Nvidia Ends 3D Vision And Mobile Kepler Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 11, 2019.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I guess that spells the offical end to the "3D" tv / monitor fad. doesn't make much sense with vr around I suppose

I wouldn't say so, the maintence burden of GCN is far lower than VLIW, Much of the driver code is shared across all GCN variations. I would say there is a decent chance nothing gcn will be "dropped" for a while, maybe even until gcn is replaced completely, There isn't much reason too until then.

Fox2232 and warlord like this.
  2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    3D has been dead for years when it comes to gaming, developer support has been nonexistent.

Still, I enjoyed playing through Crysis 2/3 in 3D and Bulletstorm was also great in 3D, can’t say I’m overly bothered by its demise however.

3. jordan199

jordan199 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
    3D is not dead, even the last Shadow of the Tomb Raider has native support. Just check the word helixmod and you will find a big lot of 3D Vision Ready games.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    no offense but that fact that I have never met a single person irl that used a 3D display for anything other than movies in the past 9 years that it has been available. The only time I've ever seen it used for gaming, was a demo in a computer store, once.

its pretty dead imo, even if games support it.

5. jordan199

jordan199 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
    I know we are probably over 1000 in the world. But after playing stereoscopic it's impossible to turn back, the cerebral cortex refuse 2D.

6. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I have one, the Asus VG248QE, with the 3D Vision kit that I got for $20 on a whim. It was barely usable on the games that supported it best, and was unusable on anything else. You needed to maintain a solid 120fps (60fps per eye) at 1080p to even get it to work, and even when I got my 1080Ti that was iffy on a lot of the games that worked well. On most games you often had textures that would "pop" out of 3D, and the motion blur was stomach-turning. I quickly switched over to ULMB mode instead of high refresh, and only went back a few times just to see if it had gotten better. It never did.

7. @man_daddio

@man_daddio Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti 11Gb
    I think the technology is cool but I have VR now. 360 Roomscale is way better than sitting. But that is my opinion. Desktop gaming is not that appealing to me anymore so I can feel for those who have loved their 3D gaming over the years. I am sure someone else will come along to accomodate 3D. But if games would embrace VR then everyone could at least have a more immersive experience even if they have to play sitting, if they so choose. It is not easy porting not VR games to VR though unless the engine/coding accomodates it already. Made for VR is usually best.

8. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    I have a Philips 3D monitor with passive glasses. It's fun, but the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

9. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Guess I'm in the minority then, I still use it to watch 3D movies (space documentaries are fun).

As for games, I've hardly used it for 3D, but having 120Hz for first person shooters is great, especially with strobelight (light boost enabled) for low ghosting.

10. msm903

msm903 Guest

GPU:
    16 GB
    While I understand that for many people this is not an issue, for a small number of us 3D vision users, this is disappointing, while I do own a few VR headsets, as of recent I have gone back to my 3D Vision setup. Much easier to put on a pair of glasses and enjoy almost any (community fixed game) than jumping into VR for the few selected games that work well and I enjoy.
    For the last 10 years 3D Vision is the one sole reason I purchase Nvidia cards even at the premium cost they carry. I have tried games I would have never thought of because of stereoscopic 3D, and avoided games because of the lack of it. In fact 3D Vision is the reason why I tend to buy PC versions instead of their console versions, and why in some cases i have purchased both versions.

Anyway the writing has been on the wall for a while, but it still stings a alot.

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I hope you're right but people claimed the same with Terascale 1 being similar to Terascale 2 back when the DX10 cards were dropped.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Fox2232
    I can only go by what i (or customers) experienced using ps4 in vr,
    and the most impact is "low res" (1080p) and low fov.
    Sure its possible to ignore fov, but its not helping the experience when you can only see things straight ahead (without moving your head).
    Same with ppl using vr to fly drones or game on pc (that i talked to), they all say at least 4k res so not to see pixels or have the IQ reduced because of low res.

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Different senario, by the point terascale 1 was dropped gcn was already out for a while, that and amd was bleeding money at time.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    VR immersion comes exactly from that one thing people you mention complain about. From view changing as you move your head.

Experiencing VR in way that one expects not to move head around is very passive. One can as well watch TV.

What you described is pretty hard sell. Even with high FoV, those people will still not like interactivity and expect to have static joy ride.

Then it should be understood that FoV vs. Angular resolution is trade-off. Higher FoV requires proportionally higher resolution to keep same pixel density per degree of vision.
    And having this as priority results in steep price as result. Which often puts those who want it that way away.
    So, what's point in making expensive VR headset if people will not buy it?
    They did not buy it back then and will not buy it now.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    i didnt mean so i dont have to move my head, i mean the limitations that come with it.
    any pilot or even police/mil ppl using NV googles will state the same. limited awareness as you have tunnel vision,
    and having to constantly move your head just to see what i normally would see without moving my head (when not wearing hs).
    e.g. the vr missions in ace combat incl HMD feature, mimicking F35/22 tracking (off boresight firing) just by looking at the target.
    but its almost useless, as i cant see enough to the side that i can make use of the HMD/missiles capability without having to move my head.
    its not as bad as playing missions outside vr (as i have to change the ACs direction to see "more" of the sky, which takes longer than moving my head),
    but enough for me and ppl demoing it, to notice.

same for res. its just not enough. im not talking about 8K oleds, but at least 4K, to make it less pixelated.
    and ppl are willing to pay more (not just me alone) to have those things improved.
    sure, everyone else (eg.g large portion of market) is usually happy with something like the 200$ ps4 vr (which also works on pc) anyway, but i rather pay a little more, to get something im actually "happy" with.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

16. Constantin Jurcut

Constantin Jurcut Guest

GPU:
    8GB GEFORCE GTX 108
    [​IMG]

If you have had the chance to see how any game looks in real 3D, I'm pretty sure you will find really difficult... no, impossible to go back to playing in flat 2D (not even if that 2D is 4K, 8K or even 180K).

I bought my first gaming 3D device sometime around 2000.

I remember the glasses looking very bulky. It didn't matter.

It was a revelation!

For the first time, I was able to understand how lucky we are to have two eyes. With the help of the new 3D technology, I was inside the virtual worlds created by the game developers. I wasn't anymore just looking at some moving flat images.

As games evolved and became nicer and nicer, the stereoscopic 3D made more and more sense. Volumetric fog, rain, snow, lights, shadows, transparency, all became worthy of being introduced in the games.

I bought my first Play Station 3 only because I was keen to play Avatar in 3D...

As for the VR, I pre-ordered my Oculus Rift when the commercial version was first available. Yes, it was cool in the beginning. But, the inferior resolution, the bulkiness of the heavily wired headset and the lack of full experiences made me use it less and less.

In its current state, the VR can't yet beat the 3D Vision experience.

The enjoyment of playing games like the Witcher 2 and 3, Madmax, Fallout, Skyrim, Tomb Raider etc, etc, on a big screen 3D tv (together with a friend/friends, partner/wife) cannot be currently surpassed.

For this, I'm grateful to NVidia for making this possible.

I'm even more grateful to the guys at Helix Mod:
    http://helixmod.blogspot.com/
    During many years, they have passionately used their own time and energy to keep the 3D alive. All this for free!

Dear NVidia,

Please, please don't kill your most gorgeous child!

[​IMG]

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1102231/geforce-drivers/nvidia-please-don-t-kill-3d-vision-/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1101775/3d-vision/future-of-3d-vision-support-official-announcement-from-nvidia-/