Ray Tracing on 4 Titan Vs (in a miniITX case)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by venturi, Mar 8, 2019.

1. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Ray Tracing is alive and well in Metro Exodus at 4k on my 4 Titan Vs. I'm sure ray tracing will eventually get better, but I'm not sold on it yet.

Asus c621e sage
    Dual Xeon 8180M
    384GB of ram
    4x Titan V including Titan V CEO ed 32GB
    960pro nvme (OS)
    10x SSD RAID (Apps and Backup 8x 2x )
    1600W PSU (digital) noiseless
    MS 2019 Data Center, Ubuntu
    TT miniITX case

https://i.**********/G3z9PRry/IMG-9230.jpg

r20 world record (both top scores are mine, the lower one was before I made some bios changes)
    https://i.**********/bN7PkVGn/IMG-9263.jpg

for size reference
    https://i.**********/pdXPLhhc/IMG-9068.jpg

https://i.**********/Pqc0nPmw/IMG-9013.jpg

I had to relocate storage and power to the back
    https://i.**********/bvGFgpKN/IMG-9019.jpg

cool running temps
    https://i.**********/y8xf676X/IMG-9061.jpg

I'm not really impressed with DLSS and Ray Tracing (RTX) yet. Despite the most amount of power on a single desktop pc, I can't do better than 49fps average at 4k with max eye candy rtx Ultra (no DLSS). With DLSS the image quality sucks. Ray tracing seems to be such a burden and it struggles to get 49fps average at 4k max eye candy and rtx ultra. - and I'm not convinced its really earth shatteringly better compared to no ray tracing (so far). Ray tracing should improve with time, but DLSS (foundation/underpinnings) seems a joke.
    I realize theres is a patch for metro that improves ray tracing performance, but I have not installed it yet. I am currently running on version 1.0 of metro exodus.

Anyhow.... not impressed with Ray Tracing and/or DLSS (so far....)

disclaimer: This is just my observations on what I built/have. Other folksy may build the same and get a different opinion. I'm not out to upset other folks that may really think the world of DLSS.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Awesome setup bud very cool, I built my mine but yours is beyond my capabilities ... lol. Have fun with it, Peace.

3. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I don't think Ray Tracing supports SLI at the moment, I could be wrong, but I haven't managed to get it to work at least! Im guessing you could heat your home with that bad boy in the winter!

4. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    I'm not running it as sli in metro.

My choices as I approach a game are:

• Single gpu
    • Mgpu - built better than others - like Ashes of the Singularity
    • Mgpu- bad developer build - battlefield, tomb raider, Deus Ex
    • Mgpu- favoring a single card vendor - strange brigade, hitman
    • Auto-diff-SLI using AFR, with my own profile

5. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    How well does it scale from 1 card to 4 cards? Would love to see video, thanks.

Holy cow, Awesome stuff you got there bud.

6. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    Nice clean system!

When you get bored of those components...just send them to me and I will put them in a home for hardware.

7. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Scaling sucks

So, it depends on engine and developer.

* With auto diff sli (hyper sli) the best case I get is almost 3x in some games.
    * With mgpu DX12 I get 3.3x in some games, the other 90% get less than 1.5x. DX12 mgpu is awful.
    * With Vulkan mgpu it is 3.7x scaling. But only one game (1) actually does vulkan mgpu so that sucks. Further its not an exceptional game (Strange Brigade)

so, scaling with titan v sucks

However, on my Titan XP 4x build, on some games I get 2.7-3.5x scaling. As I don't have to resort to hyper SLI (auto diff sli)

Please search forum and read the my post on Pascal quad SLI and see what is involved with that.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    What a sexy beast of a rig!

9. animeowns

animeowns Member

GPU:
    Titan
    I remember that pascal titan xp 4 way post thanks for the help venturi. It was a blast running 3way titanxp. Would you recommend I get 2x 2080ti or 2x titan rtx for just pure gaming 4k 144hz display ?

10. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Short answer:
    For just gaming I would go with the 2080ti

Long answer:

The 24gb of ram of the titan rtx will never get used in a game even on an 5k and 8k. By the time 8k is a normal desktop feature the titan rtx will be old old news.

You have to have a specific need to justify that expense. If it’s just for giggles then that’s different.

I’m a little different, I have to straddle two worlds.

There are other things to consider

Sli can be awesome, but there are cloudy issues to contend with.

The promise of mgpu from Microsoft dx12 is crap. Only ashes of the singularity Implimented it. ALL other dx12 mgpu games are dependent on sli being enabled and then the feature set is at best AFR. For Vulkan only strange brigade has an implementation and it was written to heavily favor AMD.

DLSS is also crap and a marketing stunt (Reduce resolution and the scale back up)

So I’m going to give you strange advice.

Buy 2 2080ti.

You’ll get a better overall experience

Around summer 2017 the age of sli died. At the same time the trek of crossfire also died. Game engines got different feature sets and some of these don’t really work in AFR. Which is a shame because with 5k and 8k resolutions it nearly impossible to get max eye candy and fps. Both makers milked the mining craze and all sorts of schemes to sell cards took place since folks where in the “shut up and take my money” phase. So here we are:

2 card makers. One underfunded and not much for R&D with lots of promises (amd announced the 340v pro dual gpu last April... has anyone actually installed one?) Another maker flush but full of gamesmanship and video cards priced at 10k+. No third or fourth player (intel won’t amount to much because there is no community, developer, and retail ecosystem for them). So nvidia will charge the most they can because they are 4 years ahead of AMD. Games are all rented (steam, ea, origin etc) and no one craves the eye candy when it’s steam or origin online play. Games aren’t really owned with pride, there no real support from steam, and for 69.99 you still don’t get to finish a game unless you pay your extra.

So
    Save the money.

If you must build a sentient life, then go for 4 titan rtx or titan v and do soft sli You can do nvidia gpu cloud stuff, some convoluted neural networks, and maybe write a dissertation while working full time.

But at the end of the day you’ll get a better experience with just the 2080tis

Sorry for the long answer,

the past was more fun

Valken, Koniakki and SSJBillClinton like this.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Holy f...

1) Why is this case considered mini ITX?

2) Wouldn't even a tiny fan blowing over GPU's nicely help with temps. Yeah I get that the case is well open, and the heat does not build up same as in enclosed, but still...

12. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX

1) Themaltake sells it as a P1 - miniITX case. Its about 13x15 in size.

2) the temps are amazingly cool, silent PC (you would not know its running in the same rooom) its an open design, no trapped heat. Please check my medium load temps in pic

https://i.**********/9FnZZyGk/IMG-9061.jpg

13. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Sick stuff. Give me a rundown of the cost just for giggles!

14. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    its best you don't know

Undying likes this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Hehe you are right. Keep that number for yourself. :D

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Hey venturi! I also remember the previous TitanXP 4-way SLI quest you had embarked on!

Awesome stuff as usual. That mini nuclear power plant "P1" build you got there must surely pack some seriously strong performance per volume numbers... :D

If it's not too much trouble or even better if you have them written down to a document or something, it would be amazing if you could provide what/the optimizations(registry, DCOM, GP(local security/privacy, speed policies etc) you did, just for speed/privacy mostly interested in, since my setup is also edited/tuned through same/similar means(exc DCOM) and I would love to see yours.

Even just the mostly impactful/important ones would be more than appreciated.

Making an educated guess here, I would say about $20-25k give or take a couple thousand, just for the hardware alone. :p

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019