Nvidia Ends 3D Vision And Mobile Kepler Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you bought a 3D Monitor (many) years ago, then much like most such technologies it is ending the way of the dodo. NVIDIA is halting support for 3D Vision. NVIDIA will also halt supporting Mobile K...

Nvidia Ends 3D Vision And Mobile Kepler Support

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why stop there nvidia. Halt the maxwell support too when you are at it. Dont forget the desktop cards. :D

3. kcajjones

kcajjones Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1.28GB
    I've never known anyone personally who had an Nvidia 3d vision setup and I've not seen it advertised in many years!
    I wonder if we'll get some nostalgic youtubers testing it out in 2019...

4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well it is the same release period with HD7000 series. With Navi release AMD will also move HD7000 series into legacy. Don't forget AMD is one generation behind NVIDIA.

5. Monstieur

Monstieur Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA
    I play every game in 3D when possible and just bought a new 3D Vision monitor this year.

6. loser7

loser7 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I do not have a 3D vision monitor but I played a lot of games with the red/blue glasses which 3D vision allowed you to do on a regular monitor. Some games didn't work great, but others worked extremely well, it was pretty awesome. Sad this tech is gonna die out. 3D vision is a great middle ground between standard gaming and VR.

7. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I have an old 3D vision setup. Games were ok, but 3D photography is amazing. You get so much more from some pictures in 3D.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have never seen a 3D monitor.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I still have Asus G51J 3D "capable" laptop with GTX 260M. Even without 3D it was struggling to play newer games and with 3D something around 20 fps. It came with 3D glasses but they have been sitting in the bag now for nine years.

10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well isn't any 120 hz monitor capable of 3d? it should.
    I bought my first 3d monitor and i bought 3d monitor only since that day, because of the higher refresh.
    I thought that high fps gaming monitor was just a new name for the 3d.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well dont you feel silly right now. :D

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Are they going to halt RTX support soon as well? ;)

On a serious note, it's kinda sad they are dropping 3D Vision support, but understandable. It's too bad for those that still use and enjoy it regularly, but the 3D craze has died down, there are almost no monitors or TVs sold with 3D tech anymore, etc..
    My 3D TV that worked with 3D Vision died a couple of years back, too, haven't used it since then.
    I'm just hoping the 3D movie craze in cinemas will be halted soon, too, so I can go watch any film without my eyes getting sore again (that or use high-framerate 3D, that Hobbit movie that used that tech didn't hurt my eyes at all).

Ending Mobile Kepler support is a bit rough for those with Kepler-based latpops, but at least if the Desktop version still remains in the drivers, they might be moddable for the affected mobile parts as well.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    mezball likes this.
  13. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I bought a 3D monitor and nvidia glasses back in the day. I used the 3D mode 4 times in total then sacked it off and just used 2D 120hz instead

14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    My (3 year old?) Asus VG248QE (144hz) is apparently a 3D monitor. Big "3D" logo on the pedestal. I've never used that feature and I'm honestly not even sure how I would go about it. lol

airbud7 likes this.
  15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Kepler was their flagship in 2012 and 2013, and sure has aged by now, but I do hope they won't drop desktop Kepler anytime soon. I wonder why they do drop mobile though if still supporting desktop officially.

Fermi never got another Legacy driver either during its one year Legacy support.

16. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Just seems like removing a feature, a niche feature but nonetheless it's still a feature that some might still use, personally I haven't played with 3d vision for years but all my screens support 3d vision2 as well as Gsync, honestly I don't see the point of ending support if it means they are removing 3d vision from the drivers, it's like what's next Physx I mean it was hardly successful and only supported in a hand full of games and if you compare Physx support to 3d Vision there's actually more games that support 3d vision out of the box than supports Physx right now so shall we scrap Physx next and hairworks shall we scrap that too? How about we just scrap everything apart from RTX that should get people upgrading, seriously whats the point?

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Please don't say things that have no backup or that's off topic...It's only going to cause problems...

sykozis and warlord like this.
  18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Dropping mobile Kepler kind of makes sense; it's a little soon, but most of those GPUs at this point aren't really worth anything. It's really quite amazing how much progress has been made since then, where the 780Ti and Titan are pretty much the only Nvidia GPUs from that era that still manage to keep up.
    3D vision could've been better if Nvidia marketed it harder, and as usual, didn't make it an exclusive proprietary tech. It was a very affordable alternative to VR and I assume less nausea-inducing.

So far, the only proprietary technologies of Nvidia's I'm aware of where they really won in the long run were SLI (which makes sense to be proprietary) and CUDA. Everything else either has/will die(d) out or be(en) replaced by a more widely supported standard. You'd think they'd learn by now.

The really weird part is they never seem to really take advantage of their technologies in any of the consoles they had hardware in. Though, PS3 was a year too early to take advantage of stuff like PhysX (that would've really given it an edge).

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Two less things to uncheck during installation then? :p

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Used to own a 3d monitor, a Samsung s27a950d that came with 3d glasses. Bought it for the 120hz, not for the 3d. Tried the 3d once and never again after that. Anyway, nice to know there is one less item to uncheck in Nvidias driver installation.