Vega 56 Selection.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rudlin, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Good evening,
    I think it is time for me to splash some money for a new GPU, and I think my choice would be Vega 56 (paired with my i5-4690k) hopefully to serve me 3-5 years to come.

My question would be ... which Vega 56 should I go with? I'm not interested with over clocking. All I want is affordable and reliable card.

Thanks!

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Any particular reason why go with vega56? If you can wait little bit more amd is preparing Navi gpus that would offer more performance per watt.

If you cant wait nvidia gpu lineup is better atm. Rtx2060 or 2070 would be a great gpu to play with.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Asus Rog Strix RX Vega 56 OC 8GB HBM2 Gaming, some gamers swear by it.

4. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Thanks. I think I'll sit it out then this generation. I don't mind, just hope my old one doesn't croak before then.

5. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Nice card, slightly pricey though. I will check it out in more detail!

6. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    All you have to do is steer away from the Gigabyte Vega 56. The Gigabyte edition is know to have tons of problem albeit that they are and a lot of people take the gamble and hope for a good card.

7. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for the future. I usually go with Sapphire cards. 3 years lifespan and then Diablo 1 afterwards maximum.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    For a 180$ you can grab a rx580 8gb, it will play every game maxed out at 1080p but it wont last long you wanted, maybe two years max, still that a steal.

9. Grim_2o0o

Grim_2o0o Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 Nitro +
    I've seen the Sapphire Nitro + Vega 56 on Overclockers UK, was £389 but probably the fair few dollars less on US markets. I was nVidia for life but sinc ethey've made the control panel nice to use I switchd to a Sapphire card and it's insanely quiet, my case is well ventilated and it never goes above 40-50 C. :D

10. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    In terms or reliability - which cards last longer under normal usage conditions? I mainly use AMD cards, but it seems three years is tops for these cards in my case. Would I would be able squeeze more out of Nvidia cards? Cheers

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not at all. You must have heard about slang "amd fine wine". Their cards are all the same arch, gcn1/5 and their driver support is better. Nvidia tend to leave older generations behind in order you to upgrage.