HTC vive

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by tensai28, Jan 20, 2019.

1. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Opening a HTC vive topic since there doesn't seem to be any. Feel free to talk anything vive related.

2. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm really loving rec room paintball. Looking for any other online shooters like this but with better graphics and not so cartoony. Anyone know any? Don't really like those realistic reloading shooter games as it's too much of a pain to use the gun.

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I really like my Vive but I quickly realised your PC needs to be good as enabling super sampling really improves the image.
    I started with a 980ti but upgraded to a 1080ti which really helped my RTX2080 is about the same as my old 1080ti but I am hoping as it matures it will get better.

purchased elite Dangerous hoping for some space VR fun or I may just get a sweat on killing cardboard zombies

tensai28 likes this.
  4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I tried rec room but wasn't finding it much fun, I like VRchat a lot though.

GTX 970 is barely powerful enough to run that though. It's good enough for 45fps in most games at default res.

tensai28 likes this.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Tha's why I'm loving the 2080ti. Every game so far I have running at 200-300% res at 90fps. How is elite dangerous? Thought about trying it.

Yeah 970 is the minimum requirement really for vr. 90fps is usually the target and will make the games feel more smooth and real.
    I also am just trying to get into vr chat but can't really find anything to do on it. Other than slenderman, there doesn't seem to be any games to play just a bunch of talking. I like rec room for the paintball really. Capture the flag is so much fun in vr.

Wish there was something else like that minus the cartoon look. Something like unreal tournament in vr.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You really need ED if you have VR headset, it is phenomenal in VR, if you want to know what it is like to be a space trucker flying through space, this game does it 100%, as slow game yes, and your jaw will drop the first time you fly your ship into a space dock, jsut amazing in VR.

Some more games you should grab in VR...
    Stra Trek Bridge crew
    Serious sam VR collection(in my view the best fps in VR yet, they got everything just right, controls, movement, game is awesome in VR).
    Dirt Rally (best Vr rally game out there)
    Arizona sunshine (best zombie VR game)
    If you like truck games the Euro truck and American truck have VR support now, and they are just awesome.
    Beat sabre (you want to know what real arm, back and leg pain is, get Beat sabre and watch as the years of sitting down to game catch up with you in minutes. lol

Just a few that i think are a must for VR owners. ;)

tensai28 likes this.
  7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've played arizona sunshine and and beat saber already. Heard about serious sam vr but it seemed like just a typical wave shooter. Also heard that bridge crew could get bad because the online community didn't take it seriously. Also what is ED?

If I am going to add some titles to the list to try I'd say:
    Talos principle vr
    counter fight
    job simulator
    budget cuts
    archangel
    robo recall
    lone echo
    form
    rick and morty
    arktica 1
    batman arkham vr
    Oculus exclusive titles work great with revive

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Lone echo, single player game is what Vr was made for.
    Robot recall, basically you in the movie I Robot.
    Job sim, is fun.
    Batman vr, is short, more a tech demo than actual game.
    Rick and morty i have no idea what its about.
    Talos principle, i have but as yet not tried it.
    Bridge crew is not really a fully fledged sim, but more a arcade game, some play it for fun, some play it like they have gone to Star fleet academy for 5 years.
    Serious Sam, a FPS and until you are walking about the worlds you won't know what your missing.

More games to add would be....
    From other suns......Basically Star Trek meets the steam game FTL, but in vr, with other players, its awesome.
    ED......you have VR you are required by law to own ED, but wait a bit, it is always going on sale so grab the deluxe verion next time.
    Pinball FX2vr on steam and the Oculus pinball Stern app, try that first as it is free and you can basically play all the tables free by earning tokens.

9. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    ED=Elite dangerous right? Okay, thanks I'll give it a try. Hows the controls on that? Work well with vive controllers or xbox one wireless? Also I realize batman vr was more of a tech demo but it was pretty damn impressive regardless. Makes me wish there was more to it. I loved lone echo but kept feeling it was a little not so immersive in the fact that I was still standing up feet on the ground. Playing that game on a pulley or something would be incredible I guess.

Also, I really wish we can get a form of movement for vr that allows us to walk. That is the number one thing vr is missing.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I use a xbox controller, works out of the box great, but ED also supports the Hotas gaming stick to, i have one but the xbox controller just works so i never got around to using the hotas.

tensai28 likes this.

11. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Just bought elite dangerous on steam sale for lunar new year thanks to your suggestion. Currently downloading. I just bought the standard version because I am not sure if I will like the game or not but is the dlc worth it?

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You get to land on planets and do planet based missions, but you can always pick it upbat a later date if you like it, i have yet to do a planet based mission yet, i just like to make a few million on casual delivery runs and i have about 100 hours in the game. Lol

13. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Have to say the optimization could be a little better. I am used to running my games at 90fps 200% res at least with my 2080ti but this game is getting capped at 45fps quite frequently. Also it's taking me a while to get used to the controls. Really want to get into it though.

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, first time i tried to enter a space station i was like a dog at the controls of a helicopter, same when landing on a planet, now i can do it in my sleep, and all i ever use is a xbox 360 joypad.......now i don't have a vive but like the rift there may be a way to stop it capping down to 45fps which on the rift is called asw, the vive might have the equivalent which you might be able to disable, check in the steamvr setting.

15. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    First time I tried ED with my vive I was terrified orbiting stars. You don't realize the scale. Someday I'll start a trek to Sagittarius A. I'm playing ED with a i5 9600k and a 2070, with the graphics maxed out. I do have to play with the pixel density at times, situation depending, but combat plays at 90fps.

If your into sim racing, or flight sims its just as rewarding in sims like rfactor 2, assetto corsa, iracing, X-plane and DCS world.

All of the above are the ONLY reason I purchased the vive. You don't need it to enjoy the games,and in some of those its a pain in the ass to use, but the immersion factor is incredible. There are flaws and its not perfect with VR and you do pay a pretty price hardware wise, but I also spend several hundred on enthusiast racing wheels and joysticks, and I don't have any other hobbies.

16. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    I did not know this! :D

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeap, they are both a lot of fun, and the workshop content that fans make for the game is out standing, as is the support from the games makers, hence why it is one of the few games i bought all the extra content for because these devs actually continue to support the game.

But in VR these games just shine, so if you don't already have them then grab them as they are really enjoyable, assuming delivering beans from the Uk to Europe is your thing, it is mine. lol

18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @XP-200

Oh yes, the Truck simulator series are a great waste of a Sunday afternoon.

Herbal remedy, bottle of Vodka, some music and it's just you and the highway … for hours.

It's endlessly cathartic.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm coming to the challenge of figuring out what to do with the vive after the baby arrives. I'm moving my gaming rig, which is currently in the living room hooked up to a large 4k tv, to my small office and hooking it up to a 4k monitor. Not much room to roam around in vr now like I had before. Maybe I might have to stick to driving simulators and seated experiences. Or I might fork up the cash for that wireless adapter. Anyone know what the range is on that?

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Those wireless adpators seem not only very expensive but seem to have issue with lag and connection issues, something you never want in VR, but forget that minor issue, the battery is right on top of your head, now call me old Mr Worry Worry, but i don't want any over heating charged battery sitting on my skull. lol