam to authorize it?

Simpsons did it first.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You mean steam encrypting their data on our local hard drives so that other programs can't read them, even though they're neither supposed or wished to do so without user consent? Just trying to understand what in particular you want encrypted.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Besides Epic launcher scanning it (After you press the freaking button mind you, not by default) , the problem is more with steam tbh.

Why on earth do Steam allow 3rd party programs to access Steam cloud and scan for all your games?
    If Epic launcher is able to do it, so is anyone else!

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh I missed that they scan the cloud as well, my fault @sverek

airbud7 likes this.
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Steam is clearly the 1st faulty (again and again and again... it must not be coincidencial...) and Epic is not smart be the second one.

Anyway when it's cloud and not secured, it might happen (Despite i hate Steam, it is sadly not the only one)...

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I do not ever remember consenting to/through steam that my information was just up for the grabs of third party software.

*Hold for a bit!!!!

"Goes and writes his own sniffing software for steam and its inability to properly store accessible information" Just had to make sure i got ahead of the masses on this one....

And it would seem that Facebook just got "F'd in the A" with its inability to keep their users data private and or from being douches and trying to sell that garbage..... Facebook.....HA!!! Die social media..... Maybe then people can understand what its like to actually talk to someone face to face on a regular basis.

14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Companies are finding all sorts of ways to make $$$ on our personal information and habits.

Everyone is doing it. Some more carefully than others.

ManuKey likes this.
  15. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    Sure don't miss the constant emails from Epic saying someone is trying to hack my account.
    Uninstalled that POS forever.

fantaskarsef, ManuKey and RzrTrek like this.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    If I had to guess, I would say it's by design - they allow third party apps to scan user data for integration purposes. It is a little troubling how much data can be gleaned this way, but I guess they want a flexible approach (get lots of data, and then use what you need).

I'm pretty sure that if Valve didn't want other apps sniffing for data they would have implemented the necessary security measures. I can't imagine that this is an oversight.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    And here I thought I was the only one!?

18. ivan

ivan Guest

Which is part of the reason why I said NO to the new Metro game

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It is assumed that if you install software on your computer, you trust that software. Which makes sense. You wouldn't install spyware willingly, would you? If you do, and it collects your data, you can't blame Steam or anyone else. You can only blame yourself.

If the Epic launcher would be blocked by anti-virus software, that would be great. But we all know this won't happen. Not all spyware is created equal; it depends on who makes the spyware.

20. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    ahaha no surprise since TENCENT, a chinese shareholding communist company own a part of Epic, if you read about Tencent, you will see what kind of rubbish company they are...

RzrTrek likes this.